TotallyOz

Medical Insurance for Expats in Thailand

I have a few questions about Medical Insurance in Thailand and I'd love to hear some first hand experiences from others in Thailand. We had a great discussion about this in 2009:

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/4432-medical-insurance-for-someone-living-in-los/

I am curious how things have changed or stayed the same since then.

I am looking for a policy that will cover me in Thailand. I have good coverage in USA and it does extend to Thailand but for a 6 month period. I'd like to have additional coverage in Thailand just in case. What plans, companies would you recommend?

You need to talk to Traveler Jim. He'll have all the answers for you.

I'm still relying on my US policy which will reimburse for covered expenses while I live over here but that'll end a year from now (which means I'll be talking to TJ about acquiring some type of major med policy that'll cover me over here).

Taking a long term view, I'd quite like to know how the medical insurance system works and what it costs for a reliable policy that will actually pay out.

Maybe one issued by a major multi-national insurer.

Then what happens if you develop some long term illness after a couple of years with the policy? Do they refuse to renew it, or do the premiums go up?

Coming from the UK, I'm used to a Communist style state monopoly for health care.

Guest fountainhall

I think many members are aware that Traveler Jim is having a hip problem fixed and so may not reply for a day or so. But he is definitely the person to speak to.

Just one word of advice - which I wish I had paid heed to years ago. Health insurance premiums will always go up each year, usually more than inflation. However, as one gets older, there are additionally quite hefty jumps at 60, 65, 70 and 75. Unfortunately, if you have not examined forward premiums closely, the more extensive your plan, the heftier will be those five-yearly hikes. So it's important to bear this in mind in budgeting for the future.

The other issue is: you are in the hands of the insurers as to the geographical extent of cover. If you are based only in Thailand, that should not be an issue, and you are likely to be on the lowest premium band as medical costs here are very reasonable. But if you travel to countries outside Thailand, you may be covered now, but not necessarily in the future. For example, my plan has been for worldwide cover outside North America. This year, with no explanation other than that costs in some other countries have gone up more than expected, cover in Japan, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore will also be excluded as of the next renewal. So, as I travel to all of these countries, I either have to up to the top premium band at a whopping increase, or find a better and more expensive travel insurance policy that has a decent major-medical built-in.

I dont think you can beat the Pattaya Expats Group Medical Insurance, they get big discounts on this one, that most guy I know belong to and are very happy with, when you compare the others your forget the rest.

Renewals- It can be renewed up to the age of 75. Kuhn Neng also offers individual medical insurance coverage.

The broker offering this Group policy is Neng (Chamnong Anusat-utai)

Telephone: 084-003-6030, 038-427-585, 038-420-707 Fax 038-429-773,

E-mail: neng611@hotmail.com. Pattaya Service Center (same office at Pattaya People) 20/15-

16 M.10 Soi Day-Night Hotel, South Pattaya Rd.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/GROUP_%20HEALTH_%20INSURANCE.pdf?

Guest thaiworthy

To get the insurance through the Pattaya Expats you have to be no older than 59.5 and in perfect health. No pre-existing conditions. What a surprise! :angry:

Guest fountainhall

What does this mean:

4) Persons eligible to participate: Insured's Employees about 18 persons, as per list to be attached to the policy

I expect this is a group insurance policy available through the Pattaya Expats Club and that the rates apply to a minimum number of 18 joining the scheme. In my experience, premiums are a good deal less expensive if you are in a Group scheme rather than taking out an individual policy.

There are two English speaking Expat Clubs in Pattaya - there are two group health insurance policies available (the same brokers and polices are available at either of the two clubs - Pattaya City Expats Club meets at the Tavern by the Sea (Amari Resort) and Pattaya Expat Club meets at Mercure Hotel - they both meet on Sunday. One of the policies offered through AA Brokers has a cut off for joining of 59.5 and ends when you turn 65. The other policy offered by Khun Neng allows you to join up to age 65 and ends at age 75. Coverage is about the same for both. Both, as with all Thai health policies, exclude pre-existing conditions. When coverage stops, it is my understanding the brokers can get you an individual insurance policy, but at a much higher premium - most likely with the same company that underwrites the group policy (perhaps if you develop a "condition" under the group policy, it will remain covered when switching to the individual policy - a good question to ask I would think before taking out the lower cost group policy to start with).

Guest travelerjim

May I also suggest you look at the maximum benefit in the policies offered.

