Guest lonelywombat

Original twilight bar bangkok

Guest lonelywombat

One point has always mystified me. Almost everyone I speak to with experience of the original Twilight bar has not just fond memories of the place. They seemed to love it, despite its obvious seediness. I think I discovered it around 1984 when I moved on from the old Apollo bar (of which I retain equally fond memories). Thereafter, on my many visits to Bangkok, Twilight was always on my calendar.

When it changed to Hotmale, it lost most of its charm and a lot of its clientele. I realise that weekday customers gradually became far fewer than on week-ends, when many extra chairs had always to be added. Do you think it changed just because of the more upmarket competition from the newer bars that had spring up on that soi? Did the market for that type of sleazier, less slick bar just start to fade away? Were the boys less prepared to dance naked when they saw this did not happen in the other bars? Or was the tea money to the powers that be raised to too high a level with the growing emphasis on morality that seemed to creep into the national government's thinking as the prosperity of the 90s took hold?

I can't help feeling that if it was to revert to its old format, the place would be packed!

I have cut and pasted this from another thread as it was the only post on Twilight bar.

Twilight was one of the first three bars I found in 1990 and I don't think it ever recovered from the renovations it made 10+ years ago. An english teacher friend always blamed the move to a catwalk stage as the reason for its downfall, as previously the boys performed behind the bar on a small stage 4 boys at a time. From around 10PM to midnight they performed naked or some shy boys removed their jocks but modestly kept their goodies from view. He felt the boys felt remote and secure with the bar between the punters and the stage.

My teacher friends comments dont stand up as on friday and saturday nights, the boys after performing on the stage came out into the middle of the audience and stood on a low step surrounding a large square shaped pillar. Four boys one on each side and the audience were able to fondle the goods. I never saw any tips being offered.

Whilst on stage tips were offered over the bar often.

When everyone was facing one way he claimed you could have a play around in private. When the catwalk was introduced with punters sitting in stepped rows on both sides of the room , every body opposite could see what you[he] was doing.

I got to know several boys over the years and the number of times a night they danced naked varied with the number of offs. The pressure punters got early evening to off or to just sit with and buy them a drink, meant they did not have to dance naked.

The other thread mentioned Thais. On fri/sat nights when the boys stood in the audience the majority were Thai customers. The area closest to the stage was packed with wooden stools and the Thais arrived early and left at midnight. I doubt if they had more than one glass all night.

Not all the boys were shy or upset by the nudity. I used to sit by the entrance to behind the bar and to the stage area. Id buy a few drinks for my favourites and often had a boy come up behind me and place an erection in my hand. I bought a lot of drinks.

Behind the bar the 4 boys next on stage removed their jocks in full view and in many cases worked up a woody. I cannot recall any sex shows in the old bar but they did have them in the new bar prior to the opening of places like Future Boys. I thought the change to a catwalk that required shows rather than just naked boys was the catalyst for the decline. Of course BIB might be the big factor if the rumours about who owns certain sex bars are correct.

As a comparison to the old Crazy Bar I thought Twilight was the least sleazy by a big margin. They never had the masturbation races and money in check bins to the first to cum.

Drinks were expensive in those days and new faces had to buy a ticket for two drinks to enter.

The fuck shows are boring as are the tattoed, thuggish looking , no longer young performers.

I too yearn for the return of similar to the old Twilight. The groping area in the middle of the audience was always hated by the boys and would not be tolerated now.

Maybe a new twilight can still happen.

Guest fountainhall
I cannot recall any sex shows in the old bar

These recollections are almost exactly the same as mine! I also used to grab a stool at the left end of the bar where the boys prepared for going on stage. Only one slight error. Sex shows were a common occurrence, although not every night for some reason. Three or four boys would start on the stage. Eventually two involved in 'coupling' would then clamber over on to the bar and slowly walk along to the end and back. The Thais loved it.

I know some in the audience liked to fondle the boys as they stood at the pillars after their stint on stage, and I agree that would not be tolerated nowadays. Your friend is also correct about the 'playing around'. On two sides of the establishment, there were red velour covered benches. During the dancing, the audience area was pretty dark, and so some customers would invite a boy to join them there.

I never went to Crazy Bar. But there was the old Super Lek near where Super A is presently located (round the corner from Solid). It was slightly classier in the late 1980s, but not by much. Like Twilight, it also spent a lot of money to tart itself up. Unlike Twilight, it closed its doors some years ago.

