payless

Dental treatment - 4 extractons and 8 implants

I have just had some major dental surgery which included 4 extractions and 8 implants all done in 2 hours under general anaesthetic.

I looked at several hospitals and clinics in Bangkok and the Pattaya area. I wanted an all inclusive price quote in writing so that I knew what the cost will be and I would not get extras thrown at me on every visit.

The biggest obstacle was getting a quote in writing as the dental hospital/clinics seem to be scared of committing themselves to anything. I eventually settled for Phyathai hospital in Sri Racha. I paid about ฿500 for the first consultation and a digital x-ray. The price agreed at this consultation was ฿40,000 per implant and ฿16,000 for the general anaesthetic and ฿600 administrative fee. I was topay approximately half on the implants being fitted and the remainder in 3 months when I return to have the 'teeth' inserted. Anyway total price ฿336,600.

A teaching hospital in BKk was the most expensive quote at nearly ฿700,000, Bkk-Pattaya declined to give an all-in quote saying I had to pay for the operating theater by the hour. The cost would have been about ฿530,000. Clinics were ruled out as they generally don't have the setup for general anaesthetic. Clinics were about ฿450,000 to ฿500,000.

The day of the operation went as follows. Appointment at 9am met by a Scottish guy working there and then handed over to a very nice looking Thai guy who spoke excellent English. he walked me through the process and after signing several forms was taken to the operating theater at 10.15. Had to remove all clothes and jewelery and was given a coat to wear. Changed in the toilet. I woke up about 2 hours later hearing the words in Thai 'seht lao' (finished).

Taken to an observation room where there were 2 other patients and left to sleep it off until about 2.30 when I was taken home by BF. In the obs. room they took my blood pressure regularly

and gave me pain killers. The dentist also came to see how I was. On leaving I was taken by the interpreter to the cashier and got charged the grand amount of ฿16,000 as they said I had to pay only for the operating theater on this visit. In their written quote it stated I had to pay ฿176,000 on the first visit. I could not persuade them to take more than ฿16,000.

All in all Phyathai was well organized and took very good care of me. They also advised me that the basic implant was good enough for me as I would not outlive them if I practice good oral hygiene.

Phyathai discounted me from their listed prices about ฿50,000. It pays to shop around in most places you can achieve a discounted price.

Payless

Phayathai Hospital is on the Soi that runs on the North side of Robinson Department store - you can see their sign from the intersection with Sukhumvit (Northwest corner of Robinson Dept Store). Sriracha is about 40 minutes from Pattaya traveling North on Sukhumvit (Highway 3).

It is associated with the Phayathai hospitals in Bangkok. The Scottish guy is named Gavin and he is in their International Relations Department. He can be contacted by telephoning 038-770-200/8 Ext: 2426. He is very helpful and can answer most questions about the Hospital. They have one wing that caters to westerners (some English speaking nursing staff) with room comparably equipped to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, but not decorated quite so nicely with regular TVs instead of flat screen -- I do not recall the room rate, but it is I believe a bit less than Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. Most signs in the Hospital are in Thai and unlike Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, a lot of the staff other than the Doctors do not speak English (most of the Doctors speak English to some degree). However, as mentioned by the OP, Gavin arranged for him to have an interpreter that spoke good English. They are similarly equipped to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, but may not have the latest diagnostic equipment (they do offer CT scans, etc.).

Guest fountainhall

I have obviously led a sheltered life. After living in Bangkok for 8 years I'd never heard of Sri Ratcha. I rather assumed it was a district in greater Bangkok.

Guest taylorsquare

Next time im in Pattaya i will go back to the dentist in Day Night just opp the entrance.

However i want a tooth inserted into a gap.

Is this called a crown?

Would anyone know the cost roughly to put a fake tooth in and screw it in?

and what is this procedure called?

A crown is a cap placed over an existing tooth, usually necessary if a tooth breaks or if root canal treatment was necessary.

A prosthetic tooth is called an implant. Depending on what procedure is needed and what kind of implant is needed, in Thailand expect to pay somewhere between 30,000 to 60,000 baht.

Guest fountainhall

A prosthetic tooth is called an implant. Depending on what procedure is needed and what kind of implant is needed, in Thailand expect to pay somewhere between 30,000 to 60,000 baht.

Up till quite recently, the most common treatment for a gap was to insert a bridge. Effectively this places crowns/caps on to the adjacent teeth with a false tooth attached between them - hence 'bridge'. The centre tooth does not penetrate the skin. It kind of lies on top of it. The cost is the equivalent of 3 crowns: very approx. Bt. 40,000 - Bt. 50,000. I have had two bridges at the sides of my mouth for decades. Some journals will tell you they last about ten years. Mine lasted more than 20 years before it was suggested they be replaced. Given the preference now, though, I'd opt for an implant.

Some journals will tell you they last about ten years. Mine lasted more than 20 years before it was suggested they be replaced. Given the preference now, though, I'd opt for an implant.

I understand also that implants are used to anchor a full set of dentures which sounds like a good idea. I would ask "payless" his reasons for 8 implants but I am afraid to ask. If it were my front teeth I think I would do same same.