FYI...my current medical related costs for my left hip/bacterial infection care has exceeded

1.1 Million Thai baht...since June, 2012. ...today marked the beginning of the 5th week in the hospital...

the cost of the past 4 weeks in the hospital was 934,000 Thai baht including 3 surgeries involving the left hip...

with at least 1-2 weeks more in the hospital...

Then more costs for medical care being homebound with antibiotics until bacterial infection clears...

with weekly check upand blood tests...antibiotics are expensive...one I am taking by IV each 18 hours is

17,000 Thai baht daily......for 14 days...then switch to another...orally taken antibiotic...

then another hospital surgery to implant a new left hip implant...est 300,000 Thai baht + 4 days in hospital +

1-2 months at home recovery...more Thai baht.

I am fortunate to have health insurance as a "retired employee" of MetLife Insurance Co. in USA.''

worldwide coverage.

Also look at the exclusions for any HIV/AIDS related care..

even IF you are not HIV positive at policy issue date. I have not seen a Thai

health insurance policy which will cover HIV/AIDS if you becoe positive in the future.

Take care,

tj

Apologies for deviating from the topic, but as it has a medical theme maybe I may be permitted to ask, as it's not really worth starting a new thread.

I started on Warfarin a few weeks ago and need to get my blood level checked during my forthcoming visit to the Kingdom.

Any information as to a hospital in Bangkok that might be able to do this? Thank you.

Apologies for deviating from the topic, but as it has a medical theme maybe I may be permitted to ask, as it's not really worth starting a new thread.

I started on Warfarin a few weeks ago and need to get my blood level checked during my forthcoming visit to the Kingdom.

Any information as to a hospital in Bangkok that might be able to do this? Thank you.

No need to go to hospital unless you want a doctor to help interpret the results. I go here:

http://lifecare.siam2web.com/

Near Laundry Express off 3rd Rd., not far from Sunee.

Yesterday, I started to make the same suggestion for the lab here in Pattaya and then realized the OP was looking for a place in Bangkok. I don't know if there is a similar "laboratory" setup in Bangkok; but, there are numerous hospitals any of which can provide the blood test. Most take about an hour to get the results back and usually involve seeing a doctor, who orders the test - so probably around 2,000 Baht or so at one of the International Hospitals. The Pattaya City Expats Club has a list of hospitals in Bangkok and provinces with links to their websites if known - http://www.pattayaci...HEALTH- CARE.pd

Click on Listing of Health Service Providers on the page that comes up.

Guest fountainhall

I'm sure most Bangkok hospitals and clinics can do this. Some convenient ones are -

Bumrungrad Hospital between Sukhumvit i and 3

BNH at the Sathorn end of Soi Convent

Bangkok Christian Hospital on Silom down from Soi 4

St. Louis Hospital on lower Sathorn near Surasak BTS station

Bangkok Heart Hospital off New Petchburi Road north of Thong Lo BTS station

There's also Chulalongkorn Hospital on the other side of Rama 4 between the top of Silom/Suriwong. This is a teaching hospital attached to the University and so may be cheaper.

Guest thaiworthy

How to get there:

Now matter where these hospitals are, if you have an emergency situation and need ambulatory services, you are out of luck if you have to travel more than a few blocks. Unless traveling between the hours of midnight to 5 am, no vehicle in the world can realistically navigate these streets in time to make a difference.

Guest fountainhall

Khun Thaiworthy raises an interesting point. I always wondered how one gets an ambulance in Bangkok? I found this four-year old Thaivisa post and wonder if it remains accurate -

EMS Ambulance services can be reached by dialing 1646 which will directed you to "Erawan Center" - the centralized Bangkok CCC (Command and Communication Center) which formally handled by "Narenthorn Center"

A different section of the Thaivisa site gives these numbers -

Ambulance Service Centre 02 255 1134–6

Ambulance and Rescue 1669

Meanwhile, the site below gives the central reception numbers for various hospitals where an english-speaking person will respond and get you through to their private ambulance service -

BNH Hospital Tel: 02 632 1000

Bumrungrad Hospital Tel: 02 667 1188

Bangkok Hospital Tel: 1719

Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital Tel: 02 712 7007

Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital Tel: 02 378 9000

Saint Louis Hospital Tel: 02 675 5000

Bangkok Christian Hospital Tel: 02 233 6981-9

http://bangkok.anglo.../local-numbers/