Mysteryman

Currencies

I think Euro/Baht was something like 45-47 in 2006. In the following years it was at least that, and even more some years. I remember it was just under 50, could've been 2008 maybe. But last year it went down to 41. These figures are from the end of the years, October to December. What is the going rate now, if you change in the street?

I have never focused on any other currencies. We have problem with the euro, thanks to Greece, so that is one reason for the bad rate. How is the rate for US dollar/Baht, and Pound/Baht and other currencies compared to years gone by? Has it gone down with almost 20 percent, as it has with euros? Or could it be that Thai baht has gotten stronger than before? Then it would be lower rates for other currencies also.

There are some fine Asian investments around, such as the Aberdeen Asian Smaller Companies Investment trust.

Investing here can reduce your risks from a falling $, € or £. I am not sure righ now is the time to put a lump sum in, but regular monthly investments could be an idea.

Guest fountainhall

The present cash buying rates from the Bangkok Bank are roughly –

€1 = Bt. 39.58

£1 = 48.64

US$1 = 30.24 (for bills of $50 or higher)

You get a better rate if you send a telegraphic transfer to a Thai bank account, but the TT charges are quite expensive. There are also some exchange booths in BKK which offer better rates than the main banks.

Like kokopelli, I use the xe currency conversion charts as a guide for comparisons and when assessing business contracts in different currencies. It’s easy to see that in the last 10 years, the Baht has been quite volatile against the Euro – swinging from around Bt. 45 to a high of Bt. 55 and lows of Bt. 40. Compare that to the US dollar and it’s a very different picture. The fall from a high of Bt. 43 to its present rate of around Bt. 31 has been pretty smooth, apart from a 2-year period between 2008 and 2010 when it blipped up to nearly Bt. 36.

The path of sterling has been more similar to the US$, dropping from highs of Bt75 of so around 2005 down to its present rate of near Bt.49.

In considering these drops, it’s important to remember that after the Thai economy crashed in July 1997 starting off the Asian economic crisis, the Baht plunged over 50% in value. The increase in its value over the last 10 years is part of the clawback to its earlier position when for some years it had been pegged to the US$ at $1 = Bt. 25.

There has been much talk in the media about the Bank of Thailand intervening to keep rates steady in recent months. What will happen in the future – I have zero idea!

I see Super Rich still has the best exchange deals. For those who do not know it, there is a kiosk

http://www.superrich...om/location.php

Yes, this something I have noticed too, that you get "much" better rates at small booths that has nothing to do with any bank. Are they private maybe? I have never exchanged in any other places than the small shop on second street opposite Dream House hotel, Super-T I think the name is. There you have been able to get up to 0.50 better rates, than in them "official booths" In the end not so big difference, but you get a couple of "free" meals during a month :good: .

Looking at the charts, it seems like you get less bahts today for every currency. Then it means Thai-baht is stronger than before, so the problem we have with Euro is not the only reason.

Guest thaiworthy

Michael, I like that guy with "Track" on his T-shirt. Every time you show me his picture I want to go to Rio. He drives me CrAzY!

If you cannot exchange REAL here in Thailand for baht, can you do it the other way around? Change Thai baht into REAL?

That's what I call a REAL man. Really! :wub:

He looks like a bad boy who loves to have fun.

Oh BTW kind sir . . . any more pictures of him? I already have a few and I am starting a scrapbook. :air_kiss:

Michael, I like that guy with "Track" on his T-shirt. Every time you show me his picture I want to go to Rio. He drives me CrAzY!

If you cannot exchange REAL here in Thailand for baht, can you do it the other way around? Change Thai baht into REAL?

That's what I call a REAL man. Really! :wub:

He looks like a bad boy who loves to have fun.

Oh BTW kind sir . . . any more pictures of him? I already have a few and I am starting a scrapbook. :air_kiss:

hehe. He is an amazing young man. I have a few thousand photos of him over the years. I'll try to send you some on here. :)

I have always been able to exchange Thai baht into Brazilian currency. Never a problem. I am not sure why it isn't the reverse.