firecat69

Expected Tips in Chiang Mai

Guest mauRICE

As also posted, I visited 4 different massage parlours - Mystic Orient Massage, His Club (twice), River House Massage and 2 Brothers (twice). Each had a menu with minimum tips listed for each type and length of massage. I really cannot remember the amounts (about Bt. 500 to Bt. 900 for between one and two hours) but it's all there for you in black and white. This is the tip you must pay to the masseur, unless you feel you've had a really good time and want to give more.

Really? This does not seem like normal business practice and would almost certainly put off Thai customers as they don't like to be told how much to tip. Could you perhaps have misunderstood and the prices referred to were for the services provided (payable to the centre) and not the minimum tips for the masseur?

Really? This does not seem like normal business practice and would almost certainly put off Thai customers as they don't like to be told how much to tip.

Maybe they show separate 'menus' to Thai customers. I don't go for massages more than once in a blue moon, but I've been to a couple at which the 'menu' includes "suggested" tips. One of those massages was right here in Pattaya - Nobody Massage on Pattaya Nua (North Road). However, these places were still 'up to you' regarding tips despite the suggested amounts.

A suggested tip amount is one thing, but if I were to enter a massage and they've put a mandatory tip in writing, right on the menu, I'd turn around and walk out the door.

Guest fountainhall

Could you perhaps have misunderstood and the prices referred to were for the services provided (payable to the centre) and not the minimum tips for the masseur?

Minimum tips have been posted at many massage venues for at least a couple of years, and not just in Chiang Mai. In each Chiang Mai venue I was given a menu of massages along with their prices. Minimum tips to be paid directly to the masseur were also on a menu, but I can not recall if it was the same as the massage menu.

To check, I have looked at some other websites. On cruisingforsex.com there is a post dated 23 January 2008 –

“Massages in Chiangmai are getting very expensive, even more than in BKK. One-2-come now has minimum tip of 800 baht, and Gemini massage is 700 baht for hour massage.”

On the same thread, immediately following a visit to Chiang Mai, I commented –

“The minimum tip depends on the length of the massage - usually from 45 minutes to 2 hours. At Mystic it was Bt. 600 for 90 minutes. At HIS, I seem to recall it was Bt. 800 for 90 minutes.”

I doubt if I would have written so soon after my visit unless it had been accurate. Whilst I do not go for a massage very often in Bangkok, I know that Aqua and Senso definitely have minium tips. Aqua used to have a sign behind reception with the minimum amount. As far as Senso is concerned, here’s a post from GT on this Board only a few weeks ago -

The price for the massage was in the 1000-1100B range. No minimum tip posted, but the manager told me 1000B/ 1 hr or 1200B/ 1 1/2 hr.

An here's another quote re Senso on trevy.com made this month –

“Mandatory MINIMUM TIP.: 60mins. is 1,000.Bh..!, for 90mins. is 1,200.B”

Since the lists I saw were all in English, I am sure GB is correct in suggesting that different quotes are provided for Thai clientele.

A bit pedantic to argue about whether it's a fee or a tip. Just like suggesting that what you pay a boy after offing him from a bar is just a discretionary tip (yea, I suppose you could voluntarily elect to pay him 15 baht for a blowjob just like he can voluntarily elect to muay thai your ass to Koh Larn!).

Call it what you will (it's actually irrelevant) but the boy must be paid. And many of the massage joints up here have suggested minimums.

Guest fountainhall

I've heard it said in relation to the bar scene that if you call it a fee, it becomes prostitution, whereas if it's a tip, it's . . .well, I'm not sure what, but clearly more semantically acceptable!

An interesting point and you're probably right.

I am only responding because I have had 3 beers and feel I can put pen to paper!( or whatever) and hopefully dont offend too many people.

I live here, have a long term boyfriend, so really not in the market for an extra marital affair!

However, and it may have been all said before in earlier posts( most of which I found a little long winded) but my answer to the situation is...

For those visitors who arrive on a yearly basis and have scraped and saved for the year and wish to blow the lot,( pun not intended) or those that come loaded with money, must pay whatever they feel they want to pay for a paid prostitute.

