TotallyOz

Thai Air to stop Non Stop Service to LAX

Guest fountainhall

THAI purchased the 4-engine A340-500 long range aircraft to service the JFK and LAX non-stop services. But even with JFK often 80% full, THAI never made a profit on the route and so the service was withdrawn in mid-2008. Since then, the airline has been desperately trying to sell the aircraft.

The 2-engine 777-200 is cheaper to operate. Either it can not hold enough fuel to make the trip to/from LAX in one go, or the route to Seoul ex-LAX and ex-BKK is profitable enough for TG to add a stop to increase capacity.

According to TG's site, the 777-200s between LAX and BKK will have a Premium Economy section when they start the route via Seoul.

If I have to change planes, I'd much rather do it in Seoul versus Narita. I don't know how DL and others can advertise 1 hr connections in Narita when you have to go through long security lines again. I've done Chicago-Seoul-Bkk on KE and found it an easy transfer. Detroit-Tokyo-BKK stresses me out, even when flying business class it's always rush rush rush

Guest thaiworthy

My next flight is on Delta, flight 275 from Detroit to Tokyo, on a 747-400. Seat guru says the Economy Comfort Seats that you recommended have the same 17" width as regular economy. Those seats only have a 31-32" pitch compared to the Economy Comfort class which has a 36" pitch. Does that mean there is more distance between you and the seat in front of you? This upgrade will cost $135. The leg to BKK is another $60. Is that worth it for a 36" pitch?

Usually when I get a good pitch, there's a swing and a miss: strike-out. I have very bad luck selecting seats. Mebbe I should save my money, and wait for the Major League business class, but I probably won't do that, either.

I guess if you loved the beach enough, you would spend the money. And you could snap a shot of the ocean once you got there.

Those seats only have a 31-32" pitch compared to the Economy Comfort class which has a 36" pitch. Does that mean there is more distance between you and the seat in front of you? This upgrade will cost $135. The leg to BKK is another $60. Is that worth it for a 36" pitch?

The best economy leg room is usually in the emergency exit rows. Also, you can come & go as you please without disturbing or being disturbed by other passengers. So what's required to bag one of those with your chosen airline? (This seems to very from airline to airline)

My next flight is on Delta, flight 275 from Detroit to Tokyo, on a 747-400. Seat guru says the Economy Comfort Seats that you recommended have the same 17" width as regular economy. Those seats only have a 31-32" pitch compared to the Economy Comfort class which has a 36" pitch. Does that mean there is more distance between you and the seat in front of you? This upgrade will cost $135. The leg to BKK is another $60. Is that worth it for a 36" pitch?

Yes, an extra four inches. Pitch is, I think, the distance from seat back to seat back. Is it worth it? For me yes, yes, yes although because of my status it is free, free, free.

So Thaiworthy, you are a beach-lover? If so take a snap-shot of the boys and post them for us to enjoy, but none of those money-boy prostitutes that one can find in Pattaya.

Guest fountainhall

Pitch is, I think, the distance from seat back to seat back

That's correct. I am really surprised that Delta has only 5 extra inches pitch and no additional width of seat for its 'Comfort' Economy Class. Also, according to seatguru.com, they stick to 10-across seating. Most other carriers opt for 8-across in a 2-4-2 format on a 747-400. Not only that, Delta's seats are clustered around a noisy Galley. Hardly worth paying more for in my book.

http://www.seatguru....0_Version_2.php

Compare that with THAI which on the A340-500s presently on the LAX route give you 11 inches more pitch and 2 inches more width.

http://www.seatguru....us_A340-500.php

It will be interesting to see if THAI continues to be so generous when it reequips the rest of its fleet with Premium Economy.

An in-between is EVA with 7 - 9 inches more pitch depending on the aircraft and 1 inch extra width.

Guest thaiworthy
So Thaiworthy, you are a beach-lover? If so take a snap-shot of the boys and post them for us to enjoy, but none of those money-boy prostitutes that one can find in Pattaya.

Oh mercy, NO! Whatever made you think I would snap a shot of them? Some prostitutes don't like the beach and the beach lovers don't even like them!

Yes, an extra four inches.

I am really surprised that . . . has only 5 extra inches

An in-between is . . . with 7 - 9 inches more . . . and 1 inch extra width.

Oh mercy, NO!

This thread has really deteriorated! Out of respect for those concerned, I've taken the liberty of hiding the names of the various beach-lovers.

Guest fountainhall

As far as I can work out from TG's website, only the A340-500s seem to have Premium Economy at present. I have also checked seatexpert.com and seatmaestro.com. Neither presently shows Premium Economy in TG's 777 fleet (although I have no idea how accurate these sites are).

I agree that seatguru is sometimes a bit slow on the uptake! flyertalk.com must surely have something on Thai's 777s re-seating, but I rarely check the site and just cannot find anything.

It seems that at present TG has four different types of 777. Since you can now book Premium Economy on the the re-routed LAX service, I can only assume that the Extended Range versions are being re-seated prior to the non-stop service ending.

Guest anonone

Just back from Thailand and catching up on all the posts.

A concise summary:

NEW SCHEDULE - Effective May 1, 2012

4 days a week - Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday

One Stop service to Bangkok via Seoul-Incheon (ICN), Korea

Flight Number TG795

Aircraft Boeing 777-200ER

Frequency Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun

Departure Time LAX 1310 Arrival Time ICN 1750 + 1 day

Departure Time ICN 1900 Arrival Time BKK 2250

Flight Number TG 794

Aircraft Boeing 777-200ER

Frequency Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun

Departure Time BKK 0735 Arrival Time ICN 1500

Departure Time ICN 1610 Arrival Time LAX 1110 (same day)

Thai 777-200ER does not have Premium Economy seats, and no indication that they will be available for these flights. My guess is the website has not been accurately updated to reflect the lack of Premium Economy seats on this route.

The airbus 340-500, which serves the non-stop LAX-BKK route, is capable of very long flights, but is very fuel inefficient. There is no other plane in the current Thai fleet which has the range for the LAX - BKK non-stop.

Guest fountainhall

Thai 777-200ER does not have Premium Economy seats, and no indication that they will be available for these flights. My guess is the website has not been accurately updated to reflect the lack of Premium Economy seats on this route.

Thank you for the clarification. I did note a Premium Economy fare when I checked early May dates a few days ago, but now there is definitely no Premium Economy - at least for the time being. Apologies for posting inaccurate information.

Guest anonone

It is a bit confusing. I just checked some flights for early May and Thai does show Premium Economy seats for sale, but the route does show 777-200 as the aircraft with the stop in Korea. Price was ~$1,900 USD. Business class was much more at ~$4,500 USD.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to those purchasing Premium Economy for these flights. My guess is they will either be kicked up to Business Class (if space available) or be refunded part of their fare and have to sit in regular Economy. Not a great customer experience....

Guest fountainhall

It is a bit confusing.

It's extremely confusing! Checking some other May dates ex-BKK just now - BKK/LAX May 8 and LAX/BKK May 15 - TG's site lists five different return economy fares and no Premium Economy. But if you check a return flight out of LAX and BKK on the corresponding dates, there IS a Premium Economy fare! Yet, these have to be the same aircraft! :wacko: