Guest PapaDavid

The coup - whats happening elsewhere?

Guest PapaDavid

All the activity seems to be in BKK. What's happening in Pattaya etc.

I know a public holiday has been ordered for today and that banks etc are supposed to be closed.

Any sign of troops on the streets or other indications of the coup there?

All the activity seems to be in BKK. What's happening in Pattaya etc.

I know a public holiday has been ordered for today and that banks etc are supposed to be closed.

Any sign of troops on the streets or other indications of the coup there?

I was out a few times today and saw no sign of military presence. I am in Jomptien and did not go downtown Pattaya. I will venture out later and give you a full report.

Guest freeyourmind

I was driving and walking around a little this morning and what I saw was the Thais all had their TV's tuned to the news channels instead of the soap operas.

For all you mongers, the bars are waiting for the word from the police as to being allowed to open tonight.

I was driving and walking around a little this morning and what I saw was the Thais all had their TV's tuned to the news channels instead of the soap operas.

For all you mongers, the bars are waiting for the word from the police as to being allowed to open tonight.

Everything is perfectly normal in Pattaya. If it weren't for the news, you wouldn't know a coup had even taken place. The Thai people are all behaving as if nothing happened at all. They're not even bothering to talk about it. Other than the press and the coup leaders themselves, the general populace doesn't seem to give a damn about it in any way.

Guest takesall

Everything is perfectly normal in Pattaya. If it weren't for the news, you wouldn't know a coup had even taken place. The Thai people are all behaving as if nothing happened at all. They're not even bothering to talk about it. Other than the press and the coup leaders themselves, the general populace doesn't seem to give a damn about it in any way.

How wrong you are about the Thais not giving a damn.

Many worry about their future in terms of wealth and freedom.

I am in touch with many teachers of Thai nationality and they are deeply interested as are other friends in other work situations.

Sannok.com amongst many Thai websites are almost grinding to a halt as Thais search for news.

Yes you are right in that the workers you probably mix with are those that sell their bodies and most lack education or interest in anything but the size of your tip!!

As regards Chiang Mai, I've been informed that there is military presence at the universities, in the vicinity of the governor's official and private residences as well as at major intersections leading to the former prime minister's ancestral home in Sankampaeng and holiday home in Mae Rim. Petrol stations were told to close at noon today until further notice presumably to discourage unneccessary movement and travel to the capital.

Yes you are right in that the workers you probably mix with are those that sell their bodies and most lack education or interest in anything but the size of your tip!!

Congratulations for making one of the most moronic remarks I've seen here in quite some time. Not only do you not have the first clue who I "mix with," but I report what I see for myself and I stand by my statement. If your observation has been different, then you could simply post what you've experienced without the snide comment about who you think I "mix with" or their interest and education level, which is also something about which you know nothing.

Guest takesall

Congratulations for making one of the most moronic remarks I've seen here in quite some time. Not only do you not have the first clue who I "mix with," but I report what I see for myself and I stand by my statement. If your observation has been different, then you could simply post what you've experienced without the snide comment about who you think I "mix with" or their interest and education level, which is also something about which you know nothing.

Member No.: 2,333

I quote you from an entry you made on Bangkok parks and hustlers. I quote you below from your own posting. I see you mix with rentboys etc.

Yes I apologise your perception is your reality but then in my opinion your perception is formed on

a narrow minded perspective.

Gaybujtton wrote ''Wow. What a night. What a side of Bangkok I have not seen before. I am not really sure where to start so here goes.

I met a taxi driver who was wonderful and offered for me many suggestions for cruising., He agreed to meet me at 7PM to start the tour., He did not show but kept calling and saying he would be there in 10 min. I hate when someone is late and I hired a car from my hotel as I had the itch to see the street scene.

We started out by the park close to the Royal Palace. There are a great number of boys there at night and working. They are easy to spot. Slow your car down and they will yell out 500 bath. The area is Saran Ramn Park. There is a canal along the street of Khu Myang Doem. You can go up and down that area and find many boys. When I say boys, I do mean 18 and up as almost 98 percent of what we saw were twenties.''

Gaybujtton wrote ''Wow. What a night. What a side of Bangkok I have not seen before. I am not really sure where to start so here goes.

