Guest fountainhall

Champagne Christmas Quiz 2012

Guest fountainhall

For this year’s quiz, first the good news: many of the questions are multiple choice. So even if you haven’t a clue about an answer, you still have at least a 20% chance of being right. The bad news is that like many of the recent quiz questions on this Board, a number are initially quite difficult (at least I think so). But please don't give up! With some knowledge, a reasonable amount of relatively simple research (google will get you far with some of the questions) and some plain guesswork, it ought be possible to get quite a few points in the bag. (And as a small hint - some of the answers have appeared on this Board over the last year!). Plus you have almost two whole weeks to work it all out before making an entry!

My hope is that the quiz will be regarded as a bit of fun and that many readers will decide just to have a go. All photos were taken by me. Nothing has been added. Only the one in Question O has been slightly retouched to block out a name. You can increase the size of the photos just by clicking on them.

Since this has been a tough year, I am only offering two prizes. The winner receives a bottle of Dom Perignon Champagne Vintage 2003. This will have to be collected here in Bangkok – or delivered to Pattaya or Chiang Mai when I am there. Alternatively, the winner may elect to receive Bt. 4,000 through their Thai bank account or in person in Bangkok. The second prize is a bottle of Moet & Chandon Brut Champagne or Bt. 1,000. The prizes can be collected any time during 2013.

The rules are simple.

1. Only one entry per member.

2. Each question has just one correct answer. When you answer a multiple-choice question, please only include the Question letter and the Answer number – not an explanation (providing explanations may give the game away to other entrants). There are no trick questions.

3. Each correct answer gains one point. So there is a total of 20 points available.

4. Entries must be made on this thread and be timed as having been posted on or before 11.00 pm on Saturday 15 December. I’m sorry but any entries posted after that date/time cannot be considered.

5. The prizes will be awarded to the two entries with the highest number of points. The winners will be announced on this thread within an hour or so of the closing deadline.

6. The reason for being so precise time-wise is because there can only be one outright winner for each prize. So, if there is a tie, no prizes will be awarded. Instead, there will be a first-past-the-post run-off for those with the most points. The run-off questions will be posted around 11:59 pm on Saturday 15 December. (The date/time are being announced now to give everyone in the run-off an equal chance). I hope all that’s clear.

7. The final decision in all matters re the Competition is mine!

QUESTION A

post-1892-0-72733700-1354407207_thumb.jpg

These decorations adorned the forecourt of which Bangkok building last Christmas?

1. Central World

2. Four Seasons Hotel

3. Peninsula Hotel

4. Q House Lumpini

5. Siam Paragon

QUESTION B

post-1892-0-22905200-1354407235_thumb.jpg

Volcanoes are two-a-penny around the world, but there are not many near-perfectly conical ones. Which is this?

1. Chile – Osorno Volcano

2. Italy – Mount Etna

3. Japan – Mount Fuji

4. New Zealand - Mount Taranaki

5. The Philippines - Mayon Volcano

QUESTION C

post-1892-0-53970800-1354407256_thumb.jpg

This opera theatre plays a role in a 1982 movie. Near which major waterway is it located? (There is a clue on the dome)

1. Panama Canal

2. River Amazon

3. River Danube

4. River Yangtse

5. Suez Canal

QUESTION D

post-1892-0-77571200-1354407277_thumb.jpg

This exact view is featured near the start of a movie which won several major awards earlier this year. What is the movie?

1. Albert Nobbs

2. Midnight in Paris

3. The Girl with the Golden Tattoo

4. The Iron Lady

5. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

QUESTION E

post-1892-0-28749700-1354407296_thumb.jpg

These ‘characters’ appear under an exterior sign on the wall of one of Bangkok’s gay friendly hotels. Which one?

