Gaybutton

Beach Road - Still Not The Best Choice for a Late Night Stroll

The beach area along Pattaya's Beach Road has long been notorious as the wrong place to be late at night. Recently, the Pattaya Police have publicized that they are working hard to clean up the rampant crime that goes on there. Apparently, there is still a little work to do.

The following appears in the PATTAYA CITY NEWS:

_____

Late Night Pattaya Beach Crime Continues Despite Regular Police Patrols

Two cases of violence now against foreigners from Pattaya Beach on the same night which demonstrates that efforts to improve the security for tourists on Pattaya Beach must be reviewed.

The first case involves Mr. Abraham Amsee aged 70 from Israel. He sustained serious facial injuries after a late night attack by three Thai men who robbed him of his possessions which included 2,500 Euro

They love to show their gold and jewelery off so they are partly responsible for the attack in a third world country. Thanks for the insurance companies.... Just my opinion.

I have never had any problems along beach road. However, I am normally in my home by 11 PM. Is late night after dark? or is it considered after 1AM? :)

Most of these incidents seem to occur between 1:00 AM to 4:00 AM, although the article doesn't say what time these two latest incidents occurred. But the gold chain snatchings seem to occur at just about anytime, including broad daylight.

I have never had any problems along beach road. However, I am normally in my home by 11 PM. Is late night after dark? or is it considered after 1AM? :)

There seems to be a contributory element on the part of the victim in a lot of these incidents. Like GT, I'm usually home by midnight when in Thailand (or anywhere, for that matter). If planning to come back later than that, which is rare, I will have my transport arranged beforehand by someone I know and trust.

I dress modestly but presentably, do not brag about my assets (organic or otherwise), do not take large groups of boys to a karaoke joint where I would have no control over the situation, and am never ever drunk. In the eight years I've been visiting Thailand, I've never felt my life or property to be in danger.

The Thai boys and girls you find in places like Patpong, Patong and Pattaya may not be well-educated but they are extremely canny. They are playing on their home turf and you won't be the first farang they've met and certainly won't be the last. They are able to sniff you out and peg you within the first ten minutes of meeting you:

big ego and easily flattered;

big ego, easily flattered and fat wallet (lovely);

gay but guilt-ridden, timid, has issues about prostitution and paying for sex, Catholic, comforts himself by rationalising that he is engaging in acts of charity when hiring hookers, generous, Mother Theresa in drag (the BEST!);

arrogant, a little aloof, cautious, has read all those books that romanticise and criticise Thai culture, but easily overwhelmed by wais and smiles (needs time to to work over but the end result could be lucrative);

youngish, not bad looking, thumbs his nose at the old fat farang, thinks HE is special (good for a scam or two, sponsoring pub crawls and outings but probably nothing long term);

speaks Thai, friendly but knows when to hold back, shows an understanding of Thai culture and history and has never had a Thai bf despite being a long timer (smart and to be avoided like the plague). I could go on...

If you see Pattaya for what it is, ie, a big brothel by the sea, where honesty and scruples are about as rare as a goodlooking punter, and therefore act accordingly, your chances of falling victim to street predators would be greatly minimised.

I dress modestly but presentably, do not brag about my assets (organic or otherwise),

Maurice, I enjoyed the entire post. I also have never been drunk in Thailand or anywhere for that matter. I have seen many farangs totally drunk and wandering the streets at night. I do often wonder how they make it home safely.

As for your assets (organic or otherwise) can you elaborate? :)