Another of the originals was My Way off Rama 4. It's still there, although I haven't been inside for at least 15 years. It used to be a bar where the boys were always fun to be with. I'm told it's a complete shadow of its old self now.

Lonelywombat's description of Twilight was spot on. Like him, I remember the place with great fondness, as Fountainhall and, I am sure, many others do too.

The interesting question is why do we hold it with such fondness? I'm unable to answer it, even for myself.

Was it simply because of the novelty factor in its time, now augmented through rosy memory? If an identical bar opened today, would we shrug "been there, done that" and not give it a second look?

Was it because we were younger, with more libido and less jaded? Was it because the crowd-feel was different from today's crowds?

Something tells me that what I miss most is the intimacy where the boys come up to you uninvited and lets you have a feel -- no obligation to buy him a drink -- or where the boy dances near the pillar barely an arm's length away from one's stool.

I do think that the days of the "spectacle"-type shows are nearing an end, i.e. the idea of a big central stage, with customers sitting quietly a distance away. It's too detached. The Wow factor made up for it, but it's wearing off fast. That said, two years after they end, others will reminisce achingly about the glory days of the shows :p and diss whatever will have replaced them.

----

I ask myself, if I were to launch a new bar, how would I do it, bearing in mind the economic trends?

Etrend 1: Boys expect to earn more as cost of living rises.

Etrend 2: Good-looking, good attitude boys may be scarcer, so trying to stock a bar with 100 boys (like Dream Boy today) would be unrealistic. Perhaps 30 - 40 boys would be max.

Etrend 3: The "arms-race" of doing ever more elaborate shows that need to be re-engineered frequently to keep them fresh costs an arm and a leg.

Etrend 4: Audience numbers will be flat until the great wave from China materialises. . .

Etrend 5: Even then, the Chinese may never be all that keen to off (reasons explained in the other thread Holiday Sunday Numbers Seem Down), but will likely be prepared to pay a small premium for small shows and nude dancing, something they don't get in their home country.

---

How will I address these issues? Perhaps I would hypothetically build a bar with a layout like this:

twilight_redux_2.gif

The operational model will be rather different from current, in response to each of the 5 economic trends mentioned above.

But first, I'll walk you (as customer) through the bar:

1. No women, no Thais under 20 years old, allowed.

2. No smoking inside the bar.

3. You enter and receive a number tag from the cashier (like in a sauna). All purchases made inside the bar will be charged to that number; you settle the account on departure. Perhaps a cover charge (200 baht?) can be paid on entry if the competitive environment allows it. That prepaid cover charge can be consummable, i.e. it is set off as a credit against purchases of drinks.

4. In the main salon, you will see several boys dancing in their briefs on the stage behind the bar. You are free to just sit at the bar, but you are obliged to order your first drink.

5. You may call a boy over, buy him a drink (or not) and sit with him in the sofas, and if the brief conversation works out, you off him.

6. Every hour on the hour, the captain announces "Showtime now. Anybody interested?"

7. Let's say 13 customers are interested. There are two more who are here to off a boy and aren't interested in the show; they continue to sit in the main salon, where boys continue to do their rotations on the stage -- in other words the show should not inconvenience these customers.

8. The captain opens two private rooms and splits the 13 customers into two groups, putting six in one room, seven in the other. The charge for the show is 200 or 250 baht per customer, which includes a second drink.

9. The show thus takes place in a more intimate setting -- a room no larger than a small bedroom -- where the boys dance a mere arm's length from the seated customers.

10. The boys either dance nude or dance in a manner that strips to nude. The etiquette is NO TOUCHING unless the boys invite you to lay your hands on them briefly. Naturally, the boys are encouraged as part of their routine to invite the customers by turn to do so from time to time, in order to up the thrill quotient.

12. The show is mostly done on a small, low podium/stage that is 2 metres by 2 metres (the size of a king-sized bed, enough space to allow for acts of sodomy if that's what the show requires).

13. In each room, the show involves about 6 boys (or maybe 8 boys if the cost structure allows it). In the first half, each boy does a 5-minute dance solo, either (i) coyote-style, (ii) Manila macho-dancer bar style, or (iii) Chiangmai style. In the second half, the 6 (or 8) boys are paired or trio'ed for their routines.

