Guest HeyGay

Nasty bit of work?

There are some nasty Guys who come to Thailand to abuse every one, from the boys, to the farangs and the Country.

I was out with some sex tourist friends the other night in Bangkok, who are not short of money and 2 of them then did nothing but complain about Thailand, every where I go people are complaining, The people are this or that, the food is to Hot or cooked in the dirty street, the humidity is to over whelming, the Bar prices are sky high, when you get a boy all they want to do is charge to 2000 baht then go home as soon as possible, the boys are all nasty liars or a bunch or thieves, they don

I was reading a newspaper in Starbucks on Sunday when I heard an overloud very Scottish-voice complaining to the young lady taking his order. As with Starbucks the world over, she had to ask some questions. He wanted a large cappuccino. "Is that large size?" he asked. "That's crazy. It's much smaller than in Europe". After the next question, he shouted "Why are you asking me so many bloody questions?" He then complained that some of the tables outside had 'no smoking' signs on them.

I was hugely embarrassed, not only for the young lady, but for the cute Thai guy he dragged along behind him. What anyone would see in that loud-mouthed lout, beats me. Unless it was a plentiful wad of cash, I suppose.

I was out with some sex tourist friends the other night in Bangkok, who are not short of money and 2 of them then did nothing but complain about Thailand, every where I go people are complaining,

You are too good to hang out with people like that. :)

I can't stand it when people complain about everything. I have always said, if you are in Thailand and gay and you are complaining, you must be a miserable SOB as there is too much fun and joy to be found here!

Some of you big city Bangkok folds make fun of Chiang Mai, but we still get very little of that type of farang, at least in the gay community. What we do get is a lot of laid back backpackers who love Thailand and are friendly to everyone. One place gays can go for a good time that is not on any gay web site, is full of backbackers and it is not uncommon for them to join me, my BF and his very gay friends at our table just to hang out and talk. The other night a guy and his wife started talking to us and some good music came on. He asked his wife to dance and when she wouldn't he grabbed one of my BF's very fem friends and danced with him. Neither he nor the crowd cared and things like that often happen there.

Guest beachlover

Those nasty types are miserable and nothing would ever make them happy.

I often wonder why they spend their time complaining when you can have

fun 24/7. Really makes no sense to me at all!

Unfortunately, that's what people do when they have nothing productive or fulfilling to do and lack a certain degree of emotional intelligence and self awareness.

One farang told me the expats who work or operate a business in Bangkok avoid the expats who are retired with nothing to do like fleas because all they do is bitch and moan. I'm sure this doesn't apply to all retired expats though.

Hey Gay Wrote the following:

I have been coming since 1976 and in those days unless if you noticed 12 gay guys mainly business men or Diplomats, you were lucky and had to make your own fun, yes there was a few gay Bars and places to meet Boys, but it was all very basic, then when you went to Pattaya in the 80s more bars sprung up and one Gay Hotel, in North Pattaya the BEST HOTEL now called Caf

It's not just gay guys complaining, I have heard so many straights bitch and moan about something or other and they always say the same thing "I get better service at home" (then bloody well stay at home. There is always fun to be had whether it's sex or otherwise but I always try to tell people to respect the country and the people even if they are having a bad time or it could get much worse for them.

Guest beachlover

You might be retired (I assume) but you sound more intelligent and self aware than most retired expats in BKK (don't mean to patronise).

I'm sure this doesn't apply to all retired expats there and perhaps it was more his own attitude than that of all working expats. But it does make sense considering some of the expats you see and see posting on these boards and the fact that people engaged in something challenging will have less in common with people who bum about and contribute nothing to the people and community around them.

Hey Gay Wrote the following:

I have been coming since 1976 and in those days unless if you noticed 12 gay guys mainly business men or Diplomats, you were lucky and had to make your own fun, yes there was a few gay Bars and places to meet Boys, but it was all very basic, then when you went to Pattaya in the 80s more bars sprung up and one Gay Hotel, in North Pattaya the BEST HOTEL now called Caf

Guest beachlover

Sorry I have no idea what you mean by confirming exactly what In have already written, am I missing something here?

I think he means he's trying to correct the information you posted.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to all retired expats there and perhaps it was more his own attitude than that of all working expats.

I think the expats that retire to Bangkok and those that retire to Pattaya are totally different types of guys with totally different expectations in their retirement. People don't retire to Pattaya for the beaches and if they say they do, they are not being honest with themselves. I love Pattaya but I love the bar scene. If I loved beaches, I'll retire to Phuket. If I loved culture, it would be Bangkok. If Chiang Mai was a bit bigger, it would be there but it is a bit too small for me. I need an XXXL gay scene to fit my tastes.

Guest beachlover

I think the expats that retire to Bangkok and those that retire to Pattaya are totally different types of guys with totally different expectations in their retirement. People don't retire to Pattaya for the beaches and if they say they do, they are not being honest with themselves. I love Pattaya but I love the bar scene. If I loved beaches, I'll retire to Phuket. If I loved culture, it would be Bangkok. If Chiang Mai was a bit bigger, it would be there but it is a bit too small for me. I need an XXXL gay scene to fit my tastes.

Very true and honest.

What do you think is the difference between BKK and PTY retirees, in terms of expectations though?

From what people have told me, they retire to Chiang Mai because they dislike the sleaze of Pattaya and BKK is too big and busy for them.

Personally, only place I could live is BKK.

Sorry I have no idea what you mean by confirming exactly what In have already written, am I missing something here?

I think most guys know where the Cafe Royal is located and the hi-lux has been mentioned many times, so I did not bother to mention the name again.

Jason was correcting your reference to "The Best Hotel", by pointing out that it was actually called "The Best House", and also pointing out that where you referred to it being in North Pattaya it was actually in South Pattaya.

With "inconsistencies" like that some posters here would say that your whole personality is an invention, and that you have never been to Pattaya, North or South!!

With "inconsistencies" like that some posters here would say that your whole personality is an invention, and that you have never been to Pattaya, North or South!!

No we would not, as LMTU is infamous from Pattaya to Chiang Mai and known by sight to many of us, and I might add a really nice guy.

it does make sense considering some of the expats you see and see posting on these boards and the fact that people engaged in something challenging will have less in common with people who bum about and contribute nothing to the people and community around them.

You make your statement on the basis of two flawed assumptions. First, if my experience of several years is anything to go by, few retired gay people in Bangkok actually read "these Boards", let alone contribute to them. Secondly, a lot of expats are involved in community projects like helping charities. One I know organises groups to visit parts of the city and its surroundings to learn more about Thailand and Thai culture. Don't pre-judge a large group of people by those you might see in the bars or in other Silom joints.

You make your statement on the basis of two flawed assumptions. First, if my experience of several years is anything to go by, few retired gay people in Bangkok actually read "these Boards", let alone contribute to them.

I agree with you on this statement. Why is this? Why are the boards heavily Pattaya centered?

PeterRS, on 22 December 2010 - 10:26 AM, said:

" ... if my experience of several years is anything to go by, few retired gay people in Bangkok actually read "these Boards", let alone contribute to them.

Gay Thailand said:

I agree with you on this statement. Why is this?

Just a guess (perhaps even a semi-educated one?), but I think the dynamic with long term expats in Thailand goes something like this:

• Gay dude discovers Thailand while still working (probably applies to straights as well)
  • Starts coming to Thailand regularly and around the same time discovers gay message boards
  • Loves all his trips, discovers 'Butterflyism', OR, finds a longer-term Thai guy
  • Has a visceral need to talk with other gay guys 'about everthing Thai' ... the best vehicle being the message board. Addicted to reading everything, often posting replies on most threads, asking questions of Long-Termers
  • Decides to retire to Thailand full time. Needs even more information ... i.e. becomes a 'Regular' on multiple message boards, now providing info as well as asking for it.
  • Retires to Thailand ... then starts a delicious learning curve of his own. Discovers things on his own, treads the mean streets more confidently, starts speaking more and more Thai, breaks the bonds of culture shock one by one, on his own. Spends lots of time nuturing a new found relationship. Still reads and enjoys message boards, but begins posting less and less as the info on the boards becomes 'bin der, dun dat'.
  • Visits boards much less frequently, posting only once in awhile. Losing interest, but still going back to boards from habit. Slowly breaks the addiction.

Jason was correcting your reference to "The Best Hotel", by pointing out that it was actually called "The Best House", and also pointing out that where you referred to it being in North Pattaya it was actually in South Pattaya. With "inconsistencies" like that some posters here would say that your whole personality is an invention, and that you have never been to Pattaya, North or South!!
If you read below what I did say was, thats why I could not understand why he corrected it. LMTU said :- and one Gay Hotel, in North Pattaya the BEST HOTEL now called Café Royal was a dirty hole As your see I did say Hi-Lux was in North Pattaya and I was also saying even though it was called Best , it was really in fact the worst Hotel to stay in. I hope that clears that up.

Guest beachlover

You make your statement on the basis of two flawed assumptions. First, if my experience of several years is anything to go by, few retired gay people in Bangkok actually read "these Boards", let alone contribute to them. Secondly, a lot of expats are involved in community projects like helping charities. One I know organises groups to visit parts of the city and its surroundings to learn more about Thailand and Thai culture. Don't pre-judge a large group of people by those you might see in the bars or in other Silom joints.

Fair enough. You may well be right. I heard this from a farang expat in BKK so perhaps it is more his perception/attitude to them (retired expats that is).

No we would not, as LMTU is infamous from Pattaya to Chiang Mai and known by sight to many of us, and I might add a really nice guy.

But can you be sure that this is actually him posting, as I can remember reading that his posting personality and his real personality can be quite different. I guess that you are thinking that this LMTU is now posting as Haygay.

Yes I can also confirm LMTU is a wonderful guy and known by many hundreds of people all over the country, if not in person, by site, he is not hiding from any one and very approachable, unlike the very few Impersonators around, who are only wanting to break his could not care less attitude, because in reality he has a heart of Gold:rolleyes: