Guest wowpow

Party Time

Party Time:

Alcoholic-Beverage Control Bill Rejected

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet Tuesday sent back the Alcoholic-Beverage Control Bill for further discussions among relevant authorities.

The bill is designed to impose many restrictions on alcoholic-beverage sales, including a ban on people under 25 years old age to buy the alcoholic drinks.

According to the bill, discounts and promotional gimmicks for the sale of alcoholic beverages will also be banned.

An informed source said the Cabinet extensively debated on how to implement control measures with proper balance. It also raised questions as to how to identify which person is at least 25 years old of age, which will allow them to buy alcoholic drinks legally.

The Cabinet has assigned the Education, Commerce, Industry, Social Development and Human Security ministries to send their representatives for further discussions on the bill.

-- The Nation 2006-10-17

via www.thaivisa.com

Guest GayPattayan

Glad commom sense prevailed. Sure hate to see all these half-baked ideas put out about alcoholic beverage control. I hope they will start dealing with the real problem and if they have trouble with certain types of alcoholic beverage sale, deal with that rather than whatever crazy idea someone throws out amd finds support for. I know our"friend" Purachai has resurfaced in this government, but let's hope common sense prevails, rather than a series of knee jerk, anti-drinking ideas that realy accomplish nothing.

Hopefully this government will exercise good common sense, rather than jump on every far out idea someone throws out.

It makes no sense to me at all.

You just hit on the very essence of much of what the powers-that-be in Thailand come up with. It makes no sense, at least not to us. My favorite is still the 1:00 AM bar closing rule. The stated reason for that was because it will dramatically cut down on street crime. Worked great, didn't it?

Guest catawampuscat

I seem to remember the closing time reason was to limit the noise pollution from the discos and

clubs pulsating thru the nite..

If you live near a nite spot, you know how loud these places can get and at 3AM or 4AM, you

start to apprecitate the earlier closing times.. ;)

If you live near a nite spot, you know how loud these places can get

I don't see how. The regulations specifically say that none of these places are allowed to play music louder than 90 decibels. Naturally, that is also being rigidly enforced, just like everything else. That's working great too, isn't it?

Now maybe if the police realize they play the music without wearing helmets perhaps more attention would b e paid . . . .