Guest Wynn90210

Street Trade in Bangkok

Guest Wynn90210

I have friends that tell me that picking up guys from the street is perfectly safe in Bangkok. Is this accurate? Are there differences between the expectation of prices and services offered?

there is not hing as 100% perfect safe. And as always-it depends. There are a few-well known- streets/small areas where MBs offer their servcies- see those threads above. Standard asking is (still-since at least 15 years) 500 bt+ further expense for taxi and shorttime hotel.

Note that in suburban BKK are also dozens of nice massagehouses also offering massage from a male-only staff -plus more, for fixed prices (about 4/500 /hr) +tip- out there most of these places also have a 500 bt min. tip. If you are obsessed with safety-better go there.

For the 2: learn the speak this lovely llocal language.

I think Thai street trade should be safer than that in most other countries. With some care you should be ok. Also just remember not every city has the fine gogo bars that are in Bangkok. You should try that at least once.

I have been to Saranrom Park many times and occasionally picked up a boy there, and I feel completely safe. Throughout a price of 500 is quoted, plus taxi money for return (when you go to your hotel). Speaking Thai is useful, but you can get along with English (often the boys are in groups and one of them can translate). You have to be careful, some are underage. Many of them are straight and only do short time.

In my opinion, a good alternative to the bars.

Guest thaiworthy

I have been to Saranrom Park many times and occasionally picked up a boy there, and I feel completely safe. Throughout a price of 500 is quoted, plus taxi money for return (when you go to your hotel).

Several posters have quoted tip prices at 500 baht. This seems awfully low to me and I am a bit surprised. I wouldn't tip a mere 500 baht as a tip in a massage place, and short time from a bar in Bangkok is around 1500, so why is street trade so much less? But that's not what's really worrying me.

Apart from being extremely dangerous (at least to me, since a complete stranger) what is the factor that determines such a low payment? Are we talking about a quickie in the bushes or a hand job in the toilet? Is there some perceived discount or trade-off by displacing the message or bar in the transaction? I certainly wouldn't want to bring one of these fellows home with me. That leaves a shabby, short-time hotel. Is there some thrill or excitement over doing something dangerous? Does the adrenaline enhance sex?

All things considered, if you ask me, it isn't worth the risk at any price. I just don't get why anyone would want to do this with a stranger and is a bit like asking for trouble. Please understand, I'm not making judgements about anyone, I just want to know why. Why bother when there are so many alternatives?

Completely safe? Are you kidding me? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Khun TW, I have picked up a great deal of guys from this area over the years and never had a problem. Some of the guys are military and some are students but all of them did not want to work in the gay bars. They rarely get farang customers and the Thai customers pay 500 baht.

I also pick up guys from the street in Sao Paulo and this is not smart but I have never felt unsafe in this area of Bangkok.

It is to each his own but anyone that does not feel safe, should not do this.

As for the 500 baht, that is what they ask for. One can tip above that amount. And, IMHO, they should. I know many guys that live in Pattaya that will pay this same amount to guys they meet and tell them that is what they pay and they can take that or not go with them.

I don't think that the guys in the area in Bangkok that work this park area will ever turn down more than 500 baht. :)

This is Thai 4 Thai, and by Thai standards 500 Baht is a lot of money (if the alternative is to work 10 hours a day for 300 Baht). This is what they ask for (I don't know if this is a fixed price or a base for a negotiation, as 500 Baht is fine for me I always paid 500 Baht plus money for taxi).

Before I take anyone, I have short chat (mainly in Thai) and check their ID for age to see if everything is fine. Then we go back to my hotel (I don't like toilet or outdoor in the dark or short-time hotel sex), where we do everything I would do with a boy from a bar.

Is there some thrill or excitement over doing something dangerous? Does the adrenaline enhance sex?

Not at all. It's just a balancing of advantages and disadvantages as follows:

The only disadvantage is that you can't see if they have tattoos (and most of them have). But this is compensated many times: no drinks, no mamasans, no off fee, no loud music, no flashing lights, no shows, and it costs a fraction of what you would pay in a bar.

I could even claim that this is the real Thailand, whereas Soi Twilight is set up for tourists.

However if you enjoy drinking in a bar and watching a show and being pestered for drinks by a mamasan and listening to deafening music, then Soi Twilight is for you.

(My opinion is based on about 10-15 visits and taking home 3 boys, as far as I remember.)

Guest thaiworthy

(My opinion is based on about 10-15 visits and taking home 3 boys, as far as I remember.)

You raise some good points which I hadn't considered, realistically-- but this sentence bothers me. Perhaps I'm not reading it right. If you have to make 10 to 15 visits to score only 3 times, that means there is a lot more miss than hit. Not sure I'd invest that much energy standing around with nothing to happen. If you're on holiday, time is valuable. Is there one hot spot where they all congregate and you just drive by if no one's there?

You might be able to tell that I've never done this before. This just looks less and less appealing to me. But I guess I shouldn't knock it till I've tried it, eh?

Not sure I'd invest that much energy standing around with nothing to happen. If you're on holiday, time is valuable. Is there one hot spot where they all congregate and you just drive by if no one's there?

I've tried this once. Found a guy, went off in a taxi to some drive in short time hotel on the other side of the river. I will not be in a hurry to try this again. For my short visits to Bangkok, I prefer the high quality gogo bar experience to looking for scraps in the park. Of course, if I lived in the city, there would be more time to experiment.

Well, do you take a boy off in EVERY gogo bar you visit? I don't. I went to about 20 bars in the last 2 weeks and only took off 4 boys. My odds are not good either I guess. :)

When you are horny and looking, you find. When you are just looking, you tend to be more discrete. :)

I have been to the park many times and taken guys many times but not every time for sure. Sometimes I just like to see what is there and walk around. The same is true for me in a gogo bar. Hell, I would be exhausted if I took off one boy from every bar I visited. But, I don't have the stamina that TW has. :)

Well, do you take a boy off in EVERY gogo bar you visit? I don't. I went to about 20 bars in the last 2 weeks and only took off 4 boys. My odds are not good either I guess. :)

I guess you probably know some other boys, so aren't always that motivated to off someone?

As for comparing bars with cruising, when the first gogo bar doesn't have any suitable boys, it often only takes a few seconds to walk to the next gogo bar. If Sanrom park doesn't have any suitable boys, it's a long bus or taxi ride to go anywhere else.

I guess you probably know some other boys, so aren't always that motivated to off someone?

As for comparing bars with cruising, when the first gogo bar doesn't have any suitable boys, it often only takes a few seconds to walk to the next gogo bar. If Sanrom park doesn't have any suitable boys, it's a long bus or taxi ride to go anywhere else.

I agree with you Sir. However, many times I am there, if you don't find a boy on your first walk around, if you keep walking around the area, you may find new ones on the next walk around. IMHO, much the same as going from one gogo bar to the next.

I agree with you that it may not be easy for everyone to get there and therefore inconvenient to some. But, I enjoy it and go there occasionally. I also enjoy the gogo bars in Bangkok on Soi Twilight but I can't think of the last boy I offed from there. If I want a "sure thing" I will often go to Hero as I know I will get exactly want I want and was looking for.

A lot is about the "hunt" and some enjoy this more than others.

I had a great story on this board about my first trip to the park in a hotel limousine. LOL I didn't know much back then and it was pretty comical getting the driver to talk and negotiate the boys for me. I'll try to find it.

Guest thaiworthy
A lot is about the "hunt" and some enjoy this more than others.

THE HUNT: Michael's Big Time Shooting Gallery at Saranrom Park:

Skill Level: Easy

Objective in Game: Pick up as many guys as possible.

Thai Military Guy: Yellow Duck

Gorgeous Military Guy: Bullseye

Thai Student: Yellow Duck with Sunglasses

Ladyboy: Red Duck with Eyelashes

Tin Can: Bodybuilder

Bottle: Married Thai Guy with 5 kids to support and sick water buffalo

Score with each hit is how many baht you have to pay.

Insert 10 baht. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbnsWxhfHUY

I had a great story on this board about my first trip to the park in a hotel limousine.

I took the bus on my first trip there, then got a taxi after finding a boy (even Christian doesn't go there by bus, right?).

However, I bet your story is more interesting, what year would that have been posted?

I went there by bus several times, but usually go by taxi.

Let's say I score one out of five visits to Saranrom (I am quite picky). In Bars I score about one out of 3 or 4 visits, and I have to buy a drink in each bar!

Is there one hot spot where they all congregate and you just drive by if no one's there?

It is quite stretched out. It takes me about 30 minutes for one tour, most people drive around in a taxi or their own car slowly and wait for the boys to come to the window.

Newer developments at Saranrom Park (details of my previous visits are posted on gaybuttonthai and SGT under "Plenty of Boys at Saranrom Park")

After the attack I have been back twice, without taking a boy. On the night of the attack, I felt a bit hungry and popped into City Walk (a gay restaurant/bar/karaoke on Atsadang road) and had dinner there. One waiter (the cutest one) was very attentive, which was the reason why I stayed until closing time (1am), to have a chat with him after work. I asked him (twice, separated by some small talk) what he does after work “I go home sleep”. He says he is not gay, but man, but that simply means he is top, not straight. I prefer to have sex on first meeting, but can wait, and I know where he works, so I promised to come back. (Then, after the bar closed, I went on another tour around the park, where I encountered the non-available very cute boy and finally was attacked.)

