Guest RichLB

Social Skills

I was suggesting nothing - as the post makes clear. I was merely bringing attention to a report I had just read, partly because there had been some comment on the thread that this type of "third-hand smoke" disappears by showering and changing clothes a couple of times a day.

I have no complaint about the legitimacy of posting that report, but perhaps it would be more appropriate to post it as a separate topic. The issue of the dangers of smoking is likely to distract from the focus of this thread, don't you think? I'm pretty sure the smoking topic would generate a lively discussion from both smokers (who are likely to be defensive) and non-smokers (who are likely to be pompous). But, I'm hoping to return this thread to Social Skills (or even pet peeves, if we must).

Guest tdperhs

I have exactly the opposite problem. I don't usually encounter people who block the top of the escalator. But I all too frequently have people brush past me when the escalator isn't moving fast enough for them. I know it must be very urgent for them to save the ten or fifteen seconds they save by brushing past people and I don't have much of a problem with that since I try to stand to one side in anticipation of these people. But I have a big problem when they physically push me aside in their eagerness to get to the top a few seconds before everybody else.

Clearly you have never suffered from incontinence, yet. By geriatric standards, you're practically a teenager. It comes with age. You'd be amazed how critical five to ten seconds can mean under such circumstances. Most escalators are wide enough for two average size Westerners to fit comfortably side by side. It would seem a good demonstration of social skills to make it a habit to stand to one side. You would probably do it if it were not a moving staircase.

It would seem a good demonstration of social skills to make it a habit to stand to one side. You would probably do it if it were not a moving staircase.

I did say that I stand to one side, didn't I? Now, being a person who can't anticipate every possible reason people still physically push others on escalators, somehow I have a feeling that not everyone who pushes me is suffering from incontinence.

While we're on the subject os social propriety in crowds, this is one I don't have an answer for. In the US and Great Britain (I think) we customarily queue when waiting to pay for items at a 7/11 or other similar places. But in other countries like Germany and Thailand (I think) the norm is not to queue but to elbow your way to the cashier. I've had some Thais growl at me as I dutifully wait my turn and block their access to the cash register. I, too, have groused when someone "cuts" in front of me. No clue how to properly handle this cultural conflict. Suggestions?

Guest fountainhall

I have no complaint about the legitimacy of posting that report, but perhaps it would be more appropriate to post it as a separate topic. The issue of the dangers of smoking is likely to distract from the focus of this thread, don't you think?

I'm happy either way, but this thread has already had quite a lot of posts on the smoking/non-smoking issue. Whatever, it's up to GB and GT as to what they wish to do, rather than me.

Guest mauRICE

While we're on the subject os social propriety in crowds, this is noe I don't have an answer for. In the US and Great Britain (I think) we customarily queue when waiting to pay for items at a 7/11 or other similar places. Fut in other countries like ermany and Thailand (I think) the norm is not to queue but to elbow your way to the cashier. I've had some Thais growl at me as I dutifully wait my turn and block their access to the cash register. I, too, have groused when someone "cuts" in front of me. No clue how to properly handle this cultural conflict. Suggestions?

I've never personally experienced this. Quite the opposite, in fact: I've had older Thais ask their kids to give way to 'bpii' (me) and I have in return given way to older Thais, people who appear to be in a hurry, like mothers with a bunch of kids before school starts or those with only and item or two. Sometimes there is a bit of confusion as to where the queue starts, especially when it snakes sideways in a usually crammed 7-11, but this is always cleared up with a polite enquiry and a couple of "khaw toed". So I don't know if the above poster's experiences are yet another example of a Pattaya aberration where Thai/Asian politeness norms don't seem to apply or if these experiences are unique to farang.

As a sidebar, the notorious queue jumpers in Asia are the Chinese, particularly from the mainland and Hong Kong, and to a lesser extent their diaspora in Singapore, Malaysia and The Philippines.

I've had some Thais growl at me as I dutifully wait my turn and block their access to the cash register. I, too, have groused when someone "cuts" in front of me. No clue how to properly handle this cultural conflict. Suggestions?

Yep, been there and done that too many times. It pisses me off when they cut in front of me but I try not to show it. If on a given occasion I don't want it to happen (e.g., when I'm in a hurry), I just politely make sure that there is no room for somebody to do it. We falang, I think, tend to provide more space than asian cultures and I've found they won't jump in front of me if I stand reasonably close to the person in front of me.

it's up to GB and GT as to what they wish to do, rather than me.

I think we can dispense with the smoking issue. I can't imagine what someone could post about it that hasn't already been said and isn't already common knowledge. I think smokers have all figured out that non-smokers don't want any part of their smoke and that they think a smoker's clothing stinks.