Guest fountainhall

Oral Sex Caused Michael Douglas’ Cancer

Guest fountainhall

In a frank interview with The Guardian, Michael Douglas reveals that the cause of his throat cancer was not – as thought – his years of smoking and drinking, but oral sex.

HPV, the sexually transmitted virus best known as a cause of cervical and anal cancer and genital warts, is thought to be responsible for an increasing proportion of oral cancers.

Some suggest that changes in sexual behaviour – a rise in oral sex in particular – are responsible. Such changes might be cultural, but could also be linked to fears about the safety of penetrative sex in the wake of the Aids epidemic.

Mahesh Kumar, a consultant head and neck surgeon in London, confirmed that the last decade has seen a dramatic rise in this form of cancer, particularly among younger sufferers. Recent studies of 1,316 patients with oral cancer found that 57% of them were HPV-16 positive.

"It has been established beyond reasonable doubt that the HPV type 16 is the causative agent in oropharyngeal cancer," said Kumar, who also testified to increased recovery rates among this kind of cancer sufferer. This would help explain why Douglas was given an 80% chance of survival, despite the advanced stage of his illness.

Douglas adds he believes cunnilingus can also help cure this condition, an idea that Dr. Kumar suggests “just doesn’t make sense!”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/02/michael-douglas-oral-sex-cancer

This I believe was the same (first) cancer that LMTU picked up, also from Oral sex perhaps ( and I'm not being mean there I think that was the accepted cause), definitely something to bare in mind I guess - but is it enough to make me rubber up for Oral- probably not I have to say, like everything in life you weigh up the risks and likelihood of picking something up against the pleasure I guess and until the number of cases start rising dramatically (and lets hope they don't) not much will change I guess.

But fair play to Michael Douglas for being so upfront about the cause in his case, I'm sure his wife was just DELIGHTED with him when she read THAT interview over her morning tea and toast ! :-)

All the more reason for you cock suckers to get the HPV vaccine.

For some people, this does seem like a very good move. 

If the vaccine is effective, you are either protected against the common HPV strains, or you had it already. Either way, you can carry on as you were, at least if only considering HPV.

Such an argument doesn't stand up so well if the vaccine turns out to be ineffective in mature men.

In the UK, private clinics offer this for about £120 a dose. 3 doses required.

Such an argument doesn't stand up so well if the vaccine turns out to be ineffective in mature men.

I thought there was absolutely no doubt that the vaccine ABSOLUTELY is ineffective in anyone who has already been exposed to the virus  - and as the virus is able to be passed on by normal every day sexual or even non sexual skin to skin contact it's assumed that a lot of people from say their late teens upwards will already have been exposed to the virus in one way or the other hence why the vaccination is only offered to young school age people.  

I do take you're point that "well you'd be no WORSE off" but spending £300-400 quid on something which lets face it most gay guys our age will most certainly have encountered before does seem a little daft, saying that I'm sure LMTU would happily have paid 100 times that to avoid or cure himself of his bout of it but I know any Doctor I've spoken to ( either NHS private) has told me plainly that to get the shots at my age (44) would most probably be a total waste of time and money. ( and before anyone says no, that's not because I'm a particularly bigger tart than any other gay guy I happen to know :-)  

and before anyone says no, that's not because I'm a particularly bigger tart than any other gay guy I happen to know :-)  

Your advice is the same as I have heard.  After an age is is useless to get the shots.  However, as a maker of the great American Mom and Apple pie, I applaud its progenitor the Irish Apple tart, and would want to be the biggest one around.

LMTU contacted HPV, at an older age, even though he claimed to have had many sexual/oral contacts throughout his life. The same is true of Michael Douglas.  In other words, these guys did not acquire immunity by having been exposed to the virus through their daily lives.  Fact is, gay men are contracting HPV.  It really is a judgement call; do you spend $450 USD to possibly prevent cancer or just assume the probability is too low to warrant the cost?  I pay more than that for my daily cup of coffee over a period of a year.  When I asked my doctor his response was, why not, as long as I was willing to pay the cost since not covered by my insurance.

Interesting to see Michael Douglas's publicist issuing a "clarification" of Michael's interview wishing to highlight the fact that Michael's cancer was NOT actually caused by oral sex, however the Guardian have stood by their story and released the audio file of the interview where it is quite clear what was said - obviously the wife DID give him a bollocking when he got home for telling the truth and the Hollywood PR machine was told to kick into gear to rectify the issue.  To be fair to Michael he has remained silent as I'm guessing he knows the truth and couldn't give a shit who knows and maybe is actually trying to help and warn others of the risks.

Mind you wouldn't it just be hilarious if the reason the wife might be objecting is that she KNOWS they haven't had oral sex EVER but yet she's noticed that Marcos their 22 year old hot gardener always seems to be walking around with a big smile on his face and seems to be driving more and more expensive cars of late !!  :-))   

Guest scottishguy

Irrespective of our little debate on the vaccine's efficacy in older males - at £360 for 3 simple injections it sounds like great business for those Private Clinics. 

The cost to the NHS in providing the same treatment is £45 per patient.

Yes, I know ....economy of scale and all that...

Guest fountainhall

Is there an age limit re the vaccine's effectiveness. I have read some papers that seem to suggest it's only really effective in younger men.

It is most effective in younger persons simply because they have had less exposure to the virus (thus possibly acquiring immunity) and that they have not been sexually active. I can assume that, if an older person has not acquired immunity, then the vaccine would be as effective as with a young person.  Quite the same with m0st vaccines, do it when the person is young.

Not all older people would be infected. Wikipedia data shows US infection rates are lower in older age groups.

An older person moving from a long term relationship with one person to sleeping around might just find it to be worth their while.

I guess our average member would already be in a higher risk category.

Wikipedia also references a study which shows 75% of males were HPV negative within 12 months. 

Presumably that short infection period is already sufficient to create a cancer risk, .