MrBill

Thai Travel Advice

I know this crosses topics addressed before, but I couldn't find an answer so I hope people will forgive me if this seems like a repeat. After a 3 year absence, I will visit thailand again. I will arrive Nov 22 in BKK. I have an appointment in BKK Sunday Nov 25 AM. After that I plan on heading to Pattaya.

I've done most all the touristy things and bars in BKK, so I'm thinking of visiting some place new for Nov 22-24 rather than stay in BKK. Is 2 days enough to do Chiang Mai or would you folks in the know recommend some other places to visit? In my previous 6 trips I've only visited BKK, Pattaya and Phuket. Not really interested in returning to Phuket.

Looking on the Internet, most of the lower cost airfares to CMX are already sold out, I assume due to upcoming loy krathong. Any advice would be appreciated.

As far as what I am looking for... I enjoy the culture places like Wat Po and the palace in BKK and entertainment places like nong nooch and Sri Racha Tiger Zoo in Chonburi... so I'm not just looking for bars and boyz.

Thanks in advance

KB

If you can find a ticket to Chiangmai, you'd enjoy the night parades during Loy Krathong, I think. Quite impressive. I'd note that they have three nightly parades with the third night being the biggest. As to what date the first parade occurs, you'll have to look around (normally it started on Loy Krathong day itself but last year was slightly different).

While in Chiangmai, a visit up to the temple on Doi Suthep (name of the "mountain" west of the city and visible everywhere) would be enjoyable. If the air is somewhat clear, quite a view of Chiangmai from the veranda up there (and the temple is rather nice too). If you want to see some tigers, the Tiger Kingdom at Mae Rim is fun (just don't go into the cage with the larger tigers as it's simply too damn dangerous).

If you have specific questions about restaurants (type of food, please) or other activities, just ask and one or two of us ought to be able to provide some information.

Guest travelerjim

While in ChiangMai...

suggest you stay at PJ's Place...

http://pjs-place.com/

They will pamper you...meet you at airport, return to airport...

suggest local places to see & visit.

Great hosts, comfy rooms, reasonable rates and good breakfast included.

Book early..they sell out!

tj

Guest fountainhall

Since you will be in Bangkok and if haven’t already seen it, please do try and visit the extraordinary exhibition titled Arts of the Kingdom in the amazing Ananta Samakhorn Throne Hall of the old Parliament Building (close to the Dusit Zoo).

The exhibition was mounted more than four years ago and was planned to last only a few months. But the number of visitors exceeded all expectation and it will continue to run for the foreseeable future. The exhibits themselves are quite staggering. Unfortunately the photos below taken from small postcards do not do them anything like justice. Many of the exhibitis involved several hundred artisans working for more than 2 ½ years.

The Throne Hall is spectacular. Designed by an Italian, the upper hall at first gives the impression of being an ornate European Cathedral. Yet all the decoration is very Thai. A small octagonal room decorated with beetle wings at the entrance is mind-blowing. I had no idea beetle wings could be used for such stunning decor. This afternoon I took a friend visiting from London. She thought it was by far the best thing she has seen in Bangkok.

Entry is Bt. 150. But if you have visited Wat Phra Kaew and the Grand Palace within 7 days and still have your entrance ticket, you have free access to this Exhibition.

http://www.artsofthe...EartsofC14.html

post-1892-0-76733600-1347381072_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-32555900-1347381086_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-37829100-1347381105_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-87603900-1347381121_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-20725800-1347381140_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-31174900-1347381159_thumb.jpg

Mr Bill - if I understand your dates right, you are going to fly into Bangkok on 22nd and transfer to a flight to Chiang Mai the same day. Air Asia and Nok Air both now fly from Don Muang, so the transfer from airport to airport would take an hour or more. It depends on the traffic, in addition to the normal time to check in etc. I would suggest, for the outward journey at least, considering Bangkok Air or Thai for the flight to Chiang Mai, rather than the budget options. You may feel it would be worth it in terms of reduced stress. You can also take into account the 400 baht or so a taxi from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang would cost you.

Guest fountainhall

In Chiang Mai, Khun Bob has mentioned Doi Suthep. That's a must for a 1/2 day trip. Within Chiang Mai itself, there are dozens of interesting temples, especially in the old town within the moat, including Wat Phra Singh and Wat Chedi Luang. For another half day, consider a trip to Doi Inthanon National Park. It has some lovely waterfalls including Wachirathan and Mae Klang which will be in full spate at this time of year. Then there are also lovely orchid farms outside the city, as well as an elephant camp where you can be taken on short rides through the forest.

Wat Phra Singh

post-1892-0-13646400-1347426446_thumb.jpg

Wat Chedi Luang

post-1892-0-10794400-1347426496_thumb.jpg

Gold Chedi

post-1892-0-61938000-1347425797_thumb.jpg

Wachirathan Waterfall

post-1892-0-56064600-1347426540_thumb.jpg

Mae Klang Waterfall

post-1892-0-26995200-1347426568_thumb.jpg

Regarding all the advice for travel to Chiang Mai: Has the city been spared by the floods?

No flooding here at all (which is surprising given that Lamphun and Lampang - not all that far from Chiangmai - both have had some flooding issues).

I was down by the river a couple of hours ago and observed that the Ping isn't very high at all for this time of year. It'd take a whole lot of rain in the next couple of weeks (typically we're past any flooding issue by October) for there to be any problem here at all.

Last year, there was flooding by the river for only 2-3 days. And I would note that the flooding that occurred last year was due solely to the release of a ton of water by a dam well north of here (the flooding wasn't due to local rainfall around here).

Thanks to everyone for the great travel advice. I'm more excited than ever and believe even a 2-day trip north will be worth it. I also plan to take in the Arts of the Kingdom exhibit in BKK. Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to my inquiry.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have once your travel dates get closer and/or when you get here in Chiangmai. A couple of us live up here and we can likely answer any questions you might have.