TotallyOz

Boys Bangkok Drinks now 300 baht

Guest fountainhall

Went to Jupiter with friends last night in BKK and lasted all of 30 seconds. The music was so loud it was incredibly painful on the ears. Yet the place was packed, mostly with Thais and Asians. Popped into X-Boys on Soi Twilight. Drinks there remain Bt. 250.

If anyone out there really wants to pay 250 to 300 baht for a drink at a go-go bar, fine with me. Personally, I think it's highway robbery and you won't find me setting foot in any bars that charge so outrageously.

I doubt that this is the only web site on which complaints about these prices appear. I also doubt that none of the Bangkok bar owners read these web sites. I would like very much to see a post from any bar owner who charges these prices explaining why and justifying their rates.

Guest Oogleman
I would like very much to see a post from any bar owner who charges these prices explaining why and justifying their rates.

I fear you may be waiting a very long time lol

I would like very much to see a post from any bar owner who charges these prices explaining why and justifying their rates.

how much are the drink prices at the bars and restaurants at 5 star hotels? do they have to justify their rates to you as well? do Mercedes and BMW need to justify their car prices? businesses charge what they perceive the target market will pay and most people complaining about the prices are not in the target audience!

"if you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford it"

bkkguy

Guest fountainhall

If anyone out there really wants to pay 250 to 300 baht for a drink at a go-go bar, fine with me. Personally, I think it's highway robbery and you won't find me setting foot in any bars that charge so outrageously

What I found most interesting is that, whilst some might have been Asian tourists enjoying an extended holiday, the vast majority of those in the audience at both Jupiter and X-Boys seemed to be Thais. And the few boys I saw being taken out were also by Thais. I have noticed this trend in the Soi Twilight bars over the last couple of years - far less farang and far more Thais.

how much are the drink prices at the bars and restaurants at 5 star hotels? do they have to justify their rates to you as well? do Mercedes and BMW need to justify their car prices?

"if you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford it"

I have never believed in that 'if you have to ask how much . . .' cliche. I don't mind spending money, but I mind rip-offs very much. If I had the money Bill Gates has, I would still mind being ripped off.

In my opinion, you analogy has no validity. 5-star hotels all are expensive and they offer luxuries that are not found in less expensive hotels. With regard to go-go bars, the only difference I can see between one bar and another is the price. So yes, I think the bars do have to justify it. I don't think I'm stepping out of line by wanting to know why a bar that offers nothing that can't be found in other bars is charging 2 to 3 times the price.

However, justified or not, I'm not going to pay a bar 300 baht for a drink when I can go to another bar and get the same drink for 100 baht.

Guest fountainhall

how much are the drink prices at the bars and restaurants at 5 star hotels? do they have to justify their rates to you as well

In several like Le Meridien in Suriwong, even most cocktails are less than Bt. 300 (including the tax and service charge). It may lack semi-naked guys and a big cock show, but the music is better, the atmosphere and lighting are top class, and there is sometimes some rather pleasing eye candy around! Plus spirits are given in proper measures; not the piddling amounts lavishly diluted in the gay bars.

However, justified or not, I'm not going to pay a bar 300 baht for a drink when I can go to another bar and get the same drink for 100 baht.

You are not paying 300 baht for the drink, rather 50 baht for the drink and 250 baht for the show.

I'll admit 300 baht is a little steep for the drinks, however if it's that profitable other people should open up in competition.

You are not paying 300 baht for the drink, rather 50 baht for the drink and 250 baht for the show.

If that's the case, then good. It won't cost me anything. That's because I won't be there at all. I don't like the shows and when I order a drink, I want a drink. Paying 50 baht or 10 baht or even free, if I order a gin and tonic, I expect to get what I've ordered. A glass of tonic with a slight hint of gin doesn't cut it for me. Neither does paying 300 baht for it. So, you gents who don't mind paying 300 baht for your drink can have it. I'll be elsewhere.

I'll be elsewhere.

