Gaybutton

The Story of Your Screen Name

Guest voldemar

What's the story behind Voldemar?

Since the name created some "unhealthy animation" among some unimaginative members of this message board, I will respond. Voldemar (or I guess Woldemar, since it has never been spelled in latin alphabet in this context) was the nickname of a young brother (whom I secretly admired) of my best friend in the high school. Sometimes one uses something which is always on one's mind.

Pure naiveté. 'Smiles' came from "Land of ...", so long ago I can hardly remember ... back on the original Dreaded Ned line-item message board. It was 'Smiles' then, and it's 'Smiles' now.

Turns out Thai 'smiles' come in all kinds, with multi meanings (not all 'happy' by any means) but I didn't know that back then. Also turns out the 'smiles' in Thailand seem fewer and further apart during these sad and fractious days lately: but I'll stick with 'Smiles' nonetheless ... in some hope.

And that gun to the head avatar stays as well, in spite of the many suggestions to pull that trigger.

Guest TomUK

Voldemar (or I guess Woldemar, since it has never been spelled in latin alphabet in this context)

Could it have been "Waldemar"? At least that is a German Christian name I am familiar with.

In my case it is quite simple. I live in the UK and Tom is just a short form of my first name Thomas. Funnily until recently nobody ever called me Tom.

TomUK

Guest Astrrro

Astro is the dog on the Jetsons and seemed like a better name than KY.

The extra rrrrs come from forgotten passwords and being easier to reregister than searching for the password.

Guest pingalicker

"Pinga" is the spanish slang word for penis, as dick is slang in english. When I returned from my first trip to Thailand I rushed to sign up to this board, and tried to come up with something, as my first name is Tom, very common and used everywhere. I speak some spanish, so came up with "Pingalicker". One of my co-workers is from Panama, and of course she speaks spanish. I work the graveyard shift, and am accustomed to working by myself, and no need to close the bathroom door. One day she came in early, went to her office upstairs. I went into the men's room, taking a leak at the urinal, she unexpectedly walked by in the hallway and I just blurted out in spanish "Don't look at my dick". Man, did she get pissed, telling me she wasn't looking at my dick. I tried to explain to her I was just joking. Just one of those things that one blurts out before thinking.

Maybe I am alone in thinking this but as I was christened with two names I've always had a fascination with the second one - what's it for? Seems pretty redundant almost all the time apart from when you have to fill in some snotty bureaucratic form, apply for a passport or dog licence or whatever. I decided to drag it out of the shadows, give it a bit of a twist, and use it as my board name. Thus Rogie was spawned from Roger. My avatar will be obvious to those of you of a certain age - none other than Roger the Dodger from the British comic The Beano. I suppose back in the sixties as a swotty four-eyed schoolboy with zero charisma he represented some kind of alter ego. . .

Guest xiandarkthorne

He he...I thought you were a sci-fi fan and it was from "Uncle Rogie" (the many Coloured Land series by Julian May).

Guest fountainhall

I was christened with two names

You're lucky. Like many in the UK, I was christened with 3. Try getting these into the small number of boxes allocated on Immigration forms which ask you to insert "middle name", not "middle names". Or on to websites to book an airline ticket or hotel with a similar instruction. I suppose it's because America rules the world and most Americans have just 2. It's not going to get any easier when it's the Chinese ruling the world, coz they also only have 2 (sometimes only 1).

My avatar will be obvious to those of you of a certain age - none other than Roger the Dodger from the British comic The Beano

Ah! those good old days with the Beano, the Dandy - and that other one with Dan Dare and his nemesis, the Mekon.

Guest beachlover

I like beaches (who doesn't?)... "Beachlover" was the handle I used when I first registered for Sawatdee-gay-thailand.com so I thought I should keep using it.

To be honest, when Fountainhall said it was television and compact disk player, I totally believed him. It wasn't for a few posts later that I had to go back and think of this. I then hit my head and said, duh.

Guest GaySacGuy

To be honest, when Fountainhall said it was television and compact disk player, I totally believed him. It wasn't for a few posts later that I had to go back and think of this. I then hit my head and said, duh.

That's OK GT...you have a lot of things on your mind...more luggage, boys, breakfast, boys, party, boys...you get the idea!!

Guest beachlover
I had to go back and think of this. I then hit my head and said, duh.

I do this sometimes after someone's flirted with me... Completely oblivious to it at the time, but hours, days or months later and I realise he/she was flirting, hit my head and go, "damn!".