I met a taxi driver who was wonderful and offered for me many suggestions for cruising., He agreed to meet me at 7PM to start the tour., He did not show but kept calling and saying he would be there in 10 min. I hate when someone is late and I hired a car from my hotel as I had the itch to see the street scene.

We started out by the park close to the Royal Palace. There are a great number of boys there at night and working. They are easy to spot. Slow your car down and they will yell out 500 bath. The area is Saran Ramn Park. There is a canal along the street of Khu Myang Doem. You can go up and down that area and find many boys. When I say boys, I do mean 18 and up as almost 98 percent of what we saw were twenties.''

I believe it was GayThailand who wrote this.

No offence meant GB and I am NOT looking for a fight, but I would like to say I have been very surprised and frankly pleased by the reaction of most Thai's I know and have observed.

A Thai, who shows no interest in politics, was the first to alert me last night that Mr Thaksin had been cut off mid stream on Channel 9. Mind you, he was more perturbed that he couldn't watch the soccer later.

At Bangkok Pattaya Hospital this morning Thai's were standing in big groups watching the news and all appeared pleased.

I admit for some time I despaired that the local (Pattaya) Thai's did not care about what was happening, but I now wonder if it was their traditional politeness/manners camouflaging their true feelings.

The Thai's I met today seemed very relieved some on the verge of rejoicing and more significantly, some were previous supporters of the Prime Minister influenced no doubt by the hand out to the farming community they came from.

Guest PapaDavid

The Thai's I met today seemed very relieved some on the verge of rejoicing and more significantly, some were previous supporters of the Prime Minister influenced no doubt by the hand out to the farming community they came from.

The fol info is the result of the latest poll by BKK Biz News, which has been reported on another forum:

FOR the coup

Bangkok 81.6%

Up-country 86.36%

AGAINST the coup

Bangkok 18.4%

Up-country 13.64%

Very surprising that Thaksin's support in the countryside seems to have evaporated !

The fol info is the result of the latest poll by BKK Biz News, which has been reported on another forum:

FOR the coup

Bangkok 81.6%

Up-country 86.36%

AGAINST the coup

Bangkok 18.4%

Up-country 13.64%

Very surprising that Thaksin's support in the countryside seems to have evaporated !

These numbers are probably skewed since most Thais would not have immediate access to a computer and would not participate in a poll from an English speaking newspaper (BKK Post) either. His numbers maybe way down outside of Bangkok but I suspect he is still popular in Isaan and the north (Chiang Mai).

Guest PapaDavid

These numbers are probably skewed since most Thais would not have immediate access to a computer and would not participate in a poll from an English speaking newspaper (BKK Post) either. His numbers maybe way down outside of Bangkok but I suspect he is still popular in Isaan and the north (Chiang Mai).

Numbers are not from BKK Post but Bangkok Biz News (a Thai language web site).

However agree with you that numbers may be skewed due to the short time since the coup took place.

I quote you from an entry you made on Bangkok parks and hustlers. I quote you below from your own posting. I see you mix with rentboys etc.

Yes I apologise your perception is your reality but then in my opinion your perception is formed on

a narrow minded perspective.

I hate to break the bad news, but I wrote no such thing. If you read a little more carefully, you'll find that post was made by GayThailand, not Gaybutton. Even if I had written it, your remark was totally uncalled for and utterly ridiculous.

I suggest changing your handle and re-registering. I think you just kissed your credibility goodbye. You can continue posting as "takesall" if you wish and I'm sure your posts will be given consideration . . . for what they are worth.

Now, now Gaybutton even though I agree with you let's not get off topic. The coup is a serious matter. Remember you don't want to become invisible :) Keep relaxed, you have provided wonderful reports. It has been hard for me to get updates and I have relied on you and Tee Pee and others to find out what is going on. 3 deep breathes, 3 deep breathes...feel better?

feel better?

I do. I've had my say. Now it's back to letting people know what's going on around here.

The following article is the most recent and most accurate I have been able to find:

_____

BANGKOK, Sept 21 (TNA)

Thai Army Commander-in-Chief Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin assured members of the diplomatic corps that the Administrative Reform Council he chairs will restore normalcy soon by effecting an interim constitution, appointing a civilian prime minister within two weeks and a constitution-drafting body as soon as possible.

Gen. Sonthi also said that no legal action is being taken against ousted caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family.

Over 70 members of the diplomatic corps representing 43 countries and various international organisations attended the briefing at the Army headquarters chaired by Gen. Sonthi.

Gen. Sonthi explained through translator the reasons why the Council had to seize power. He pledged to put an interim Constitution in place within two weeks, along with appointment of a civilian prime minister. New elections will take place in a year's time.

At the same time, a legislative body and a constitutional drafting council will be appointed to expedite works towards a general election, he said.

Moreover, Gen. Sonthi pledged ARC will abide by all UN charters and agreements, as well as all international treaties Thailand has committed to. The country will also maintain good ties with the world community.

Gen. Sonthi told the diplomatic corps that the coup took place peacefully with "cooperation from the people and without resistance." The Council was also granted an audience with their Majesties the King and Queen.

Responding to the questions posed by diplomats, Gen. Sonthi said that the martial law applies only to designated areas and it is not enforced in the border areas.

To the question of what the ARC intends to do with Mr. Thaksin and his family, Gen. Sonthi said there is no action whatsoever planned against the former prime minister and members of his family who enjoy every right as Thai citizens.

(TNA)-E007

The coup - whats happening elsewhere?

This morning I was listening to the news on BBC Radio 4. At 7 AM the coup was No 3 of the news headlines. At 8 AM it did not even get mentioned as a news headline but was commented on later in the news. Some dodgy football (soccer for the non English speaking boardmembers) deals in England seemed to be more important. But it was still a major news item when I was watching TV this evening.

Thaksin arrived at Gatwick today and I can report that I did not see a single tank when I drove past the airport on my way home this evening. Apparently he is now staying at a place he owns in Kensington - a rather posh area of London. So far the British government appears to be a bit undecided about how to deal with him. It is a bit like wait and have a cup of tea while observing what is going on in Thailand before they commit themselves to anything.

The coup was also on the front page of most of the major newspapers:

The Times: "Thai coup as generals seize power in Bangkok"

The Daily Telegraph: "Army mounts coup in Thailand"

From what I notice from here life in Thailand seems to be pretty normal. At least the e-mails with demands for money can still be send without any major disruption.

TomUK

From what I notice from here life in Thailand seems to be pretty normal. At least the e-mails with demands for money can still be send without any major disruption.

Ha! That's a great observation and certainly true. He's absolutely right, guys. Got a boyfriend in Thailand? I'm afraid the coup isn't going to give you a break from coughing up the money. Regimes may change, but the money flow goes merrily on. Some things never change. I wonder how long it will take before we start hearing stories about certain young gentlemen using the coup as the latest excuse for "you can send money to me?".

In case you've been losing sleep over what is happening with Thaksin, here's the latest from THE NATION:

_____

Ousted PM's Desperate, Frustrated Hours

On his flight from New York to London, deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra looked calm, resigned and, in his own words, "jobless".

"I didn't expect this incident would happen," Thaksin was quoted by the Thai News Agency (TNA) as telling reporters on the chartered plane as he headed for the United Kingdom.

"I was prime minister when I came, and I was jobless on the way back," he told TNA, in his first remarks to reporters since being overthrown.

"I volunteered to work for the country - [but] if they don't want me to do that - I won't," he reportedly said.

Thaksin was in New York to attend a meeting of the UN General Assembly when military leaders staged the coup late on Tuesday. He left on Wednesday for London, where he maintains a residence and where he was expected to meet with his family, amid growing speculation that he might seek a political exile there.

"I was in contact with my family the entire time this was happening, and I was also in contact with the military," he told TNA.

However, the former PM was silent on whether he would seek exile in England after he and a small number of accompanying ministers arrived in London. His wife Pojaman reportedly flew from Bangkok to Singapore on Monday with ousted PM's Office Minister Newin Chidchob, and from there both took a flight to London to wait for Thaksin.

Apparently accepting defeat, Thaksin left on a Thai Royal Air Force plane for London with Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai, spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee, his personal assistant Padung Limcharoenrat, deputy commander of the Special Branch Maj-General Atthasit Thareechatra and secretary to the ousted prime minister, Maris Cheysanguan.