14. From the customer's perspective, he is in a really intimate setting with boys hardly more than a metre away, making frequent eye contact and with seductive smiles. He is also invited by the dancing boys to touch and caress them now and then. The show has a degree of personal attention that a bigger showspace cannot provide. Although the customer had been asked to stump up an extra 200 or 250 baht for the show (on top of the first drink), he is getting value for it.

15. The economics is that the six or seven customers in a private room will have put up 1500 or 1750 baht for the show. Involving 6 (or 8) boys, the labour cost for each room's show will be 600 (or 800) baht with each boy getting 100 baht for an hour's work (serious dancing, not shuffling)

16. The duration of the show is about 45 - 50 minutes, comprising 9 - 11 acts. At the end, the rooms have to be vacated for cleaning in preparation for the next round of shows. If a customer wants to see a subsequent show, it's another 200 or 250 baht, though for most people, 45 - 50 minutes will have been enough!

The economics of such a bar has the following characteristics:

The typical customer will be buying two drinks: the first drink on entry and the second drink either because he wants to sit with a boy prior to an off, or because he wants to see a show. Two drinks per customer is a significant improvement on the present one-drink average in most bars. The important thing though is that the customer must feel he gets value from paying for a second drink, and that is where an intimate, hands-on show comes in.

Staffing characteristics:

The bar doesn't need a lot of boys. Assuming on average at each hour, only two rooms are opened for shows, the bar needs only 12 boys (6 boys per room), plus another 10 - 12 doing the rotation in the main salon. If there's a surge of customers and all four private rooms need to be used, the same 12 dancing boys can cover all four rooms by having each dancing team of six boys to stagger their routines between two adjacent rooms. Double the work, yes, but double the earnings.

Competitive advantage:

Because there's a show every hour on the hour, customers can come any time that is convenient for them. The bar is able to attract customers at those hours where other bars aren't doing shows. Bars with "blockbuster" type shows can't afford to put up more than one-and-a-half of them per night, so they can't have a show going on through the entire evening. This little bar can.

---

The business model responds to the economic trends thus:

Response to Etrend 1: Currently, gogo boys are mostly wasting time, doing little and earning nothing unless/until they get an off which is "jackpot money". In the new business model, the boys are working for pay for many of the seven or eight hours they are in the bar. For each set of dancing in a private room (each boy does an average of two 5-minute items per 45-minute set) a boy earns 100 baht. Assuming a typical boy gets to do three sets a night, he earns 300 baht. Multipled by 25 days a month, he has base earnings of 7500 baht before tips.

Response to Etrend 2: As boys become scarcer, the bar runs on fewer boys, but these boys work harder to deliver satisfying shows. Running on fewer boys also means the bar owner can get a little picky about which boys to hire, thereby keeping the "good looks" factor, boosting the rate of offs.

Response to Etrend 3: No more elaborate staging for shows and the costs associated with that.

Response to Etrend 4: In an era of flat tourist numbers, such a bar will rarely look empty. That's because it is divided into small spaces, and you only open such spaces as are needed (also save on airconditioning). A small salon or private dance room with 6 customers in it looks a lot better than a bar that can seat 100, but has only six people; the atmosphere is more encouraging.

Response to Etrend 5: The bar and its boys draw revenue not by relying on high rate of offs -- in a new era of Chinese tourists this may not be realistic -- but by getting customers to pay for a second drink in order to get a satisfying show. Of course, any offs that the bar/boys get will be good too.

Operational imperatives for success:

A bar that requires boys to actually work through a seven-hour shift (rather than sit about or shuffle about as at present) requires boys with a good work ethic. This especially as every boy must be able to perform on stage, equipped with a handful of routines, executed reasonably well (i.e. with artistry, with good eye contact and seductive appeal to customers). This means training, training, training.

I also think it is imperative to address the problem of service quality after being off'd, but that's a separate issue I have written about before.

Guest lonelywombat

Just adding to my post and replying on the subject of sex shows in Twilight.

At midnight there was a ladyboy show which I did not hang around for, anyway nudity finished at 12. If I did not go to DJ station I went across Surawongese to the 11.30 show upstairs. Another great favourite of mine. Name slpped my mind but have been out, probably remember in the morning.

