kokopelli

Quiz- Lincoln, the Statue; not the Movie

Another puzzling quiz for you sleuths out there. This statue of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States is prominently displayed where? No, it is not in Springfield, Illinois where he once lived but it could be anywhere in the world. It is in an outdoor environment for any and all to see. Clues will be given as needed.

post-9743-0-03720500-1353774067_thumb.jpg

Here's showing my ignorance: the only Lincoln statue I've ever seen is the famous one in Washington DC the one where he's seated. I may have seen others, but if so they haven't stuck in my mind.

I'd need a ton of clues to even get to first base guess-wise.

There are many statues of Lincoln all over the US with most of them, I think, centered around the midwest and State of Illinois. There are even several statues of him as a young man and boy. And I know there are several statues of Lincoln outside the US with one or more in England and one somewhat famous one somewhere in Havana, Cuba.

But, as noted, this particular statue seems a bit strange to me. The legs are very tall and it seems (maybe it's the camera angle) Lincoln is depicted as even skinnier than he was. But I'm somewhat guessing that's a key in at least one of the hands of this statue and that's not untypical of some Lincoln statues, the key representing his freeing the shackles of the slaves.

With the apparently clear, blue, sky in the background, I'd guess we can pretty much dismiss Thailand as the location...hehe.

Here's showing my ignorance: the only Lincoln statue I've ever seen is the famous one in Washington DC the one where he's seated. I may have seen others, but if so they haven't stuck in my mind.

I'd need a ton of clues to even get to first base guess-wise.

Oh dear Rogie! Old Abe traveled around the UK quite a bit. Here are some of his statues; London, Manchester and Edinburgh From left to right and then bottom photo.

post-9743-0-67686600-1353863465_thumb.jpg

post-9743-0-45221800-1353863493_thumb.jpg

post-9743-0-37879900-1353863569_thumb.jpg

And I know there are several statues of Lincoln outside the US with one or more in England and one somewhat famous one somewhere in Havana, Cuba.

With the apparently clear, blue, sky in the background, I'd guess we can pretty much dismiss Thailand as the location...hehe.

Wow Bob! Lincoln in Havana; for that you win a Cuban cigar! Yes with the blue sky in the background it is not Thailand. Of course I had to crop out some other tell tale features to make it more difficult.

post-9743-0-35798300-1353864703_thumb.jpg

Guest thaiworthy

The statue is located in sunny Mexico, of all places! Precisely, Tijuana. The statue was a gift of friendship from the USA. This statue is not very far from the US border.

In exchange, the USA got a statue of Benito Juarez (a fair trade?) which is located in San Diego, a notorious hangout of the OP. Having ventured into Tijuana many times myself, I got tired of the police payoffs to non-existent stop signs, so I eventually stopped driving in and started walking through the border. (And I thought Thailand was bad, which is why I don't drive here.)

The border checks are also very intimidating by car as well. They pull you into a secondary inspection if you don't buy souvenir crap. So I beat them at their own game, bought a big set of crap, kept it in the trunk, and when I went back in, I just re-declared the same stuff over and over. What a game!

I gave up trips to TJ many years ago. The boys there are all thieves and drug addicts. Their bars are the first stop the local prison bus makes for their newest ex-convictsI I would prefer the company of honest Abe any day, which can be a comforting sight on your way back home. My advice: don't ever go there! There are many other places in this world to see. TJ is a long way down on the list for me.

LincolnTijuana.jpg

Abe in Tijuana, Mexico. A stark irony: One of world's greatest men in one of the world's worst cities.

http://mexicalimarya...out-in-tijuana/

I recognized the statue of Benito Juarez (the one in Chicago) so figured the Lincoln statue had to be in Mexico somewhere. As to where, I would have guessed Mexico City (I was thinking that, when Koko said something about blocking out some recognizable things in the photo, they might have been some other statuary or even the big angel in Mexico City).

Congrats Thaiworthy. You win a Margarita. I wasn't aware of Benito Juarez in SD but now know where to look on my next visit. Yes, best to avoid TJ especially now with all the crime.

Some of the photos of the Abe Lincoln in Tijuana had palm trees in them so that was a giveaway!

I really didn't think anyone would have recognized President Benito Juarez of the United States of Mexico. He was known as the Abraham Lincoln of Mexico and he and Abe did exchange letters. Here is Abe and Ben in San Diego.

So Bob gets a Margarita also.

post-9743-0-49353700-1353903275_thumb.jpg

Kudos ('likes') to Koko for the excellent Abe quiz and to TW for knowing the answer.

I failed miserably and certainly would never have known the identity of the Mexican president, a contemporary of Lincoln's.

I was also pathetically un-Ab(l)e and unaware there was a statue of Lincoln in Manchester, the nearest city to where I currently live. My excuse is I lived away from Manchester for many years and only moved back to the vicinity of Manchester a few years ago, well after the statue was moved to its present location in Lincoln Square (although to be fair it had been in Platt Fields since 1919 but that is not the centre of Manchester by any means so pretty unlikely you would know about it unless you lived locally and went jogging in the park or took your dog for walks there).

Here is the text of a letter written in 1863 to the working men of Manchester/Lancashire.

Extract of a letter / To the working people of Manchester 19th January 1863 / I know and deeply deplore the sufferings which the working people of Manchester / and in all Europe are called to endure in this crisis. It has been often and studiously / represented that the attempt to overthrow this Government which was built on the / foundation of human rights, and to substitute for it one which should rest exclusively / on the basis of slavery, was likely to obtain the favour of Europe. / Through the action of disloyal citizens the working people of Europe / have been subjected to a severe trial for the purpose of forcing their sanction / to that attempt. Under these circumstances I cannot but regard your decisive / utterances upon the question as an instance of sublime Christian heroism which has / not been surpassed in any age or in any country. It is indeed an energetic / and re-inspiring assurance of the inherent truth and of the ultimate and universal / triumph of justice, humanity and freedom ... I hail this interchange of sentiments / therefore, as an augury that whatever else may happen, whatever misfortune / may befall your country or my own, the peace and friendship which now exists / between the two nations will be as it shall be my desire to make them, perpetual.

http://www.revealinghistories.org.uk/the-american-civil-war-and-the-lancashire-cotton-famine/places/statue-of-abraham-lincoln-lincoln-square-manchester.html