TotallyOz

A House vs A Condo in Thailand

I have lived in both houses and in condos in the LOS and both have advantages.

A house can be larger and have lots more space. You get tons of privacy and in the ones I lived in, never had to deal with neighbors. I had a private pool at my homes I rented so I loved being able to go out and swim alone.

A condo to me has become more convenient and easy. I love being able to get anything fixed really fast with maintenance and not having to leave the building to get laundry or get items needed from the store.

I had food poisoning for the last few days and I will admit that being in a condo made things pretty easy for me as I never had to leave the building to get food delievered each meal and while I do the BF's, I like being able to just take an elevator downstairs and eat without leaving in the rain.

You are sometimes limited in condos. I can't choose the package I want for UBC. I can't get True Internet in the condo as they only allow ToT and 3BB.

Security is about the same in both places and I always felt secure in a home and I also do in the condo.

I really got to thinking about this while I was a bit under the weather this week and I was glad I had chosen a condo this go around.

What do others prefer? Are other cities different than in Pattaya?

I have a different take on the security comparisons ..... in my condo I can just lock the door and take off for parts known and unknown for virtually any length of time and not have to worry about security ...... come back, open the door, usually just as I left it .......generally speaking however, taking several friends as examples, you cannot do that with a house ...... not a good idea to leave it untended even for just a few nights at a time.

Conversely, I find the primary negative about a condo is the usual "NO PETS" rule that abides in most of them. Put then comes the issue of what to do with them when taking off for a bit .... somewhat of a conundrum.

Guest thaiworthy

I have a different take on the security comparisons ..... in my condo I can just lock the door and take off for parts known and unknown for virtually any length of time and not have to worry about security ...... come back, open the door, usually just as I left it .......generally speaking however, taking several friends as examples, you cannot do that with a house ...... not a good idea to leave it untended even for just a few nights at a time.

Conversely, I find the primary negative about a condo is the usual "NO PETS" rule that abides in most of them. Put then comes the issue of what to do with them when taking off for a bit .... somewhat of a conundrum.

I agree with every word dale1 said. I like pets, but without a house, forget it. On the other hand, houses get robbed. You might as well put a sign on the door that says "Rob Me." No matter how secure you feel in a house, all you can do is slow them down. They even come in through THE ROOF! Stay in a condo. There are more advantages than disadvantages.

I prefer a house. I also like having a dog. Security is an issue, but I installed an alarm system which includes inside motion sensors (the type that is not set off by pets) in case someone decided on the roof entry. I live in a village that has security (they patrol on bicycles throughout the day and night - about 20 minute intervals) - if the alarm goes off, a strobe light turns on & security is here within a minute or two -- of course the primary function of the alarm is to scare off the burglar(s). The system has a sim card and calls my phone if the alarm goes off.

Although it has gone off a few times, it usually is by accident - opening a door or window & forgetting it is "on." When I get the phone alert, my first act is to call the bf - who usually informs me he is home and "forgot" to turn off the alarm when he came in or took too much time before turning it off. Recently, we both were together when I rec'd the phone alert. Security said they responded, checked the perimeter, and found nothing amiss. The alarm does shut off after about 5 minutes - it has battery back up - not sure how long it lasts, but I know it is more than 8 hours.

Initially I had a problem with bf coming home after I had gone to bed and not turning it on before coming to bed. Although I kept getting on to him about it, it didn't seem to do much good. Then one night when he forgot to turn it on again, someone did try to break in (removed some window slats in outer kitchen window - no alarm there, but it is on the door between the inner and outer kitchen). Fortunately, the back up system worked - my dog's barking lasted longer than usual and seemed to be a different pitch. I went downstairs and although she had quit barking, she was standing at the glass door between the two kitchens - when I looked, I saw that some window slats had been removed but there was no one about. I saw the alarm was off - turned it on and went back to bed (3am) - the bf had slept through it all. The next morning I showed the bf the window and he got all excited and reported it to Security and later made a police report - but, the important thing was he hasn't forgotten to turn the alarm on since.

These stories about farangs and security issues with their homes is one important reason why I chose a condo. Every farang that I know, has had at one time home security concerns whether they lived in a gated community or not. In Chiang Mai years ago, a farang and his bf were threatened by armed burglars who had poisoned the guard dogs. I always wanted pets (dogs and cats) so I entertained the idea of a home. But I am a buyer not a renter, and refuse to pay money to a landlord and since I can not own property in my own name, a condo was an easy choice for me.