Super Lex became a favourite after I picked up a go go boy at Mc Donalds one night. He used to rotate in the shower show about every second night. He told me where to sit just near the shower where I could see the boys get naked and worked up their woodie. Quite often I had my own preshower show from 2 boys.

Ah those days.

If I did not go to DJ station I went across Surawongese to the 11.30 show upstairs. Another great favourite of mine. Name slpped my mind but have been out, probably remember in the morning.

Barbeiry?

Super Lex became a favourite

I liked Superlex too. Not-pushy waiters, nice, preppy-looking boys. But the distance from table to stage tended to be a bit far, unless one was lucky enough to get one of the three front tables.

Guest fountainhall

The interesting question is why do we hold it with such fondness?

This will sound rather 'twee', but I think there was a sort of innocence about the goings on in the bar which indicated that all was perfectly natural. Not much hustle to buy an extra drink or one for a boy, and most people just having a good time. Is that the rosy-tinted spectacle effect? Personally, I don't think so.

I ask myself, if I were to launch a new bar, how would I do it, bearing in mind the economic trends?

You have a fabulous business model. But you may have forgotten one point which should make it even more attractive for all. In such an intimate atmosphere, I think many customers will happily offer to buy drinks for one or more boys. I can easily see someone buying a bottle for use whist the show is in progress with customers and boys taking a regular dram. That then makes the economics even more appealing. If you ever get close to setting something like this up, count me in for a modest investment!

My first ever experience in Bangkok was not so far from this model, although on a much smaller and less organised way. With a 24-hour stopover en route from Europe to Hong Kong, well-meaning friends had told me I had to stay near the Grand Palace. I did no research and had not realised this was miles away from Silom and Suriwong, which is where I really wanted to be. Early in the evening on the way to a bus stop, I was accosted by a pimp. To save time, I accepted his offer and he whisked me through the traffic to the Stockholm Bar in now trendy up-market Lang Suan.

Stockholm was a really run down old Thai style house. It was not a gogo bar; more a host bar of sorts. As you entered a large room, about a dozen guys would be shuffling fully clothed on a stage. You then took one or more upstairs to a private room whereupon the show of your dreams was enacted before you, with you as a willing participant if the spirit so moved you. I remember only too clearly coming out of that first encounter quite stunned and realizing my decision to move to Asia had been by far the best in my life! I don’t think Stockholm lasted much longer. Certainly, Apollo quickly became my bar of choice.

oh, dear! Stockholm (and maybe another bar later in that soi where Golden Cock is still) was a total tip-off, as described by any guiebook then. Tipically a bar where unknowing farang were taken to by tuktukdrivers and touts on commission and offered giant padded bills. or so the story goes (I relied on the TMOT=The men of Thailand books by then).

That bar across Suriwong from Twyly was indeed Barbieery and this was considered THE nr 1 stylish gay bar of that time. Also with giant stocks of about 100 willing boys. They did shows-of which I cannot remember that much. And they mainly had boys more appealing to the Asians (like Hero now has for massage)-by then not really my choice.

Guest fountainhall

Also with giant stocks of about 100 willing boys. They did shows-of which I cannot remember that much. And they mainly had boys more appealing to the Asians (like Hero now has for massage)-by then not really my choice

I suspect Barbeiry must have gone through various phases, because in the mid to late 1980s it definitely had a lot of twinks, some of whom I suspect were underage. Their shows were the first to have 'acrobatic' elements, I seem to recall - and very daring they seemed at the time. As Pong suggests, it was usually packed with Thais and only the occasional farang.

i think I visited Stochkolm only 3 times. I don't recall getting ripped off, but then I was pretty stingy with ordering drinks there, preferring instead to tip the boys in cash.

Guest lonelywombat

I suspect Barbeiry must have gone through various phases, because in the mid to late 1980s it definitely had a lot of twinks, some of whom I suspect were underage. Their shows were the first to have 'acrobatic' elements, I seem to recall - and very daring they seemed at the time. As Pong suggests, it was usually packed with Thais and only the occasional farang.

The bar was indeed Barbiery and I never saw any underage from the time I first started going there mid 90. There were several phases since then I think with change of owners. It never recovered IMHO after the move to the same soi as Golden Cock.The owner created a 3 floor venue with a gym and sauna with the barand show, on the top floor.

When I started to type this each act that made Barbiery so different has been repeated over and over and still is in other clubs. The difference as is with Jupiters today was the presentation. The boys were classy, fresh and well rehearsed.

