Guest fountainhall

Pope To Resign

I love a Latin Mass!

What a sick puppy!  I only have had to endure a few thousand of them (maybe more - at least 6 times a week in grade school and 7 times a week in high school). One of the most boring things in the world, especially if you've seen the show before.  Somewhat like watching a television show you didn't like in the first place and then being compelled to watch it again a few thousand times.

After high school, I did experience the Mass in English a few times.....such as at funerals and weddings.  Still "naa bua maak maak!"  (that's Thai, not latin).

With respect to Latin (I had four years of that in high school), I, like Fountainhill, have forgotten most of it.  Back then, my knowledge of Latin was occasionally valuable to help me figure out the meaning of an English word that was based on Latin (although sometimes the English version was a total corruption of the meaning in Latin).  The word "ambulance" comes from the root latin word "ambulare" which means "to walk."  That information, of course, is pretty much irrelevant to the world which pretty much reminds me of both Latin and the Latin Mass. 

And, as Fountainhill notes, we still have a lot of terms especially in the law that are either Latin or slightly-corrupted Latin.  Habeas corpus (have the body), res ipsa loquitur (the thing speaks for itself), subpoena duces tecum, and hundreds of others I'm still trying to forget. 

Sounds like Khun Thaiworthy has a bumpersticker on his car that reads:  Sona si Latine loquieris.

Guest fountainhall

It's all about comfort. And that's about all it is, unfortunately

I can certainly empathise with that. But when it came to all those Latin masses, did you study Latin? Did you know what the prayers, sermons and responses meant - or was it more just the drama of the occasion itself? I have one friend who converted to Catholicism just because of that drama!

I have been in hundreds of religious buildings, from tiny country churches to great Cathedrals and splendiferous mosques. In each I have felt something more than just a sense of wonder at the architecture or the decoration. But when it comes to the services, for me nothing is added. They remain just fine buildings.

Guest thaiworthy

Sounds like Khun Thaiworthy has a bumpersticker on his car that reads:  Sona si Latine loquieris.

Hey, I didn't say I liked it then, I just like it now, especially when you have an 83-yr-old mother dragging you by the ear, kicking and screaming to Church every Sunday when I come back to the USA for a visit! It might as well be someplace where I can get a little shuteye. If it's Latin, I can turn my brain off, sort of like you when you read my posts!  :lol:

Don't force me to start posting sick puppy pictures, too! And as for the bumper sticker, like you, I don't drive a car here. And google-translate doesn't like the word loquieris.

II have been in hundreds of religious buildings, from tiny country churches to great Cathedrals and splendiferous mosques. In each I have felt something more than just a sense of wonder at the architecture or the decoration. But when it comes to the services, for me nothing is added. They remain just fine buildings.

Is this a clue for the next quiz? If it is, I want to know so I can start taking notes.

I have been in hundreds of religious buildings, from tiny country churches to great Cathedrals and splendiferous mosques. In each I have felt something more than just a sense of wonder at the architecture or the decoration. But when it comes to the services, for me nothing is added. They remain just fine buildings.

I suppose that applies to Wats in Thailand?

I thought that Latin was the language of the Roman Catholic Church since Latin was the language of the Romans? Naturally the Greek Church uses Konic Greek. I believe the Russian Church uses Slavonic. And, of course, the Ethiopian Catholic Church uses Ge'ez.

Putavi quod Latinus sermo Latinus Romano Catholica Romana lingua? Naturaliter Ecclesiae Graecae utitur Konic Graeco. Credo Russian Ecclesia utitur Slavicae. Et scilicet Aethiopis Ecclesia catholica utitur Ge'ez.

Resignation or no resignation is not my concern. Most religious organisations are bad examples of good governance (e.g. no transparency) and donors don't demand it because faith in religion (not necessarily, but likely) implies trust in religious leaders. :(

Fountainhall, I am jealous as I have never been to the South of France, but this cathedral's interior is incredibly beautiful and has been often photographed, and is on my list to visit.  Hint---The same name in part of a cathedral in Paris and Reims, and dozens of others around the world in the same and different language.

Guest abang1961

Isnt this Pope B a homophobe?

Well I am not a catholic but had visited many beautiful churches in the past few trips...including that Interior of the Church Notre Dame de la Garde , Marseille , France

If I ever get married, I will do it in Switerzland..one of the most beautiful places in the world.