1. Babylon

2. Malaysia

3. Om Yim Lodge

4. Pinnacle

5. Tarntawan Place

QUESTION F

post-1892-0-62692700-1354407325_thumb.jpg

No, it would be too easy to guess the location - St, Mark’s Square in Venice. Within the square there are two famous cafés founded in the 18th century. Their patrons have included such luminaries as Goethe, Dickens, Proust, Henry James, Wagner, Stravinsky, Modigliani and Woody Allen, to list just a few. Name the café whose frontage faces north.

QUESTION G

post-1892-0-45756100-1354407408_thumb.jpg

When the Disney musical “The Lion King” first opened, it played in this famous Broadway theatre. The theatre’s location is the name of another famous Broadway musical. What is this second musical’s title?

QUESTION H

post-1892-0-32321000-1354407436_thumb.jpg

This iconic building is located in which country?

1. Australia

2. Canada

3. Japan

4. Spain

5. USA

QUESTION I

Who am I?

* I became a product of the old Hollywood studio system.

* I have a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was featured on a US postage stamp.

* I ate healthy food and frequently used a medical term.

* I once showed my rhapsodic skills on the piano.

* My singing was not bad either, and I attempted both Rossini and Wagner operas.

QUESTION J

post-1892-0-72561000-1354407465_thumb.jpg

Where is this temple located?

1. Japan – Hokkiado

2. Japan - Honshu

3. Peru

4. South Korea

5. USA

QUESTION K

post-1892-0-85705100-1354407496_thumb.jpg

Over which country was I flying when I spotted the plane below?

1. Australia

2. China

3. Turkey

4. USA

5. Uzbekistan

QUESTION L

Scarlett Johannson, Tom Cruise, Justin Bieber and Nicole Kidman have one thing in common (apart from being famous and rich). What is it?

QUESTION M

post-1892-0-78944800-1354407533_thumb.jpg

This is the impressive dome in a famous department store. Where it is located?

1. London, Britain

2. Milan, Italy

3. Naples, Italy

4. Paris, France

5. Toronto, Canada

QUESTION N

post-1892-0-92243500-1354407570_thumb.jpg

This temple is located on the east side of a river. Where?

1. Bangkok

2. Chiang Mai

3. Chiang Rai

4. Luang Prabang

5. Ubon Ratchathani

QUESTION O

post-1892-0-74565100-1354407597_thumb.jpg

This is the only full-length painting in existence of an historical figure who has featured in many movies. In which European country will you find the painting?

1. Austria

2. Czech Republic

3. Hungary

4. Romania

5. Slovakia

QUESTION P

In the field of popular music, The Monkees in 1967 and The Beatles in 1969 achieved the distinction of topping both the US and UK charts twice in the same year. Who is the only other group/artist ever to have done so?

QUESTION Q

post-1892-0-03490200-1354407617_thumb.jpg

These very tall skyscrapers have one very specific thing in common (apart from their location). This is represented by a five-letter word that includes one ‘A’. What is the word?

QUESTION R

post-1892-0-53237300-1354407641_thumb.jpg

Where did I see this handsome guard looking at me?

1. Athens, Greece

2. Buenos Aires, Argentina

3. Paris, France

4. Rome, Italy

5. Santiago, Chile

QUESTION S

What well-known book includes this sentence in its first chapter –

“Ships from fifty-five nations had poured sailors into Manhattan to join the throngs, counted in the millions, who watched the greatest ever pyrotechnic extravaganza ever mounted, all for America’s 200th birthday party.”

– and ends its final chapter (prior to a short Epilogue) with this?

“Mr. Hudson is being evaluated and treated for complications of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.”

QUESTION T

post-1892-0-84499000-1354407719_thumb.jpg

I saw this unusual sign in which country?

1. Bhutan

2. India

3. Indonesia

4. Nepal

5. Sri Lanka

Good Luck!