My lasting memory was the foam baths naked, you could see the tackle and enjoy their naked bodies and simulated coupling. A few months ago I saw similar in XBoys in Boyztown and there was no comparison. In Xboys the couples in their foam show had been parading earlier in the big cock show, rotated with the fuck shows [3 shows per night] and carried or were carried around the punters and were fucked on the laps of any one who would give a tip.

At Barbiery the foam show boys arrived onto the stage and left in darkness.They were naked and usually erect.I know as I used to sit close to that staircase where the boys got undressed before going on stage. I bought a lot of drinks there in my time.

The words shy and modest seem out of place for a nude show, but perhaps not when I call recent foam shows mechanical, brazen with bored performers.

Barbiery had 2 stages in the centre but side by side.The end furtherest from the street was a small gym, and it was certainly interesting watching the eye candy do their routines.

Jupiter which is just around back of where Barbiery was, is the only go go boy sexual show with class, in BKK or Pattaya. I cannot recall any nudity at Jupiters for many years. Damn it.

PS. I cannot recall the acrobatic bits in the quote , but My Way was famed for its gymnastic performers before it went downhill.

My lasting memory was the foam baths naked, you could see the tackle and enjoy their naked bodies and simulated coupling. A few months ago I saw similar in XBoys in Boyztown and there was no comparison. In Xboys the couples in their foam show had been parading earlier in the big cock show, rotated with the fuck shows [3 shows per night] and carried or were carried around the punters and were fucked on the laps of any one who would give a tip.

Exactly. Like newspapers giving away content for free on the internet and now unable to make money on their print editions, the bars have given away so much nudity they debased the value of it.

The problem they face: how to get out of the pit they stumbled into and go back to the tease model.

Guest lonelywombat

Exactly. Like newspapers giving away content for free on the internet and now unable to make money on their print editions, the bars have given away so much nudity they debased the value of it.

The problem they face: how to get out of the pit they stumbled into and go back to the tease model.

There are 2 types of boys in the bars. The brazen who have lost all modesty, are used to showing to a room full of people and letting old men fondle their privates.

And there are also the shy or modest boys who to me are more appealing.

I befriended a X Boys boy over 3 visits earlier this year, his english was not great but he told me he got 100 baht a show/night? when performing in the sex show.

In the fuck show [3 times a night] when he went around the audience still inside his partner, he often shared 500 baht in tips each show.That starts to get big money if it is every night.

What some of us seem to fondly remember was the innocent and naive boys who modestly came on naked or near naked, who did not have that hard edge that a lot of todays boys develop.

I often look at the go go boys in WWB and Copa and ache for an older style show using some of these stunning boys. WWB has a shower that does not get used like it used to.

I think the big cock show would have no place if we look at trying to go back to the tease model.With up to 20 boys in the bigger bars not being offed, I might try and get the boys to come up with their own idea for a show. The conditions to include no obvious masturbation or cum shots, some nudity but not brazen and an erection probably mandatory. Some form of see through gauze or light weight that clings and they would have to dance.

Strange even now one of Jupiters popular standards, includes 3 boys supposedly naked wearing bath towels. After a lot of tease they turn their backs to the audience and flash their bare and very nice bottoms in a well rehearsed routine.This routine goes for about 4 minutes and is quite popular.

Getting back to the tease model????????????????????????

Are we talking about clean sleaze, is modest nudity more a turn on that big cock parades. Do we get turned on by near nudity than totally naked?

Are the fuck shows representative of what the gay community want or is it mainly straight tourists that flock to them?

Last visit I waited for the second show at Copa whilst a friend raced a go go boy to a short time room. The place emptied out after the show and the boys performed half heartedly to just 3 of us finishing our drinks. If the aim of having go go boys is to get off fees, then IMHO I would use the downtime after the second show to introduce the "sexy" gogo boys own show.

In the old BBB days , go go boys would do the shower show and the lights would be turned down for one minute while the boys rose to the occasion. Then trying to preserve their modesty with one hand and soap their partner with the free hand was not easy but that made it more appealing.

Whatever your solution might be, it will come back to how do you want the boys you are interested to act on the stage.

Guest fountainhall

What some of us seem to fondly remember was the innocent and naive boys who modestly came on naked or near naked, who did not have that hard edge that a lot of todays boys develop.