The comments above are exactly as I thought it might be.

I doubt if Thai crime levels would be any higher than in some western countries. However, a farang living in a house is likely to be easily spotted and followed by criminal types. Guess he would be an obvious target for burglars, based on the assumption he's wealthy and may have some items worth stealing.

So you tend to favour condos.

I expect houses are expensive to buy in Pattaya and you can probably forget it in Bangkok, whereas in many towns and cities away from the bright lights probably affordable to the average farang retiring to Thailand - where I understand you need a Thai partner in order to 'legimitise' the sale. Many farang choose to have their dream home built from scatch, buying a plot of land, choosing an architect and builder and moving in a few months later.

In places where land is scarce and property prices accordingly high, if I chose to live there I'd opt for a condo but if I was living the quiet life in Isarn or northern Thailand I'd rent a house first and if I was happy living in that area and decided to put down roots there I'd consider buying a house. . . it wouldn't be stocked with much of value and I'd make certain all the locals knew that. No Rothko's on the walls, no antiques, no jewellery blah blah.

. . .you cannot do that with a house ...... not a good idea to leave it untended even for just a few nights at a time.

Just a quick consideration of Dale's point that leaving a house unattended is risky. Why not employ a live-in maid? He/she can stay behind and look after the place when you are away. It will not make the house 100% secure but ought to deter the casual or opportunistic thief.

Guest thaiworthy

Koko, that's not just a theft-deterrent, that's an everything-deterrent. You would scare away the guard dogs in that outfit. Suggest you not lose that feather-duster though, it may come in handy in case the Bon Ami boys come to rob the house. You can swat them with it and throw Ajax cleanser in their eyes like mace.

Be aware that if someone calls 911 (or is that 119?) they may take you away instead of the burglar!

I expect houses are expensive to buy in Pattaya and you can probably forget it in Bangkok, whereas in many towns and cities away from the bright lights probably affordable to the average farang retiring to Thailand - where I understand you need a Thai partner in order to 'legimitise' the sale. Many farang choose to have their dream home built from scatch, buying a plot of land, choosing an architect and builder and moving in a few months later.

In places where land is scarce and property prices accordingly high, if I chose to live there I'd opt for a condo but if I was living the quiet life in Isarn or northern Thailand I'd rent a house first and if I was happy living in that area and decided to put down roots there I'd consider buying a house. . . it wouldn't be stocked with much of value and I'd make certain all the locals knew that. No Rothko's on the walls, no antiques, no jewellery blah blah.

It's as most realtors in the world will tell you " location, location, location". In Pattaya, many of the housing developments are east of Sukumvit (with lower land costs) and a home's initial cost is a better value, in my opinion. Since owning a condo is the only legal way you can hold the title in your own name, the value of condo could be overstated in relation to a house. If Thai law changes, and foreigners are permitted to own land, then I suspect house prices will increase dramatically and condo prices (who knows?).

Guest anonone

This is not something I would need to give a lot of thought to....Condo all the way.

I detest most aspects of home ownership...especially caring for the lawn and upkeep on the building. Even if you hire it out, there are things to oversee and fret about. As mentioned above, it also adds complexity for being away for any appreciable length of time. I have done the house thing here in the US...now live in a condo...and very happy I made the switch.

For someone that enjoys tinkering and fixing things...or likes to garden and spend time on landscaping, I can see a house making sense. For me, no way.

I have had the opposite experience to Anone in my home country, England. Horrendous legal and financial problems with the freeholder of my flat (the rough equivalent in Thailand would be the juristic person that owns the fabric and land of a condo) which cost me dear to get out of. When I did escape fron it I bought a house and wouldn't consider moving back to a flat in England. I also find dealing with repairs and maintenance easier with my own house - you just get the job done rather than faffing around with intermediaries.

In Thailand, I'd probably only ever rent. As the law stands at the moment if I did buy, it would be a condo. It's doubtful whether any of the schemes to allow a farang to own land are legal, and who is to say that the laws won't be enforced sometime in the future? In any case, at first sight, the legal structured that are created to enable foreign house ownership seem to me tohave the potential to give third parties more rights over your property than owning a lease on a condo.