Guest fountainhall

Tipping (but not in the bars)

I would think that "forcing" your friend to leave 20 b for you was a huge loss of face for you. It just shows your lack, or your insensivity, of thai manners.

"Taxi money" is another story.

I would suggest you seek help from qualified people, and not hope to find help on any of all the boards you post to.

Regarding the tipping (cut from a post I wrote on another board):

We walked about 15minutes to a bar/restaurant (boys who can walk more than 5 minutes get brownie points, we had to skip two places because the music was too loud). First we sat inside, but the band was starting to play so it was not possible to have a conversation. We moved outside and took just our glasses, a waitress brought the table with the drinks to our new place. P tipped the waitress 20 Baht.

Important observation: I read that Thais don’t tip, but that’s not true. Last week I had two Thai friends for dinner at a restaurant near my place, I paid the bill (842 Baht) and took all the change (didn’t leave a tip). One of my friends put 20 Baht on the tray as a tip. Did that make me look like a cheap Charlie or just show lack of cultural understanding? But I really read that tipping is uncommon in Thai restaurants! Now I know better. As I said before, I am strongly against tipping, but when in Rome do as the Romans do. I have to observe (or ask my friends) to get an idea where and how much to tip. I wish the person who brought the evil of tipping into the world a slow and painful death, a malignant cancer would be my first choice.

Many people would agree with you Christian. Although choking to death on a chunk of food might be more appropriate than a maligant cancer.

One thing I have noticed in restaurants in Thailand is the waiters/waitresses rarely thank the customer for the tip. Have others observed this or have different experiences?

Here is a good article on tipping which appeared in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12tipping-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Regarding the tipping (cut from a post I wrote on another board):

Many people would agree with you Christian. Although choking to death on a chunk of food might be more appropriate than a malignant cancer.

One thing I have noticed in restaurants in Thailand is the waiters/waitresses rarely thank the customer for the tip. Have others observed this or have different experiences?

I hope Christian and you are not serious with that malignant cancer comment / wish. If you didn't witness such a death count your blessings.

In most places it's  still fairly easy to avoid burden of tipping by choosing non-tip kind of establishment by eating breakfast at McDonalds and buying one's beer at the store and drinking it on the bench in Lumpini Park. 

As Christian noticed when in Rome do what Romans do.

In Rome , New York  /yes there is such city between Syracuse and Albany / leave 15-20 % customary tip, in Rome, Italy ask locally what customs are . 

And no, I'm not fun of tipping either as tipping  system is forcing service workers to depend on kindness od strangers instead of receiving fair wage like in Japan or Australia.

Yes and I'm glad  you mentioned that. I noticed that not only restaurant's or go-go   waiters  , mamasans etc rarely think for a tip but also  boys seldom do.

It may be cultural thing and hope others can comment on it . And no, with short time no less than 1500 and long no less than 2500 I don't think my  is Cheap Charlie case

I hope Christian and you are not serious with that malignant cancer comment / wish. If you didn't witness such a death count your blessings.

No not serious at all.!! I really don't understand the aversion to tipping especially in a place as Thailand where the wages of the working class are so low.  If they were earning a living wage such as in Japan or Australia that is another matter. But in Thailand that is not the case and maybe a tip can make a difference in someone's life? 

In the case of bar boys and a tip, I always get a wai in appreciation of my tip plus a grope.

I really don't understand the aversion to tipping especially in a place as Thailand where the wages of the working class are so low.  If they were earning a living wage such as in Japan or Australia that is another matter. But in Thailand that is not the case and maybe a tip can make a difference in someone's life? 

I'm fully with you on the issue. Tips haters should follow your earlier post- tipping depends on how many drinks you tipped  before tip. Few drinks help to loose up wallet and one is still happy. We should be grateful for Thailand offering Third world prices for what is often first class  offer. And I don't even mean quality of boys on offer .

A for wai and a grope, now I feel jealous, wonder what I'm doing wrong