Spot on!

I think the big cock show would have no place if we look at trying to go back to the tease model.

There were big cocks on display, but never artificially tied off. That's one of the big turn offs for me.

Guest lonelywombat

I was surprised to receive PM's through other forums and 2 email, re this thread.

It is interesting that people are prepared to read this forum but not yet register.

They have stated that they no longer are prepared to post and I can understand that.

There seems to be a central theme "what is left to the imagination" in the comments.

I do not have the time today but will precis the replies and post sunday.

Guest phoochaai

Like other posters in this thread I have very warm memories of the good old Twilight Bar in the 1990s. Maybe it was just its unspectacular setting with guys on stage dancing nude but without other frills like lavish shows. I hate shows, I find them either boring or unappealing or disgusting, or all three of them. Whereas a couple of good-looking and completely naked lads, dancing on a stage, is something I could watch for hours. It's the pure, innocent male beauty that appeals to me greatly, not weird shrill shows or lip sync routines or candle wax drippings onto oily bodies.

Guest lonelywombat

I had 5 replies to my last post. One long email from Perth from a guy that frequents the nude beach often. He stated that although there are many handsome and hung young men parading before his eyes, he does not get as excited as he used to. However a young man that went swimming in his underpants which became almost transparent when wet, turned him on.

One of the gay bars where I live ran a Mr ****** competition, where the boys fronted on stage in their underwear and a drag liberally used a water spray to make it more interesting. The most popular boys were those in looser rather than tight jocks, as their tackle became more defined. I still remember the boy that wore satin boxers.

Several PM's mentioned that leaving a little to the imagination is often sexier than total nudity.One complained that most go go boys wear 2 pair of shorts on stage to hide the bulge completely. Obviously they have not been to Nice Boys or Mics bar where the shape is quite obvious and they are keen to flash and more on stage. No wonder of all the bars in Pattaya, those 2 bars are the busiest. Not as organized as the old Twilight but not far behind.

Nice Boys have about 6 boys at a time fully dressed on a rear stage which is a nice contrast to the go go boys.My last visit I saw this stunning guy finish his shift or whatever they do, he casually undressed to a pair of boxers then dropped those to reveal his jocks, for his turn on stage. He had every farang's attention despite several boys on stage playing with full on erections.

Reflecting on my offing habits I rarely take off a boy that flashes on stage. I certainly dont mind looking but prefer to off a boy who is more modest. I know others for whom size is critical and they wont go with anything less than huge.

Each trip I get the sleaze out of the way early and look for more tease. I am a hunter and I like to use my imagination when looking for a boy to off.

Twilight was a comfort zone for me. One of the first bars I went to in BKK and the first one I had ever seen boys naked plus more in. I doubt if I lived in BKK it would be remembered so fondly as it has over the years. In fact I started to frequent Chardonnay in preference to Twilight. I regret that closing as well.

Nice Boys and Mic's while not perfect are as close to what I recall Twilight was. Still not as raunchy but as good as it gets in Pattaya.

Guest anonone

Nice Boys have about 6 boys at a time fully dressed on a rear stage which is a nice contrast to the go go boys.My last visit I saw this stunning guy finish his shift or whatever they do, he casually undressed to a pair of boxers then dropped those to reveal his jocks, for his turn on stage.

I seem to recall the "more dressed" boys at Nice Boys during my last visit. Are these regular go go boys (taken off at same price) or some other category? I was otherwise occupied :blink: or I would have asked then....but would be good to know for when I am back next week. There were a couple of really sexy guys there. If I recall, they seemed to be dancing with more enthusiasm then the other boys, so I thought maybe they were just brought in for dancing/show type of thing?

Guest lonelywombat

I seem to recall the "more dressed" boys at Nice Boys during my last visit. Are these regular go go boys (taken off at same price) or some other category? I was otherwise occupied :blink: or I would have asked then....but would be good to know for when I am back next week. There were a couple of really sexy guys there. If I recall, they seemed to be dancing with more enthusiasm then the other boys, so I thought maybe they were just brought in for dancing/show type of thing?

The boy I was referring to also did go go. He told me he was doorman but he was there in his briefs. Earlier this year one of those bars had a promotion with the "coyote"boys from NAB dancing. I am sure that was a one off thing, but I am also keen to know more.

