bkkguy

spam advertorials

Guest Jovianmoon

how much of this spam do we have to put up with in the forums - I thought this was what the city guide was for?

bkkguy

I think you're being a bit harsh there, bkkguy. I may be wrong but I imagine that the threads initiated by Scooby to promote venues earn some revenue to help keep the site going. Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. I guess it's personal preference as to how intrusive you find it and fair enough I suppose, but I also think that sometimes interesting and useful posts follow those little venue plugs. 

Guest jomtien

how much of this spam do we have to put up with in the forums - I thought this was what the city guide was for?

bkkguy

Well golly, you don't have to put up with any of it. Did someone twist your arm to read it?

Well golly, you don't have to put up with any of it. Did someone twist your arm to read it?

ah yes the typical Bangkok Post falung letters to the editor response - this fourm (or country) is so perfect it is beyond criticism, if you don't like it then it is your problem so go home or go somewhere else but we never want to consider that some of the things we do here may actually drive people away

but few new forum visitors actually bother to complain (not surprising given this type of response) but then there is all this navel gazing here about why new visitors don't post interesting new threads - if the only way to get responses about venues from the insider clique or anyone else here  is to post advertorials then there is perhaps a significant problem - yes I can "fix" the problem here by creating my own forum or going away and never reading any messages here again but is this the best that Scoobie, or the other forum participants, are aiming for?

bkkguy

bkkguy, I am not sure what problem you have with this. Many readers and many visitors to Thailand want to know what places to go and which ones to visit. You may be the most knowledgeable person on earth, know more about Thailand than anyone in Thailand but I am not and I am glad to get to know some places that I have not visited yet that are in a gay area or are gay friendly. And, if you do know all about these places, why not post your experiences or reviews?

As you say they are advertisements, I disagree. I think they are lists to point people in the right direction. The site is not compensated for the listings. They are free and they are a way to help gay owned or operated or gay friendly businesses to get more business. What is wrong with that?

As the honorable Jomtien said, if you don't like them, why read them? Skip over them if you don't like them. It is pretty easy to me.

We are bringing our City Guides area up to date. Several regular posters have contributed to the articles being updated recently.  Please click the top menu button City Guide to see this.  

My posts in the forum are informational posts and not a revenue making scenario.  I will be adding some of these to the site regularly until all cities we have listed have up to date business listings.  If you do not like my posts, feel free to ignore them as I will continue to update all cities.  

Thank you for participating in the site. 

Well currently the so called "advertorials" and the member initiated threads can still all be viewed on one page.

It's very easy to scan down those decide what you want to read & what you don't.  So I don't see any problem at all.  

There are self contained threads which can be read or ignored. 

Much better than (for example) members taking an existing thread off topic.

Guest thaiworthy

Good idea to (cat)nip these catty comments in the bud.

17 advertorials so far!

I want more! Also more of step 3 for me please, Rogie.

Regardless, just 17 simply won't do!

Spam advertorials forever! Hurry, the apocalypse is coming! You better learn to like it!

Guest Echmoth

I had decided to stay out of this one, but with the lastest crop of posts, which seem mainly to be cut and pastes from the various bar's websites, where do we go now?

Shall I cut and paste from every bar's website in Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Phuket to even things up?

SURELY these belong on the city guides and not blogging up the front page of the forum ....

Guest fountainhall

As I said elsewhere, it seem to be that these types of ad comments appear here first for a short time to allow members to make comments. They are then bunged over to the city guides section. If that's not the case, perhaps Scooby can inform us how long they stay here.

I don't particularly like them either but I find it rather easy to ignore them. Not that big a deal.

What's puzzling to me is that one would think that who'd complain about it (presuming it needs complaining) would be people who are regularly involved here. I don't see a problem with a couple posters who aren't regularly involved here complaining about it but it seems puzzling to me as to why they particularly care enough to do so.

I don't particularly like them either but I find it rather easy to ignore them. Not that big a deal.

I agree on both points.

Also:

Perhaps some threads might get bumped off the first page and miss out on some valuable input from occasional visitors -so a disadvantage of "advatorials".

However we also sometimes get the benefit of valuable comments that other members may add about a business.

If I were not a regular poster and reader of this forum I would be turned off by these advertorials; to me they are a needless nuisance. If they were posted in a separate sub-forum then I could see their value.

The old ones were in another forum here for years. The one on Adonis Men's Club was posted in 2010. It now has over 14,000 views but no replies other than the one by Scooby yesterday. The majority of views come from the City Guide areas on the site. I think the point of putting them in this forum was to get more input. As it didn't work for over 2 years, it seems that trying something different may not be a bad idea.

I don't mind them at all. On the First Page of this forum, not even half the posts were these listings. IMHO, they are valuable. But, I like to learn about new places I don't know about and to hear what others think of the places I have been to or heard about. KoKo and others may know every place and not need more information. I, on the other hand, always need to stimulate my 94 IQ. :)

Guest abang1961

As an infrequent visitor to Thailand (less than 6 trips annually), I find these advertorials quite informative.

I didn't know there are still so many places to see..drink..mingle around.

What members can do is to post either positive/constructive or negative/not destructive comments to tell new visitors why they like or dislike a particular establishment.   For those who find them burdensome, you may want to skip it altogether.  Be tolerant or in Thai, mai pen rai.

A Thai word for today:

thailand.jpg

Mai Pen Rai (means Never mind)

Mai pen rai – pronounced “My pin rye” — is a famous Thai expression. You will hear it many times before you get out of Thailand, often when something goes wrong or someone loses their cool.

Mai pen rai sums up life in Thailand and the attitude there in general.  This famous attitude is what allowed the Thais to keep their cool and get back on their feet after the devastating losses of the Boxer Day tsunami. 

There are lots of different opinions on the direct translation, but mai pen ray literally means “no worries” or “it’s nothing.” The expression can also be used as “your welcome” after someone says “thanks.” 

My remonstrance to the advertorials is that they come in waves almost tsunami like. Kind like a certain gay forum where every other post has to do with the Israeli-Palestine-Jewish-Arab conflict. Or like that previous flood of photos of ladyboys   I suppose since they are primarily Bangkok-centric they hold little interest to me although I did check some out and did enjoy the photos of the "facilities". Thus I will try to be more tolerant and accept them for what they are worth. :bow:

Guest thaiworthy

I suppose since they are primarily Bangkok-centric they hold little interest to me . . . :bow:

It is for precisely this reason that I like them. I want to know about the Bangkok venues. But you have to start someplace. I do not think this means that Pattaya will be excluded at all. Pattaya already gets its share of advertorials on the other boards, so personally I do thank Scooby for his introduction of Bangkok first. :bow: :bow: