TotallyOz

Coffee Society Restaurant in Gay Bangkok

Coffee Society

Coffee Society is Thailand's most gay-friendly coffee shop & café in the heart of Bangkok on Silom, open 24 hours a day with free WiFi, and just a very short walk from the Saladaeng BTS Sky Train station.

The clientele range from local Thais to tourists from around the world and expats working in Thailand—and many people come from outside the Silom area to enjoy the surroundings of Coffee Society.

With Silom Soi 2 (home of DJ Station) and 4 (Balcony, Telephone Bar, Bearbie, Sphinx) nearby, Coffee Society is very popular with the local and international gay community who are very welcome.

12/3 Silom Road | Suriyawong, Bangrak, Bangkok, Thailand

http://www.facebook.com/CoffeeSociety

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3xS8kUNtqM

Guest thaiworthy

I haven't been to Coffee Society, but will give it a go. Unfortunately, the video does nothing to inspire me. At 20 minutes, it is a bit much with AIDS activist Nicholas Snow's mug in a close-up shot every 5 seconds. This infomercial has to be a first for gaythailand.com

Guest fountainhall

Coffee Society used to be one of the most popular gay hangouts. It was great for window shopping. With bar stools along the window, customers could easily see those passing-by, and those passing-by could easily see those at the window! Unfortunately, to cater for smokers, the owners opened up most of the space between the pavement and the serving counter, so the window is now set back several meters. Not nearly so good for being seen!

From my few visits, farang tend to sit at the 6 - 8 outdoor tables or inside at ground level (where there are just the window seats and two booths seating 4 each). Thais are more likely to go to the small booths that make up the 1st floor or the large open-space 2nd floor. Many seem to be students doing work on their laptops or checking their tablets. But whenever I have been recently, there have not been many customers - perhaps because the prices are not cheap. It's also a bit run down now and could do with a make-over.

Coffee Society serves alcoholic drinks as well as the usual coffees, teas and soft drinks. The menu includes snacks and some more substantial dishes. 

Guest Jovianmoon

I like Coffee Society's breakfasts. I don't really go there to hang out, but when staying at a nearby hotel which has awful breakfasts (and which shall remain nameless), I think Coffee Society is a good choice for food.

Guest Tomas1576

I have always enjoyed my stays at CS, but when I last visited, in June, it was almost empty and in desperate need for a full reduce, especially outdoors.

I've just gone to the Face Book page linked in the OP and it looks pretty dead, but maybe it's just me as I don't use FB. I agree with the comment in post #2, I wouldn't be interested in watching a video lasting 20m. That shot of the guy spooning foam to me holds out little prospect of a truly fulfilling video, more so as he's wearing a thumbring, a really dumb thing to do IMO.

Coffee Society may not have the polished ambiance of, say, a Starbucks - but I'd rather patronize them more often than I would an 800 pound gorilla like SBs. I readily agree that's just a personal preference.though.

I've always found Coffee Society a nice spot for casual people watching. A story about a couple (and their PDAs) above the place at the Sala Daeng BTS station is here:

http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/2013/04/hello-young-lovers-pdf-at-bts.html

I hadn't noticed they were any more expensive than other shops, but I may have missed that.