Guest fountainhall

One long email from Perth from a guy that frequents the nude beach often. He stated that although there are many handsome and hung young men parading before his eyes, he does not get as excited as he used to. However a young man that went swimming in his underpants which became almost transparent when wet, turned him on.

I have only been to nude beaches in Sydney. I agree that not much that I see turns me on in any way whatever. Isn't that always what naturists claim? On the other hand, on the rare occasion when I have seen a group of young Asian guys come to the beach, strip off and frolic in the water, I have found it very stimulating - every time :p . Perhaps this is more the novelty value for me, as I am only in Sydney every couple of years or so.

Several PM's mentioned that leaving a little to the imagination is often sexier than total nudity.

I read one thread on another Board some months ago on this topic. Generally I agree. I certainly do not like or enjoy the present 'in your face' nudity in some bars, usually accompanied by almost robotic 'performances' with tied off appendages. I'd far rather be teased. On the other hand, what I called in an earlier post the more 'innocent' nudity of yesteryear, I find equally stimulating. And I am pleased that this is still to be found to some extent in a couple of bars.

Guest phoochaai

Nice Boys and Mic's while not perfect are as close to what I recall Twilight was. Still not as raunchy but as good as it gets in Pattaya.

While I agree on 'Nice Boys' bar being quite raunchy, it's still not the same as the good old 'Twilight'. What 'Nice Boys' offers is boys in underwear that get their dicks out, play with them, wank them to the point of an erection etc. In the late hours at 'Twilight' ,however, the lads were just rotating on stage fully nude, and that was basically it. They didn't necessarily wank, they just occasionally played with their dicks, but the main attraction was the complete physique, which I find most appealing. For some reason it appeals to me more when I see a fully nude lad that does NOT play with his dick but is busy otherwise, i.e. fooling around with his buddies.

I also don't particularly like so see guys getting it out over the front of their underwear playing with it.

On the other hand, guys walking around fully nude, like you sometimes see in saunas (outside of Thailand) is quite pleasing to the eye. So a fully nude gogo bar might be rather nice, as long as it's done tastefully. Preferably without masturbation or anything like that.

Guest phoochaai

I also don't particularly like so see guys getting it out over the front of their underwear playing with it.

On the other hand, guys walking around fully nude, like you sometimes see in saunas (outside of Thailand) is quite pleasing to the eye. So a fully nude gogo bar might be rather nice, as long as it's done tastefully. Preferably without masturbation or anything like that.

Talking about the general setting of go-go bars, is there anyone out there who knows of a bar that offers precisely this sort of setting, i.e. lads on a stage dancing fully nude, but no shows nor sleaze - just natural male beauty on display? It's hard to understand why such a simple but appealing entertainment idea is not on offer in Thailand. I'm pretty sure that many bar goers would be prepared to pay a higher entrance fee or more expensive drinks if they were offered the sight of good-looking athletic lads in their birthday suit. ;)

It's hard to understand why such a simple but appealing entertainment idea is not on offer in Thailand.

Isn't this something to do with the laws on nudity? Otherwise, I expect there would be bars successfully exploiting the customer demand.

Guest fountainhall

Isn't this something to do with the laws on nudity?

I'm sure you're correct and it has something to do with Thaksin's 'social order' clampdown soon after he became PM. But if nudity is not permitted, how come so many bars have shows with nudity? If the palms of relevant authorities are greased to allow these, isn't there at least the possibility of non-show nudity being permitted for the same amount of grease?

Or might it also be that the barboys nowadays are more reticent than they were in the 1980s? As lonelywombat mentioned, many guys - certainly in the Bangkok bars - now wear two pairs of briefs, for reasons which totally escape me. And some of the bars don't use their own staff for the shows.

Guest phoochaai

If the palms of relevant authorities are greased to allow these [i.e. shows with nudity on display], isn't there at least the possibility of non-show nudity being permitted for the same amount of grease?

Very well put, fountainhall. This is exactly the question I was going to raise, but you managed to get to the gist of the matter!

Or might it also be that the barboys nowadays are more reticent than they were in the 1980s? As lonelywombat mentioned, many guys - certainly in the Bangkok bars - now wear two pairs of briefs, for reasons which totally escape me.

In some bars they wear cut away shorts or even small loincloths & cannot wait to show everything off to the customers. I don't think it's the modesty of the dancers that's stopping anyone opening a fully nude bar.