The cute waiter looks like a friend in England who is originally from Uzbekistan (of all places!). Quiz: What do Uzbekistan and Liechtenstein have in common? Another Quiz: What do the USA, Liberia and Burma/Birma/Myanmar have in common?

Two weeks later (I had to let the disturbance from the attack settle), I was back looking for boys. A boy I had twice, but who turned out to be a dud in bed, was there and showed me a machete of about 30 cm lengths he was carrying. He then asked me for money and threatened me in jest with this machete, however I don’t find this funny and I don’t want any weapons in my room (or short time hotel room). The very cute boy who is not available was on his regular spot, and before he drove away on his mocy he picked up a knife about 20 cm that was hidden in the bushes (and stuck it in his trousers without sheath). That knife was not for cutting vegetables! The first time I witnessed knives at Saranrom. (That fits what I saw on the video about Saronrom on youtube (thanks to latintopxxx who brought it to my attention on SGT):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKVg-s_bg_A

(remark: The numbers in the video seem grossly inflated. I did not see any activity near the bridge near the fort when I drove past in a taxi.)

No boy to my taste, I have dinner at City Walk. The cute waiter is there again, very attentive, he goes over the line of duty to make me feel comfortable. I hope next time we can exchange phone numbers. From his working times, I conclude the only time we can meet (out of work) is on a weekend afternoon. There is even a place I want to go for sightseeing close to where he lives (Ladprao).

Another two weeks later (my second trip after the attack), again no boy to my taste but the boy whom I had twice asks for money and threatens me in jest with a knife (about 10 cm blade), this is no basis for further business! I have dinner in City Walk, my favorite waiter is not in that day. Two other waiters chat with me, one asks where I live and after I write down my address in Thai he reveals that he is Vietnamese and can’t read Thai! Both finally start begging for a tip, but sorry, I don’t like such behavior so I leave without tip.

Same location, but now in daytime and different boy:

Begin of July, on a weekend, I was in the area during day so I had a walk in Saranrom park (at night it’s closed an all activity is outside around the park). There is an open air fitness area with some shirtless boys were working out, so I had a look. One was cute and at smiled at me, so I sat down on a bench (with table) and did some reading (to wait for him to finish working out or passing). Every time our views met, we would smile at each other. Then finally he walked past me, so I said hello and a conversation ensued, with exchange of phone numbers and intent of meeting again.

A week later, on a weekday, we meet at Wongwian Yai BTS station (close to his place) at night (8:30). He is not out to his family, still lives with his family (he is 26) and he had to hide the fact that he went out to meet me from his family. I was looking forward to meet the 22 (!) cats they have in their house. Actually, that was a bigger incentive for this meeting than the prospect of having sex. We went to have dinner together (noodle soup). He does not mind long walking and wanted to pay his own meal, I had to insist on paying for both of us. We then separated and I went to Super A (see separate topic about the boy I met there).

End of July, he called again. I was in Germany, so I did not pick up (don’t know what rooming rates they charge me and him), but sent a message. Yesterday (07.08.2013), he called again, I missed the call. I will call back soon. I wonder how to proceed. Any suggestions? I am more into twinks, not so much into hunks. I don’t remember ever having good sex with someone with a BMI over 20 (body mass index, (mass in kg)/ ((hight in meter)^2)).

This the first time I met a gay man by chance outside gay areas or internet. If I wanted to, we surely would find a place and time to have sex, so this is formally my first hook-up out of gay areas or internet.

Jump to August and back to night time.

01.08.2013 Slow business (due to rain?), but I find a boy.

08.08.2013 Brisk business. The peak seems to be 10 pm to midnight. There were several cars with dark windows, standing for longer than it takes to negotiate a deal, I wonder what was going on in there. Blowjobs? There were two boys I could have taken, but I was a bit hungry so I went to City Walk for dinner (more precisely, I had only a small dinner at home in order to go to City Walk for full dinner in order to meet the cute waiter again). My favorite waiter was not there (again), so I inquired: he left and now works in Ratchada. I left my phone number with another waiter to forward it. Now the Vietnamese boy is on top of my list, he often smiled at me, this time I tipped him 20 Baht to pave the way for further interaction. This dinner is one of the few cases where I overfed, and the two boys I could have taken are gone on my round after dinner, so I go home.

This is a nice way to spend a night: I take bus or taxi to Sanam Luang, then stroll along the night market (open from (don’t know) to at least 1 am), great for people watching. Then around Saranrom looking for boys, and at the same time some culture (palace and Wat Pho from outside for free), if I find a boy go to short time hotel, if not have dinner and/or stroll the market again. So much entertainment for so little money!

Guest fountainhall

Interesting vdo. Like Christian I am amazed at the income the boys say they make and the number of customers per night. One guy says "up to 10" and another says the average is "4 to 5". If the average rate is Bt. 500 and they are getting 4 customers a night, then a monthly income of Bt. 50,000 to Bt. 60,000 is certainly possible. But how many actually earn these sums, I wonder? Surely the boys in the bars are mostly averaging a lot less than that?

Christian's comments about knives are also echoed in the vdo. Any trip over there sounds definitely AYOR.

I have taken a few street guys over the years - I met them outside Family mart next t soi twilight, or on the steps f the bank.  One guy told me that he had a big cock and insisted we go across the street to the toilet in the car park so he could show me. We went straight back to my hotel...hehe.

I think it is safe to take them back to your own hotel, but I wouldn't go to a short-time place with them.

Overall, I prefer gogo boys.  I just think it is safer. And I would NEVER go cruising in a park late at night - or any time at night for that matter.  That is just asking for trouble.

I have taken a few street guys over the years - I met them outside Family mart next t soi twilight, or on the steps f the bank.  One guy told me that he had a big cock and insisted we go across the street to the toilet in the car park so he could show me. We went straight back to my hotel...hehe.

I think it is safe to take them back to your own hotel, but I wouldn't go to a short-time place with them.

Overall, I prefer gogo boys.  I just think it is safer. And I would NEVER go cruising in a park late at night - or any time at night for that matter.  That is just asking for trouble.

After reading about knives and machete in Christian's post I abandoned any desire to inspect Saronom Park at night , I'd rather pay extortionate off fees and drinks at Soi Twilight. Still tempted to see area during day, one never knows what may happen.

Used street trade from Rama IV and Suriwong  few times in the past but only for body contact and mutual wank only and took them  to  short time rooms at Suriwongse, somehow didn't feel like inviting them to my hotel room.

My preference are massage boys , then go-go. MB only if I need some adrenaline boost.

"Still tempted to see area during day, one never knows what may happen."

There is zero street trade activity during day, but there is a lot of culture.

One guy says "up to 10" and another says the average is "4 to 5". If the average rate is Bt. 500 and they are getting 4 customers a night, then a monthly income of Bt. 50,000 to Bt. 60,000 is certainly possible.

Grossly inflated, in my opinion, or I am missing something. I estimate they get one off per night on average, will inquire next time. If these numbers were true, they would be there every night and stop their day-time job. There are some boys who are there almost every night I go, but most boys are there irrgularly (or I just miss them because they are with a customer).

I went again yesterday, just when I arrived 23:35 it started to rain, barely made it to City Walk (was not on my list) before it poured down heavily. I thought the rain would have killed all activity, but I was wrong. After dinner (not planned, but had to fill the time) I went out again 00:20 and there was brisk trade, decreasing to 1:30 when I left (after taking a boy to a short time hotel).

Saranrom 28.08.2013

Haven’t been to Saranrom for a while. Even if I don’t find a boy, the market east of Sanam Luang is very interesting.

No rain at night, end of the month, so I expected many boys. There were only about 30, and I didn’t see many customers. Slow business this night (contrary to other nights).

I spent about 22:30 to 00:30 around Saranrom (interrupted by taking a boy to the short time hotel). I saw him there before. I had to ask if he wants to go with me (most boys ask me if they can go with me). That might be a bad sign, but whom else is he waiting for there? A 20 year old beautiful Thai girl?

I ask “How much?” – “500 Baht”. People might disagree that this is a fair price, but if you disagree that this is the going rate, then I invite you to join me and prove me wrong. We walked to the hotel, about 10 minutes, he was not very talkative. So far, I only thought that if a boy doesn’t want to walk (he asked if we can go by taxi), this shines a bad light on him; but now it occurred to me that the opposite might be true as well.

After showering, I didn’t switch off the TV (he was watching, waiting while I was showering), a big mistake! He was watching TV during all our interaction, I asked to switch it off, he replied something that I interpreted as “I just want to watch this to the end”. Catch-22: if I switch off the TV, he will not be happy, if I leave it on, it will attract all his attention. I left it on. Sex was so-so, will look for another boy next time. I think they have pegged me down as easy to please and softy/wimp (can’t even tell a prostitute to switch off the TV during sex!).

After that, I had another round and saw two more cute boys. Got their phone numbers, previous visits have shown that cute boys I see might not be back on my next trip (or any other following trips). The boy whom I had twice (despite him being a dud in bed) was there as well, I told him that I don’t like him playing with a knife in my presence (to put it mildly, last time he pointed the knife at me in jest and asked for money). I hope he made the connection between me giving him 20 Baht he had asked for and not playing with his knife (on our two last encounters I didn’t give him money because he was playing with his knife). I should have told him as well that I like his T-shirt.