Guest thaiworthy

Oh my God! This is a mighty big quiz, the granddaddy of them all. Granted, the prize is more than generous, but apart from guessing, it would take me at least two and a half days of hard research to give it my best attempt. Why so many questions? I appreciate all the effort you put into it, but it's just too much. I'll probably wait till the14th, close my eyes and hope for the best. However I usually play to win, and in this contest, I can't possibly win. I'll play, but therein lies the conundrum, a contest worthy only of a Fountainhall, and not this lowly dolt. :unsure:

I have to agree with Michael. Not good odds. Mine are about the same as his. :wacko:

Guest fountainhall

If you regard 25% bigger than last Christmas (16 questions), then I agree, with 20 questions it is of course bigger. But then last year there were absolutely no clues. This year, 13 have multiple-choice answers - and one has a specific clue. Given the complexity of questions that Khun Koko has posted over the last few months, I reckon the ones on this Quiz are generally less difficult - plus you have the chance to check on google and other sites for likely answers. But 2 1/2 days for research is way too much. If you can't get each of get the answers with a maximum of 10 minutes of checking, you're looking in the wrong places! Besides, it's just a fun little brain-teaser! Have a go! Wave your magic wand! Maybe you'll be lucky! (Perhaps I should have got you a new wand here in Petra ;) )

post-1892-0-29130100-1354424400_thumb.jpg

FH, I do have some questions. How does one enter their answers? Just post them or what? And the times and dates for final entry are in what time zone. Since many members live throughout the world that can make a difference.

By the way, Koko has not a clue on any question or photo; hope that helps Kuhn Worthy.

Guest fountainhall

Re answering questions, if you think the answer to Question A is the Peninsula Hotel (clue - it is not!), then simply put A-3, Question A - 3, A3 . . . Anything that is easily identifiable.

Time zone is Bangkok so that all can see the time of posting on the thread. I selected 11:00pm as the deadline and 11:59pm as the start of the run off (if there is to be one) as most people in Asia, Europe and North America are likely to be awake then. Sorry for our Australian friends as for them it will be very early in the morning, but the run-off will also require some research and I don't think the extra few hours will make a difference.

So I think you are in the position most of us found ourselves with your recent quiz questions :D ! Being serious, google will give you 10 answers quite quickly (if you ask it the right questions)! I know, because I checked before I finalised the wordings. And you should know at least one straight off - because it relates to a post you have made!!

OK - enough clues!

Remember, though, that an educated guess in the multiple choice questions may well be correct. And if there are only a few entries, even a couple of points may win the top prize!

Guest thaiworthy
By the way, Koko has not a clue on any question or photo; hope that helps Kuhn Worthy.

Kuhn Worthy needs all the help he can get! Maybe Koko and I can make this a collaborative project! I will gladly share the prize if we should win, I don't drink much anyway!

Guest fountainhall

Each member can research in any way he wishes. If two or more wish to collaborate, that's also fine - and each can submit entries. But the rules only permit one entry per member.

Guest fountainhall

Apologies to all! It's not just a typo; it's a mistake! It should indeed be "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", the movie from the Stieg Larsson novel of the same name. And for bringing this to my attention, I'll give you another clue - it's not the right answer to that question! :)

Guest fountainhall

Last year's Quiz was rather different in both format and the awarding of points. The 16 questions had a possible 24 points. No-one won the first prize. Kokopelli won second prize with 13 points. And it was very last minute. His entry was posted only 32 minutes before the deadline. Rogie won third prize. This year the first prize will be awarded even if the winner only has one point.

To ensure total fairness, answers must be posted on this thread. But you still have more than a week to get those 7 up to at least 14 ;)

I'll give everyone another little hint. Try not to think of some of the questions as one single piece of information that you have to find out. Think of them more as little jigsaw puzzles. Get one piece of information (sometimes the actual words I've used in the text contain clues or the photos can also contain clues). That will yield additional information. Research that and it will lead you to more and then more again, helping you zero in on the correct answer. I reckon a maximum of 5 need be total guesses.

Guest thaiworthy

Well I am making wonderful progress. There are only a few I have doubts about so I've hired a limo to drive me to all the wats in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Luang Prabang and Ubon Ratchathani. On the way, I'll be watching the movies Albert Nobbs, Midnight in Paris, The Iron Lady and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I hope I get a fast driver.

Guest fountainhall

With just over 5 days to go before the deadline, some encouragement perhaps for those working on their entries. This is the First Prize, already stored in ideal humidity and temperature in my wine cooler. Both Wine Advocate and Wine Spectator give the 2003 Vintage 94 marks out of 100. And both point out that whilst it is ready for drinking now, it will continue to mature and develop (stored in the right conditions) until about 2035 – by which time it will be worth a helluva lot more than it is now!!

post-1892-0-27515800-1355121721_thumb.jpg

Wine critic and writer Quentin Sadler also gives it a 94, describing the 2003 Vintage thus –

The aromas were astonishingly lifted and perfumed with fresh floral notes, lemon zest and lemon peel as well as richer tones of lemon curd and the flaky pastry that shows yeast autolysis as well as pine nuts, hinting at a creamy ripeness to come . . .

The palate was a revelation, this was not simply fresh and lively, indeed it was subtly the opposite, being textured and intense. The mouthfeel was silky with the merest hint of creamy ripeness, while the acidity was in a supporting role and never dominated. Rather wonderfully there was a twist of deep green olive bitterness to the wine’s finish . . .

It has ripe fruit in abundance, but nothing that overpowers or dominates as a single flavour and it has taut minerality – in short it has tension. The competing sensations vie with each other for your attention, which makes it fascinating to drink.

The finish was of epic proportions, I was still tasting it more than 2 minutes after I had drunk it. I would without doubt give it a gold medal in any wine competition I was judging

If you have never drunk true vintage champagne before and are used to the rather crude bubbly we get at the local supermarket, this wine will come as something of a revelation. But then of course whoever wins the prize has the option of cash in lieu – perhaps for a night of beer and boys. Whatever, that First Prize is waiting to be won! :p

I really don't think I can remain around until 2035 to try this bottle of Dom Perignon, I find the questions much to hard to even bother trying to enter the contest much less have a chance of winning. After all I did win Champagne last year so better if someone else more deserving has a chance this year.

post-9743-0-64290800-1355163662_thumb.jpg

Guest fountainhall

I sense some gamesmanship here. post-1892-0-66247100-1355196384.gif

Remember, you can always have the bottle buried with you and drink it in the hereafter. The humidity and temperature 6 feet underground will be near ideal :p

(Note to Scooby - please let us have some more up-to-date and interesting icons. The existing ones are verging on the b-o-r-i-n-g!)

Guest thaiworthy

If you're lying Koko and do plan to be here in 2035, I won't tell everybody how old you'll be, but only if you give me a sip of your champagne if you win. I believe that's called blackmail.

Oh what the heck, I'll spill the beans anyway. Kuhn Koko will be 65. There goes my champagne!

Guest fountainhall

Little more than 36 hours to the deadline. Don't leave your entry to the very last minute in case you find your internet connection is down - or there is such a flood of entries this site's bandwidth can't cope :crazy: . And remember, even if you're sure you don't know any answers and haven't the time to do any research, taking a guess from the multiple-choice answers may well gain you quite a number of points. If you have just a few moments for research, the answers to questions C, F, G, H, L and Q should come very quickly.

And since khun Koko has said will not be entering :rolleyes: everyone else has a better chance this year!

With language class, various holidays lately, and other things, I just haven't found the time. Sorry, won't even be venturing a guess. And Khun Kortose has been traveling and won't be around until early next week.

No loss.... I wouldn't have known more than one or two anyway. Good luck to whoever wins.

Guest fountainhall

With Bob and Kokopelli not entering (although Khun Koko's words may turn out to be a bit like the Emperor's clothes), it looks as though Khun thaiworthy who has done so much research travelling around Bangkok's gay establishments and driving all the way to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai etc. to check out temples :clapping: , may well be this year's dark horse.

Mind you, if no-one enters, then I'll not be in the slightest unhappy to drink all that champagne myself!