Gaybutton

Flooding

Last year, one of the most severe droughts in Thailand's history. This year, so much rain that the worst flooding in sixty years is occurring in Thailand.

So far Pattaya has been spared, with the exception of a few isolated areas; areas at which tourists are rarely present.

We keep reading about the severity of the flooding in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, two major gay tourist destinations.

I think many of us would appreciate it very much if those of you in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and elsewhere can give us some first-hand information as to the flooding you have seen. How bad is it? Is the flooding occurring in the tourist areas? Which areas are safe and which are areas to avoid? What about transportation?

Any information you can provide would be of great help to those planning to be in those areas over the next several weeks.

10/09 4:30pm Bangkok city

IPB Image

:wacko: super black heavy rain plus lightning and thunder....

can't walk to the street coz floodwaters is over my knee :angry:

and saw people swimming at street :blink:

Nov 10 I will go back Bangkok, hope flood gone~~~

hope Thai bhat fall like the rain.... wahaha...

Guest fountainhall

Bangkok was hit hard earlier in the week with traffic at a virtual standstill in some areas for several hours. Worse is expected next week.

For those not used to the annual flooding, there seem to be 3 main factors. First, if monsoon-like rain pours down for more than about 30 minutes, many of the city's drains can't cope. So lower lying areas quickly get covered with some water. Secondly, the rains in the north flood the Chao Phraya river and this floodwater soon makes its way to Bangkok en route to the sea. But it's the third phenomenon that creates the worst flooding. October sees the highest tides in the Gulf of Thailand and these make their way up the river. So one mass of water meets another mass of water - result, even higher levels in the lower reaches of the river which then overflows.

Obviously the worst hit areas are close to the river. In previous years I have seen sandbags around the pool at the Shangri La Hotel - not just at the river bank. The terrace at the Oriental is sometimes flooded, although this in no way affects the rest of the hotel. Sois around that area, parts of Rama 3 and Rama 4 in Yannawa and Klong Toei can also be bad. And inevitably, some of the klongs also overflow.

Road traffic snarls quickly in these conditions, especially with more people taking their cars in the rainy season. But the Skytrain and subway operate normally, so getting around areas near stations is easy (a strong umbrella and rainproof pants are recommended!)

The good news is that most of the gay areas are virtually unaffected. Soi Twilight, Silom 2 and 4, the Solid/Nature Boys area, Babylon, Chakran areas etc. seem to avoid the floods. No idea about Saphan Kwai. Also, October is traditionally the worst month. November marks the start of the peak tourist season when the rains and the floods are usually much less frequent.

Guest fountainhall

Forgot one thing important for those getting to and from the new airport. When there is flooding, the elevated expresways become totally jammed. Many drivers take these in the stupid belief that they will shorten their travel time. If there's heavy rain about, you need to allow at least an extra hour for the airport trip.

My boyfriend lives in Chainat province but miles from the river. He did say last night that the town he lives near is flooded but his house is not.

I asked him if he was worried about snakes.

He said "not snakes - crocodiles!" :o

I've been following the flood situation in the Post and Nation. It looks like much of Ayutthaya is underwater from their reporting. I just read an article yesterday that many of the historic sites are submerged and in danger.

I made a donation to the Thai Red Cross to help out a little bit with the relief.

Guest GaySacGuy

Toured the river in Bangkok on Friday, and he water is in many houses in the various canels and channels. It is within 2 feet of the top of nearly all the flood walls that I saw, and sand bags are evident everywhere.

It is still raining daily, but not quite so bad on Saturday, and so far no rain on Sunday (1:30 p.m.) :):)

Travelling to Chiang Mai on Tuesday by air. Anyone have any infor on the flooding there??

I was told an hour ago by my Chiangmai friend that there is no flooding in Chiang Mai. As I understand it, the significant flooding in the North centered around Lampang and areas south of Lampang (which happens to be the area that ultimately drains into the Chao Praya and heads for Bangkok). The

online version of Chiangmai Mail issued yesterday has no stories about any flooding.