Thaksin's chief adviser, Pansak Vinyaratn, who has had several direct experiences with coups under other former Thai prime ministers, was not seen on the flight to London with Thaksin.

At first, Thaksin reportedly wanted to fly to London by a chartered Russian flight, but later changed his plan and flew in the Air Force plane.

Yesterday morning Thaksin and his close aides held an intense discussion in his hotel room at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York about the situation in Thailand. They were briefed regularly by someone calling from Bangkok and monitored the developments on CNN.

Holed up in the plush New York hotel, Thaksin could do little but watch his own apparent downfall on television. As tanks rumbled through Bangkok's streets, he huddled with top aides in the luxurious, 1,400-room Grand Hyatt in the bustling heart of Manhattan.

Cut off, 11 times zones from home, and with his political fate hanging by a thread, Thaksin launched a desperate, cross-continental rearguard action. But as the coup reached a climax, his aides in New York admitted they were losing touch.

In an ironic twist, the man who made billions from telecommunications could not phone home. Troops had seized government communications lines, a Thai official said on condition of anonymity.

"It is very difficult to communicate with people, to get to know the exact situation there," the official said.

Thaksin tried to get access to TV Pool to declare a state of emergency and announce the removal of the Army chief, but he was only able to get Channel 9's cooperation.

"TV Pool denied him the signal, and he looked very testy and his face told all," a source close to him said.

An initial attempt to get iTV on board seemed promising, but due to some unexplained problems his former TV station could not serve as a broadcast outlet for his crucial announcements. In the end, he could only rely on Channel 9. When broadcast was done and he was about to finish reading his third announcement, he saw the writing on the wall.

As messages flashed across television screens in Thailand declaring martial law in Bangkok, defiant Thaksin aides insisted he would not relinquish power.

"The prime minister is quite calm," a senior official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

"He watched President George W Bush speak at the UN General Assembly from his hotel room," the official said.

As United States' news networks bracketed Bush's speech with pictures of military personnel carriers rolling through the streets of Bangkok, Thaksin can hardly have avoided also witnessing the political earthquake back home.

"He feels he is the elected prime minister and he would like to safeguard the Constitution of the country," the official told AFP.

During that time, he tried to call his Cabinet members, but only managed to get through to former Natural Resources and Environment Minister Yongyuth Tiyapairat, another source told The Nation.

Thaksin aides, meanwhile, hurried to rewrite his speech to the General Assembly - brought forward from Wednesday to about 6pm Bangkok time on Tuesday because of the fast-moving crisis in Bangkok.

In the Grand Hyatt lobby, journalists and a few expat Thais gathered, desperate to learn Thaksin's fate. Elsewhere, the bustle of New York life went on undisturbed.

Outside the UN, meanwhile, anti-Thaksin demonstrators gathered, chanting "Thaksin go to hell".

"We normally don't like coups," said 48-year-old Chanyute Oottamakorn, a New York City employee originally from Nakhon Sri Thammarat. "But this time we welcome it. We needed it because he's so stubborn," he said.

"We are happy," said another protester, a woman in her 50s who declined to give her name. She described Thaksin's regime as a corrupt group of liars.

Confusion reigned at the Thai embassy in Washington, DC. "We are watching it on CNN," an official said.

Finally, Thaksin's speech at the UN General Assembly was cancelled as the coup reached a global audience, putting him and the delegates in an awkward position.

Thaksin sensed that something was seriously wrong when he discovered that the man who ended up leading the coup, General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, did not show up for a Cabinet meeting via teleconference. The Army chief was reportedly playing golf with other coup plotters.

Shortly after that, Thaksin tried to appoint Supreme Commander General Ruengroj Mahasaranond to the post of Army chief. At about 9pm Bangkok time, reporters were summoned to his room. They sat and listened as he called Bangkok to declare a state of emergency. His voice was shaky and almost choked with emotion.

According to another report, the latest effort to contain Thaksin involves revoking the ousted premier's travel document.

The idea was to force him to stay in one place, and bar him from moving around to drum up support.

The Nation, Agencies

Numbers are not from BKK Post but Bangkok Biz News (a Thai language web site).

However agree with you that numbers may be skewed due to the short time since the coup took place.

You're right, I was mistaken. You must read ...I'm impressed (I'm trying to learn).