reader

Fire on board Air Asia flight quickly extinguished

From Thai PBS World

A passenger’s cell phone power bank, in their carry-on luggage, caught fire during a Thai Air Asia flight this morning, but the fire was quickly put out by the crew.

Thai Air Asia said in a statement that the incident took place on flight FD3188, from Don Mueang airport to Nakhon Si Thammarat province at 7.20am this morning.

Smoke was seen emanating from the overhead luggage compartment, but the crew quickly used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. The flight, its passengers and crew all landed safely, the statement said.

Thai Air Asia thanked the passengers who alerted the crew and helped in extinguishing the fire.

The airline also warned passengers to check their reserve batteries or power banks, to make sure that they meet the required quality specifications, adding that no spare batteries or power banks can be loaded in their hold luggage and must be kept in their carry-on bags only.

2 hours ago, reader said:

From Thai PBS World

A passenger’s cell phone power bank, in their carry-on luggage, caught fire during a Thai Air Asia flight this morning, but the fire was quickly put out by the crew.

The airline also warned passengers to check their reserve batteries or power banks, to make sure that they meet the required quality specifications, adding that no spare batteries or power banks can be loaded in their hold luggage and must be kept in their carry-on bags only.

Does anyone know how this happens? I've never heard of such a thing.

I always travel with at least two fully charged power banks for my devices. If a power bank isn't being used, how can it catch fire?

5 hours ago, reader said:

Out of all of the airports I fly to, with a power bank in my backpack, Bangkok is the only one to hand inspect it, now I know why...mine is allowed because it's not big (well depends on what country I'm in, it's all relative 😁)  @namazu had one taken away from him, was too big, such a size queen, lol