Gaybutton

Black Cat Cafe-Sauna Reopened

This evening I was walking around Jomtien Complex with a friend. When we passed Monty's we saw several people eating there. I said I didn't know Monty's started serving food again. One boy overheard and said the food comes from the Black Cat, just across the street.

Huh? What? The Black Cat had closed after having been open for only a few weeks. Now it's open again. I had no idea they had reopened.

My friend told me they actually reopened about two weeks ago.

They're open from 1:00pm to midnight. Farang pay 120 baht to use the sauna. Thai boys get in free. We were on our way elsewhere when we passed by, so I'm sorry, but I didn't look at their menu.

I'll try to get down there within the next several days. Meanwhile, if any of you have been there, please tell us about it.

Hi GB

Is Black Cat a sauna for hooking up like Sansuk or babylon

I haven't been in there yet, but given that it's in the middle of the gay bars of Jomtien Complex and given that Thai boys get in free, I would guess it's much more likely to be similar to Sansuk and Babylon. We'll know for sure soon enough.

Today I paid a visit. I think, rather than write my opinion, I'll stick simply to the facts of what I saw and let you form your own opinions. First, the sign outside does say, "Thai boys free." I asked if there are any age restrictions. I was told that as long as it's a Thai male, age 18 or over, he gets in free no matter how old he is.

The food is all Thai food, mostly in the 60 to 150 baht range. There are various massages available. A standard or oil massage costs 300 baht plus tip for the boy. More expensive massages, such as foam massages or Jacuzzi massages are between 600 to 700 baht.

The massage rooms are located upstairs. You have to climb several flights of steep stairs to get to the massage rooms or any of the facilities other than the ground floor bar and restaurant area.. I noticed the steps are all tiled with smooth tile and only some of the flights have handrails.

The saunas are small cubicles in the massage rooms. These are not large, public saunas such as you would find at Sansuk or Babylon. These are small, private cubicles big enough for you and one or two boys. There were two such cubicles. There are also two Jacuzzis, also located on the upper floors. These are both 2 to 3 man bathtub-type Jacuzzis. Both were empty and apparently are filled with use of a standard shower head and on-demand water heater. There is an additional charge if you wish to use the Jacuzzis.

There is 1 dry heat sauna. It appeared to be big enough for 4 or 5 people.

The venue was spotlessly clean and the Thai manager was enthusiastic about showing me around. While I was there, from about 4:00pm to 4:45pm there were no customers and no boys other than the boys who work there.

Guest richsilver

First, the sign outside does say, "Thai boys free."

Actually the sign outside says "Thai boy's free". Yet another grammatically challenged farang!

Actually the sign outside says "Thai boy's free". Yet another grammatically challenged farang!

I didn't notice the apostrophe. Another addition to my "I Don't Get It" list is the fact that so many Thai businesses print signs, menus, posters, etc, but rarely check spelling and grammar with a native English speaker. There are certainly plenty around. Why is that?

HI GB

Thanks for taking the time out to Visit Black Cat

Disappointed to hear that it is not a "real" sauna/bathhouse!

To be honest I don't really understand what their business model is... Seems like they are a massage house... with sauna facilites..

If thats the case I don't understand what the Thai boys will do that enter for free?!

I remember a post from a while back that Ganymede were also opening a sauna soon in The Complex.... did anyone hear any updates about that?

Seems like they are a massage house... with sauna facilites..

If that's the case I don't understand what the Thai boys will do that enter for free?!

That is the way I see it too.

As for the Thai boys entering free, I don't see much of a reason for that either. Maybe they mean if you bring a Thai boy with you, he gets in free, although I really don't know what they would expect you to do there with a Thai boy other than using the place as a short time room or something. Unless I truly missed something, I don't foresee Thai boys going there on their own.

..I don't foresee Thai boys going there on their own.

Yes, the concept is flawed. A gay sauna has come to mean a place where gays meet for non-commercial activities. It only works on a certain minimum scale. The place needs to be big (and very well publicized) like Babylon, or at least Sansuk, or it doesn't work at all.

So, maybe it's really a matter of signage. Maybe they mean "we have massage which can include a hot tub and dry sauna session". Or "we have hosts who will join you in the hot tub and sauna".

I hope Black Kat gets it worked out, and I hope that Ganymede follows suit.

So, maybe it's really a matter of signage. Maybe they mean "we have massage which can include a hot tub and dry sauna session". Or "we have hosts who will join you in the hot tub and sauna".

Even if that's exactly what they mean, the idea of having to climb steep flights of stairs just to get to the sauna and massage areas is not very appealing to me, especially since that kind of tile is slippery and some of the flights don't even have handrails. Somehow, the idea of slipping on that tile and ending up with broken bones doesn't add to the enjoyment of the experience there.

I'm not saying it's bad or that others wouldn't enjoy it, but I am saying that based on what I saw, it's not my cup of tea. Again, I think if people happen to be in the area, they ought to have a look for themselves and make their own decisions.