And who should I invite?

.. but first, find me a man...

he has to be a gay white man, probably in his 40s upwards, love everything Asian, financially and academically equipped, IQ and EQ balanced, not obese (a little love handles is wonderful for sex), pleasant smile and the list goes on...yes, like musicals and Shirley Bassey, Edith Piaf, Audrey Hepburn.... am I asking for the sky?

Guest fountainhall

Fountainhall, I am jealous as I have never been to the South of France, but this cathedral's interior is incredibly beautiful

Interior of the Church Notre Dame de la Garde , Marseille , France

And I thought this was difficult! The Christmas Quiz this year will clearly have to be a bit more tough! Yes, it's the lovely interior of the Church of Notre-Dame de la Garde which sits atop the hill overlooking Marseilles.

post-1892-0-20543700-1360822857_thumb.jpg

How about the location of this one?

post-1892-0-29530000-1360822047_thumb.jpg

.... am I asking for the sky?

If you want someone IQ and EQ balanced, probably yes - at least on this Board   :yahoo:

Guest abang1961

If you want someone IQ and EQ balanced, probably yes - at least on this Board :yahoo:

Pm me the list of potential boyfriends/lovers... :mom:

Later:

Yes I was really asking for too much.

But you cant blame me as I am way ahead of the Thai money boys in terms of education and experience(cannot compete with them for sexperiences, right?).

That photo was Blessing and Holding the Bible, Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey, Europe

Guest fountainhall

I have never been to the South of France

When you go, in addition to the usual places like Marseilles, Aix, Arles, Avignon, etc. do spend a day in this glorious hill town - Gordes. There is a lovely little hotel just across from it with great views of the town - Hotel des Romarins. And of course  Chateau-neuf du Pape is not far away.

post-1892-0-37942400-1360827986_thumb.jpg

post-1892-0-25358200-1360828010_thumb.jpg

I would love to stay there, but you have to pay as I am a poor man.  Actually, I have already decided that I will stay in Provence and do Arles, Avignon and Marseilles as a day trips.  I love art, architecture and history and the area has all three in abundance.

Hey, by mentioning Avignon I have brought this back to the subject.  If the old Pope doesn't like the new Pope he has a palace already for him to go to,  and do a do over.

Guest fountainhall

For Avignon, I'd recommend staying across the river in Villeneuve les Avignon. It's only a short drive across a bridge to get to the sights in the main town (not the "Sur le Pont d'Avignon" bridge, though, as it stops half way across!). It's quieter, cheaper and there are lots of good restaurants. We stayed at this little hotel in May 3 years ago and the rates were very reasonable -

http://www.hoteldelatelier.com/en/hotel.html

Two warring Popes, if it happens, would not be good for the Catholic Church. It has enough problems already. And the devotion of many religious followers all over the world would unnecessarily be put to task. Which would you know who to trust? There can be only one Pope. They can't both be right. Maybe that is the theoretical role of this so-called anti-pope.

After all, you can only fool some of the Papal some of the time.

Jeez folks - get a life! EVERY RELIGIOUS group claims it is right!

Guest thaiworthy

To heck with ITunes.  To use that I have to have an inferior product. :p   However, I found the movie on youtube and watched the entire movie on my TV via HDMI.  Thank you TW for the info, I did enjoy this movie, but wanted a different ending.  In fact, I would like a different ending in the real life selection of the Pope also.

KT, re: We Have A Pope: I can do the same with HDMI as well, but on youtube it appears to be in 17 consecutive pieces. How did you get it to play continuously? Is it available on HD? If so, I couldn't find it.

Got a link? Or if you could provide some instruction, much appreciated. Thanks.

EVERY RELIGIOUS group claims it is right!

That's a necessary part of the marketing spiel. If their sales reps and key account managers start expressing doubt, perhaps the customers will decide it's all one big scam.

KT, re: We Have A Pope: I can do the same with HDMI as well, but on youtube it appears to be in 17 consecutive pieces. How did you get it to play continuously? Is it available on HD? If so, I couldn't find it.

Got a link? Or if you could provide some instruction, much appreciated. Thanks.

??????????  It was in five parts, but now it is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I think they got a lot of interest and just put it in 11 parts to generate more ads.  Bless you youtube. :ass: