Guest Wynn90210

Street Trade in Bangkok

After showering, I didn’t switch off the TV (he was watching, waiting while I was showering), a big mistake! He was watching TV during all our interaction, I asked to switch it off, he replied something that I interpreted as “I just want to watch this to the end”. Catch-22: if I switch off the TV, he will not be happy, if I leave it on, it will attract all his attention. I left it on. Sex was so-so, will look for another boy next time. I think they have pegged me down as easy to please and softy/wimp (can’t even tell a prostitute to switch off the TV during sex!).

...... I told him that I don’t like him playing with a knife in my presence (to put it mildly, last time he pointed the knife at me in jest and asked for money). I hope he made the connection between me giving him 20 Baht he had asked for and not playing with his knife (on our two last encounters I didn’t give him money because he was playing with his knife). I should have told him as well that I like his T-shirt.

Not necessary softy /  wimp, quite possible he may consider you having "good heart", spread the news and your reward will come.

Years ago /2002 / I took boy short  time to my hotel / Niagara hotel in soi 9 of all places , sometimes I stay there for few days /.

After our convention he collected his tip and on leaving asked if he can watch football game Thailand-Vietnam in my room which I gladly agreed to just to share fun with no sin in mind at all.

After game not only he announced his desire to stay till morning because my 'good heart' he said,  but after night of  cuddling did not accept any money other than asking 100 baht for mototaxi.   

As for boy  with knife I wish I could say I admire your bravery but I can not. But since your are there one hopes you know what you are doing

We seem to have two camps here, those who say they've never had trouble and those that steer clear of the place for whatever reason, but mainly it seems because they don't want to risk it. I know when I see somebody use the dreaded AYOR acronym, it makes me think twice, and more likely than not to give it a miss. In between these two camps we have Christian. As we know because he's told us, he's had a problem with a guy with a knife. I think I would be right in saying instances of outright homophobia in which the real or imagined gay person is assaulted - akin to the quaint old term queer-bashing in Britain and other western countries - are rare in Thailand, at least Thais against a falung. I haven't been to Russia, but in addition to the government's attitude to gay rights, there was a recent news story where Russian homophobic thugs attacked youngsters, degraded them and posted pics on some social media outlet (see the Stephen Fry thread in the Beer Bar). If that kind of thing goes on then I wouldn't be surprised if physical assaults on people minding their own business get quite out of hand so that a Russian gay man will always be looking over his shoulder. The reason for going on at length here is I wonder if Thailand really is as safe as we like to think? Is Thailand full of homophobic thugs who, given the chance and encouragement (like in Russia) to legitimise their prejudice, would act on that? I guess the most likely answer to that is, no of course not. Large numbers of such Thai people don't exist. But you don't necessarily need that many. Taking a walk in a known pick-up place for MSM activity you only need two or three madmen to find yourself quickly surrounded, roughed-up or worse. Perhaps there is something to be said for there being lots of boys - for example, 30 as in the description in post #25. Indeed, the more the merrier for the seeker-after-action, from the point of view of choice, but also safety.

My conclusion: Beware of dimly-lit out-of-the-way places where there are only a handfull of individuals. There's safety in numbers. Or, instead of going on your own, go with another falung, or with a Thai well-known to you - specially important if you do not speak Thai. (Of course, what happens after you meet somebody and adjourn to another place is another matter. . . )

Guest snwbrdr015

Well said Rogie. I must admit I get more and more intrigued by Saranrom Park street trade. I like cruising for a fact, so Saranrom can be interesting for me.

I think the excitement of cruising makes the sex afterwards more rewarding. Surely one goes there AHOR, but tell me where that isn't the case!? If you go cruising that is.... Just put on your 'I'm-a-nice-guy-but-don't-you-mess-with-me' face and find the balance to be approachable but not to be walked over. The big plus is that you can see and talk to the boy without bar drinks, mamasan tips, off fees etc etc. That is very appealing to me. 

The downside is that my knowledge of the Thai language is as well as my Japanese: next to nothing. But hey, what do need afterall: sawadee khrab, chuck-wow, sa-moke, man, gay. Enough for an conversation right?

I think I made my mind up and go for a stroll during my next visit in october. Who's with me  :good: !?

We seem to have two camps here, those who say they've never had trouble and those that steer clear of the place for whatever reason, but mainly it seems because they don't want to risk it.

I've tried it once & thought the experience was vastly inferior to a gogo bat visit.

Cons:

Not many boys around, limited choice

Poor lighting

Boys over dressed (no speedos here)

Took some time to get there

Boy expected to go to some grim short time hotel, rather than the nicer one I was sleeping in

Pros:

Saved a few hundred baht

Sense of adventure, especially the taxi ride to the drive in short time hotel on the other side of the river

Done that once. Whilst in Bangkok, I'm quite happy to stick with Soi Duangthawee or the street trade around Silom. 

Finally, anyone who carried a knife would not get offed by me a second time.

Interesting how nobody seems to understand the boys are at equal risk here. Going with strangers to short time rooms and nobody knows who they are with.  I completely understand why they might carry a knife.

I don't understand at all.  I've never considered carrying  knife when going out with strangers & think it would be very bad behaviour to carry one for protection.  SE Asia is not like Kabul or Detroit.

Guest snwbrdr015

I Think z909 has a point. Knife = no-go. Good thing that you speak from your own experience (once). That's what I'm after too. So I know what I'm talking about. I'm afraid to miss out hehe! Surely I'll share my observations on this board. 

We all know Thai males are mercurial. A hypothetical scenario. For whatever reason, you've got up some guy's nose. He lashes out and you hit the deck. Next morning you have a lovely shiner to go with your bruised ego. Or, scenario take 2, he lashes out with a sharp implement, you hit the deck and wake up in the Bangkok Hilton (explanation: when the cops arrived the other guy said it was YOU that attacked HIM. As we are often told - and I'd like to think it's mostly untrue - when it's Thai versus falung guess whose word is believed?

One should attempt to judge the character of one's partner for the night. 

Following this strategy, I have usually been with very nice people.  Maybe one or two exceptions, but I have never seen anyone carrying a knife in my presence & certainly not in Thailand.

Top tip: Just don't associate with people who carry knives. Politely show him out & never speak to him again. 

Then as a recurrence prevention exercise, consider why you allowed him into your room in the first place.

ie Were there warning signs that you missed? 

Interesting how nobody seems to understand the boys are at equal risk here. Going with strangers to short time rooms and nobody knows who they are with.  

I completely understand why they might carry a knife.

You are correct, probably they are even at bigger risk if they decide to go after another trick the same night obviously carrying some money with they from the first assignment  but is one thing to carry concealed knife for protection and different one to use it against somebody to threaten him like it happened to Christian.

One should attempt to judge the character of one's partner for the night. 

Following this strategy, I have usually been with very nice people.  Maybe one or two exceptions, but I have never seen anyone carrying a knife in my presence & certainly not in Thailand.

Top tip: Just don't associate with people who carry knives. Politely show him out & never speak to him again. 

Then as a recurrence prevention exercise, consider why you allowed him into your room in the first place.

ie Were there warning signs that you missed?

So we should search every boy we are with because that is the only way we would know if they have a knife. And of course nobody is going to do that.  I have the distinct impression that Christian writes these thing just to hear himself write and that if the boy showed him a knife it was in good fun and not meant to be taken as a threat.

At any rate I have no idea what boys have in their pockets and I am not the least bit worried about it!!!