Me too. Most likely in either a low-key (but up-market) host bar such as La Cage, or finding my male company by other means, popping into a mom & pop store for a large Singha or Tiger for me and whatever he's having and enjoying the rest of the evening unhampered by pushy mamasans, piercingly loud musak and wallet-sapping drinks prices.

(Technical note: La Cage serves up Happy Hour between 5 and 9 (if my memory serves) - my G & T costs 80 baht and comes with proper Schweppes tonic and in two glasses with ice and slice of lemon - once they missed the plastic stick but I can forgive the occasional oversight).

I'll be elsewhere.

Same me. The bars in soi twighlight must learn it on the hard way. In the good old times the "showbars" took only a high fee for the first drink to pay for the show and from the second drink you paid the normal price.

Also all bars who dont know what is a juice and what is a coloured sugarwater will miss me in the future.

from the second drink you paid the normal price.

If you go to just one bar with prices like that, have just one drink, buy just one drink for the boy, pay the off fee for the boy . . . by the time you're done you've already spent 1000 baht on that alone. Chances are that a lot more will have left your wallet before you've even taken a boy off. I suppose people in Bangkok on a one or two week holiday don't mind spending that much, especially when they compare those prices to prices where they came from, but for many of us who live here, our point of view is a little different.

Chances are that a lot more will have left your wallet before you've even taken a boy off.

In the old Adam&Eve in Pattaya long time ago the first drink was 150 baht incl. the show fee and next drinks have been 80 baht or little more. With this system I would not lose my wallet and I could sit and drink my juice or water without problems. Even if I don't have problems to pay 1000 baht for one drink in the Oriental or some 10000 baht for a night in good hotels I never would pay 300 baht for one soda water in a bar in soi Twilight.

for many of us who live here, our point of view is a little different.

I agree completely. As a tourist, I find Bangkok a little pricey, but considering the air fare & the fact I only stay in BKK for about 3 days it's not a problem.

Anyone there 365 days a year can afford the time to meet people on Gay Romeo etc & it's no disaster if one or two evenings are wasted, as there is always the week after.

Anyone there 365 days a year can afford the time to meet people on Gay Romeo etc & it's no disaster if one or two evenings are wasted, as there is always the week after.

It's amazing how attitudes can change once you are actually retired and living here. When I used to come to Thailand on a holiday I wanted to be in the bars before I even unpacked my luggage. If I was in my hotel room before 12:30am, I was in the bars even before I unpacked. If I missed a day getting to the bars or missed a day taking a boy off, I felt as if I was really losing something.

Now that I live here, the bar scene is rather ho-hum to me. I sometimes go for days or even weeks without setting foot in a bar at all and I don't feel as if I've missed a thing. That's one reason you'll never see me patronizing a bar that charges 300 baht for a drink. Why should I?

"All that you wanted, he would not even take."

- Anne Baxter, 'The Ten Commandments'

5-star hotels all are expensive and they offer luxuries that are not found in less expensive hotels. With regard to go-go bars, the only difference I can see between one bar and another is the price.

are you seriously saying you can see the difference between a 3 star and 5 star hotel and can see why the prices are higher but you cannot see any difference between say Copa and Happy Boys or Dream boys and Solid except for the price of the drinks?

while I am also unlikely to be seen in Dream Boys at 300 Baht a drink I think to say that the only difference between all the go-go bars in town is the price of their drinks is absurd

I judge bars by the quality of the boys (very subjective and personal), comfort, quality of drinks, location, quality of service, price, show/noshow etc and there are certainly 3 star and 5 star bars around and this is often (but not always) reflected in the drink price

bkkguy

are you seriously saying you can see the difference between a 3 star and 5 star hotel and can see why the prices are higher but you cannot see any difference between say Copa and Happy Boys or Dream boys and Solid except for the price of the drinks?

Yes, as a matter of fact that's what I'm saying. You know why? To this day I still have never been in the Copa, so I have no way to see the difference. Having never been in there, I have no idea what they charge for their drinks.

I don't go to any of the bars all that often in the first place, but when I do it's very rare for me to go to the Pattayaland bars.

I'm the friend of GT that told him about the price rise and I haven't been back since ,nor will I ever go back. But my feelings are not limited to Boys Bangkok. The other bars are rip offs just at a slightly lower level of 250 baht.

This is my 2nd extended stay in Bangkok (6 weeks) and I finally see no reason to go to these rip off joints. I have had unbelievable luck this trip on Gayromeo. There are 100's to choose from and once you learn the game,the success rate is far greater then any luck I ever had in the bars.

I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many boys I've seen from GayRomeo in the last 2 weeks but it is a substantial number and I only had one dud and he got sent away with cab fare and no complaints. The boys all cost me 1000 baht and sometimes a little extra for taxi. Contrast this with an average of 2300 baht in the bars. 1500 for the boy 4-500 for the off ,250-300 for 1 drink and any tips given out.

The sex has been much better and the boys are actually grateful for the money. Let me tell you in a 6 week stay , we are talking about a large amount of money saved. If I want to sit in a Bar,I'll go to Soi 4 where drinks are 1/2the price of the gogo bars and the eye candy is better.

My last trip to Pattaya , I found the same things apply, except at many of the bars ,the price of drinks allow you to have a good time,be generous to the boys and still spend far less then you would in a Bangkok Bar. Gayromeo still works and the price can be better then 1000 baht in most cases in Pattaya. I just find doing both in Pattaya suits my taste because I don't begrudge most of the Bar owners making a fair profit . The good operators like Funny Boys provide a good atmosphere and boys who know their jobs and do it well. I don't mind supporting that kind of bar.

I'm the friend of GT

I agree with every word of your post. Many of the boys on Gay Romeo are bar boys anyway.

If you enjoy the bar scene and enjoy finding boys in that manner, that's wonderful, but there's nothing wrong with understanding that's not the only way to find willing boys. Also, Gay Romeo is not the only web site on which to find personal ads and nice boys. I've met boys from:

http://www.ratefun.net

http://www.silverdaddies.com

http://www.gboysiam.com/picpos

I haven't regretted meeting any of them and have had wonderful experiences with them. On the Gboysiam site, many of the boys include their telephone numbers on their profiles. I never call them out of the blue. I start by sending a text message. Sometimes I get a response and sometimes I don't. When I do get a response, that's when I call.

The only negative I've experienced was being naive enough not to recognize that sometimes the boy is using photos that are not actually of himself, but photos he grabbed off the internet. It doesn't take long to recognize who is and is not using genuine photos of themselves. Most are genuine. If they post photos in which their heads are excluded from the photo, that's usually a dead giveaway that it's not the genuine article. But even then , that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't worth meeting the boy. One time the boy turned out to be far better looking, to my eyes, than the phony photos he used. When I asked him why he didn't post genuine photos of himself he said he was shy about using his own photos, so he just used photos he found that had a body similar to his own.

The point is there are alternatives to the bars. Some say that they're only in Thailand for a limited time on a holiday, so going to the bars is the quickest and easiest thing to do. That's not necessarily the case. You can easily make arrangements before you even make the trip. Once you're here you can also walk into any Internet shop and get on Gay Romeo. There are at least a few boys online virtually 24 hours a day. If you find someone you like and offer to pay for a motorbike taxi to bring him to you, often you have him with you by the time you get back to your hotel.

I have found that one of the best times to get on Gay Romeo is between 1:00am and 2:00am, Thailand time. Many of the boys head for the nearest Internet shop when the bars close if they haven't been taken off.

Use common sense. Just like the bars, make damned sure to check his ID card before taking him to your hotel room.

Guest fountainhall

The boys all cost me 1000 baht and sometimes a little extra for taxi. Contrast this with an average of 2300 baht in the bars

GB is right - some of the boys on Gayromeo are money boys and so Bt. 1,000 must seem a major saving. Yet, the vast majority on that site are not money boys and you can enjoy fun times for little more than taxi money. They may require just a little more work, but will save you lots more in the long run.