firecat69

Thaksin Saga Continues in Thailand

Trailrider's comment was a bit weird, but let's not forget those of us reading this either live in or visit Thailand, a country whose politicians often exhibit a weird inflammation of the brain. I am reminded if those brain scans we sometimes see in medical journals where various parts of the brain show in different colours depending on what the brain is 'thinking'. I wonder if we were to brain scan a Thai politician, would he/she light up either entirely red or entirely yellow? 

Alternatively, a scan might reveal a 'vacancy' in the brain.

There's no point in asking, you'll get no reply

Oh just remember I don't decide
I got no reason it's all too much
You'll always find us out to lunch

Oh we're so pretty
Oh so pretty 
we're vacant
Oh we're so pretty
Oh so pretty

A vacant

etc. . .

Pretty Vacant

1977 Sex Pistols 

I find it quite amusing that firecat69 accuses bkkguy of being opinionated.  It is much like an arsonist complaining that his soup is too hot.

I have to wonder if English is your first language or your comprehension level is just below average.  What possible post could you be referring to as opinionated .

I think the only time you post is with some inane comment that makes no sense .  Look forward to a post by you that makes some sense to anyone on this Board other then yourself!

No    That is exactly right .

My original post:     " Not sure where I stand on amnesty.

Don't have enough facts to make decision.

But I am sure he did some good things for the poor. ( I think)

Seems time to put an end to it???"    Lot of opinions there???  except I can't find them??

Or could it be here:    " Far be it from me to argue with someone as opinionated on the subject as bkkguy and probably more knowledge then me."   No doubt he has strong opinions and an admission by me that he has far more knowledge on the subject.   I don't see it there?  I found his arguments interesting and they provided a lot of facts that I did not know.  Where is my opinion on the subject.  Please show it to me.

But of course you will not be able to. I started the thread because it is an interesting and continuing saga which I am not well read in and one in which I tend to feel Westerners do not understand the arguments because they are not Thai.

No where in the thread did I state my opinion on the Amnesty and I challenge you to find it . I put ???'s and commented "I Think" 

My first sentence was " Not sure where I stand on Amnesty"

So please I am waiting for where I am opinionated in this thread?????

To describe a person as opinionated might quite logically simply mean that person expressing his opinion(s). 

However a few searches of various dictionaries comes up with:

1.  characterized by conceited assertiveness and dogmatism.eg. "an arrogant and opinionated man"

2.  holding stubbornly and often unreasonably to one's own opinions. (the Free Dictionary)

3.  Someone who isn't afraid to give their personal opinion. It doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's just someone that doesn't stay quiet, if they don't agree with something.  (suggestion in the Urban Dictionary)

4.  expressing strong beliefs or judgments about something : having or showing strong opinions  Meriam Webster

5.  holding obstinately and unreasonably to one's own opinions; dogmatic  (Collins)

6.  someone who is certain about what they think and believe, and who expresses their ideas strongly and often   (Cambridge)

There seems to me to be two strands tied here; three interpretations saying opinionated is simple expressing your views strongly, whilst the other three imply or state the opinionated person is in danger of going too far, perhaps getting on other people's nerves, that sort of thing.

I think the best policy in order to avoid any unpleasantness or confusion would be to try and steer clear of using this word, even if all you might have meant was another person simply expressing his opinion (which as I said in my first sentence might seem a perfectly logical definition of the word!).

Well your arguments would have more merit if I disagreed with anything that BKK Guy said but of course I did not. I would say that I fell under #3 and I certainly made it plain that I had no basis to disagree with his arguments , just that there might be another side to the argument which I was not knowledgeable enough to make if it existed.

So I still maintain anyone would have a hard time saying I was opinionated.   To be opinionated you have to express an opinion and I would say it would have to be strongly advanced which of course I did not.

So I still maintain anyone would have a hard time saying I was opinionated.   To be opinionated you have to express an opinion and I would say it would have to be strongly advanced which of course I did not.

Far be it from me to suggest that saying "Far be it from me to argue with someone as opinionated on the subject as bkkguy" is actually expressing a not very subtle negative opinion about that person

and with all due respect, expressions like "far be it from me" are usually used to make expressed opinions or criticisms seem more polite than they actually are

bkkguy

The most thin skinned people I have ever seen. Are you going to deny that you have very strong opinions on the subject and thus by definition are opinionated.

I made it plain that I know very little about the subject and that I could tell you were very well versed in the subject and thus someone I could not possibly have an intelligent argument with.  Yes there are always 2 sides to a discussion and I am sure there are people out there who could go toe to toe with you and have a very spirited discusision.  I am not one of them and I made it plain over and over again that I have no thoughts on the subject.

Having no thoughts on the subject makes me opinionated then so be it. For saying that you are opinionated on the subject.? Any rational human being would agree with that.

If you choose to take that in a negative way that is your problem, I did not mean it that way and as far as I am concerned this ridiculous discussion has run its course!!!

How can I make it any plainer to people who just want to start an argument when there is no argument

...you were very well versed in the subject

Well, he thinks he is.

And most definitely a part of the thread has been a little funny and a whole lot ironic given who's suggesting somebody else is opinionated and then attempting a grammatical lesson about politeness!  Sorta in the same mold as George W. Bush taking it upon himself to correct somebody else's pronunciation or grammar!  :yahoo:

I am surprised that this lecture was given and that it is being punblished in a Paper in Thailand.  However, you cannot talk about Thailand without recognizing the third hand in Thai politics.  What this lecture does not talk about is who really controls this hand, so i am assuming as long as no mention is made of a possible controller that this is discussable.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2620