However those people that come here on a budget or are careful in the way they spend there money are entitled to want a different set of parameters!

An example to this would be...did they negotiate on there room rates before they came? ( Remember that hotels are 40% down so why not negotiate!) Did they decide what their daily allowance would be?

If so then I believe that they are entitled to get whatever deal they can get for a service that is provided( whether that be a prostitute or a T shirt at Mikes department store(

It is up to the person to negotiate and decide. If that means they have got a prostitute short time for 300 baht or 800 baht long time then thats up to the boy....he has the choice. But to simply say that 1000 or 1500 is the average at this economic time is wrong. If you want to pay it that's up to you. Negotiate,thats up to you.

As an example I know that there are a number of very nice lads( but still prostitutes) who would happily stay overnight long term for a 1000 baht or even less. Times are hard for a lot of people!

Please dont make me feel a cheapskate because I know that this economic downturn effects everyone not just Thai prostitutes and if we can get a deal in our own Country we would try!!

Sorry but mine has got just as long winded!!

I believe that they are entitled to get whatever deal they can get for a service that is provided

You are not alone. Many share your opinion. I would suggest that if you do not wish to pay the "standard," then at least make sure the boy understands, in advance of agreeing to go with you, what you are willing to pay. If you're offering 300 baht and the boy accepts that amount, then that's his decision. However, I wouldn't expect top quality "service" for that amount if I were you.

Guest fountainhall

But to simply say that 1000 or 1500 is the average at this economic time is wrong. If you want to pay it that's up to you. Negotiate,thats up to you.

As one of the long-winded ones (sorry!) and one who agrees with the minimum tips outlined in this thread, I nevertheless commend you for your considered comments. As GB says, as long as the boy knows what he's likely to receive and agrees - and it's all done with a smile, I say "go for it".

In all respect to kotter, for me a Cheap Charlie is still a Cheap Charlie. I am one who does scrimp and save and look for bargains so that when in Thailand I can afford to be considerate in my "tipping". But there are others, who have money, but hate to part with it. Everything must be a bargain and all must be negotiated in order for them to enjoy themselves. I have seen affluent people return to the their table at a restaurant to "retrieve" a forgotten item and then pick up a generous tip left by his dining companions.

Perhaps, rather then refer to an "average" tip of 1000/1500 Baht, it might be better to use the term "norm" as in a normal distribution (the familiar bell curve). One significant deviation from the "norm" would give a range of 660-1340 Baht/short time and 990-2010 Baht/long time. (Yes, I was a physicist). Tipping less then a standard deviation would indicate you are a Scrooge while tipping above makes you a Diamond Jim.

And, of course, nothing posted here will likely change the tipping habits of resident expats or frequent flyers, but maybe for the newbies to Thailand these posts will be of some value or amusement.

Guest fountainhall

Tipping less then a standard deviation would indicate you are a Scrooge while tipping above makes you a Diamond Jim.

A good thought. But if you are a Scrooge, I assume you must be aware that you are so inclined. In which case, presumably nothing will induce you to change your parsimonious proclivities, certainly not a norm with a maximum and minimum? You will surely grovel at the lower end each and every time. Similarly with Diamond Jims at the higher end.

An issue that has not yet featured in these posts is that it is often possible to get away with paying less - by avoiding the off fee. If you fancy a boy in a bar, I know people who will chat him up over one drink and then arrange to meet him after the bar has closed - or the next morning or afternoon. Assuming he is not thereafter offed by another customer, he will be ready, willing and able to meet you close to the bar or an your home/hotel. At the very least, you have avoided the off fee, and I'm told that the boys themselves see this rather as extra-curricular activities and happily avail themselves for less. I'm sure the bar owners get really pissed off about it, but they know it happens and are probably in no position to do much about it.

Also, as this Board has made clear, if you are adventurous and can find a way of popping over to Saranrom Park after around 10:00pm, you will find a host of willing students and other young guys who happily accept 500 Baht as their going short-time rate. Even with the cost of the taxi and a room at a short time hotel, surely our Scrooge can not have many complaints! :angry:

Also, as this Board has made clear, if you are adventurous and can find a way of popping over to Saranrom Park after around 10:00pm, you will find a host of willing students and other young guys who happily accept 500 Baht as their going short-time rate. Even with the cost of the taxi and a room at a short time hotel, surely our Scrooge can not have many complaints! :angry:

First, I don't know where the word "average" is coming from. Most of the time it has been referred to as a standard, not referred to as an average.

But that's standard for farang. You know why at Saranrom Park, among other places, the standard is 500 baht? Because very few farang ever venture out there. Then who are all these boys waiting for? They're waiting for Thai customers, that's who. When was the last time you saw adult Thais in any of the go-go bars taking boys off? When was the last time you saw adult Thai customers in the bars at all, unless they were with a farang friend?

That's because the Thais aren't about to be paying 150 baht for drinks, paying off fees, or giving these boys 1000 baht tips, on up.

It's just a different thing for the Thais. It isn't limited to the bars. One example is the Thai foot massages. Most of the places farang encounter charge 200 to 400 baht for foot massages. It's a little different once you get away from the tourist areas. In my neighborhood, for example, the same foot massage costs 100 baht.

Most of the time when I go to Bangkok I prefer staying at the Malaysia Hotel or the Pinnacle Hotel. Every so often, when I go to Bangkok I stay in the Saphan Kwai area. The hotel where I stay charges 700 baht . . . for farang. I had a Thai boy call in a reservation. The price quoted to him was 400 baht. When the hotel realized the reservation was made in behalf of a farang, whoops! The price went right back up to 700 baht.

You are not alone. Many share your opinion. I would suggest that if you do not wish to pay the "standard," then at least make sure the boy understands, in advance of agreeing to go with you, what you are willing to pay. If you're offering 300 baht and the boy accepts that amount, then that's his decision. However, I wouldn't expect top quality "service" for that amount if I were you.

I am not sure if you are referring to me with the above statement or was meant in an open way (I did say I am not in the market for extra marital affairs!)

However I would like to take you up on the " I wouldnt expect top quality service for a lower price".

No one but no one is going to know what they are going to get if they pay 1000 or 400 baht. It is only afterwards that a possible confrontation takes place!! The guy can promise the earth for either of the figures but you will never find out until the contracts closed....and then the possible arguments happen. Do you bow out or is the full amount paid to avoid any unpleasantness!

I also believe that there are plenty of people out there that will give you quality and value for your money even when it is at a lower figure.

Guest lvdkeyes

In Pattaya, many of the bar boys who haven't been taken off head for the food stalls along Pattaya Tai when the bars close. You can find some nice choices there.

Guest fountainhall

In Pattaya, many of the bar boys who haven't been taken off head for the food stalls along Pattaya Tai when the bars close. You can find some nice choices there.

The same is true at the street eateries around the top of Suriwong in Bangkok. Walk past and several pairs of eyes will look at you. Look back and you will note some smiling faces hinting "come hither" or "i'll come thither" :p

If it was me, I would post my question and if somebody doesn't like the idea that I posted my question or tells me my question bores him, that would be his problem, not mine. How long does it take to read somebody's question? How are you going to feel if you post a question and the next thing you know you've got people telling you your question bores them or they start putting you down?

Maybe I'm wierd, but when I see a repeat of something posted before and I'm not interested, I find it a lot quicker to point my mouse at my scroll bar or back arrow and pass on to the next question rather than pitching a fuss, as I type real slow and it takes time to create a post.

In the past, I have tried to search for previously asked questions and found that maybe 6 to 12 months had passed since the last response to that question. So most times I appreciate when a question is repeated. Some of us can only get to Thailand once a year or less, and a lot changes between visits.

Guest fountainhall

In the past, I have tried to search for previously asked questions and found that maybe 6 to 12 months had passed since the last response to that question. So most times I appreciate when a question is repeated.

Hallelujah! Someone else finds the SEARCH bar useful! (No this post is definitely not directed at any anyone at all :rolleyes: )