kokopelli

What Happened Today?

Good question Koko which I'm obliged to leave to others to answer. Probably somebody will nip in soon after this with the correct answer and make a monkey out of me, but in the meantime a couple of questions: Is it GT-related or something that happened in a wider context? Is it perhaps something personal? 

I supose today is a bit vague since today could be tomorrow depending on where you are.

Makes sense to me.  And the time difference presents peculiar problems and potential benefits.  For example, since I'm 12 hours later here in Thailand than relatives/friends back in the states, they keep pressing me to notify them of their lottery numbers; however, since I can't seem to get the right deal on how to split the winnings, I'm holding out for a better deal.  

Oh, just some silly remarks the President made in one of his public addresses.

An article in the New York Times regarding the President's remarks prompted my post.

Oh, thank goodness. I thought it was about the other issue that I didn't think anyone knew about.

Is this what you mean Koko?

Those attending Tuesday’s ceremony marking the 150th anniversary of the Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address in Pennsylvania heard from President Obama after all.

But instead of appearing in person, the president addressed new American citizens via a recorded message.

“This is now officially your country,” Mr. Obama told the citizens, who just moments before had taken the oath of allegiance, administered by Supreme CourtJustice Antonin Scalia.

“Together we can keep the beacon that is America burning bright for all the world to see. I’m proud to welcome you as new citizens of this country,” the president said in the message.

Mr. Obama has come under intense fire from local media and other critics who believe the nation’s first black commander in chief should have attended the historic event.

The president has repeatedly cited Lincoln, a fellow Illinoisan, as one of his heroes. He used the Lincoln Bible at both of his inauguration ceremonies, in 2009 and 2013.

In Mr. Obama’s place, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell spoke at the ceremony, held at the Soldiers’ National Cemetery in Gettysburg.

So, what was that all about? Was he really so busy he couldn't attend, or is did he just decide to skip it.

I read that Kennedy was invited to attend the centenary in 1963 but went to Dallas instead. Wow, it's tempting to wonder in what ways America would've been different now had JFK opted for Gettysburg. . . 

By the way, good thread on GBT Where were you? Plus a poll on the assassination.

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6191#p59032

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6188&start=0

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/19/obama-addresses-gettysburg-ceremony-on-tape/

Rogie;  President Lincoln yes, but not President Obama.  I wasn't aware of the made-up controversy about Pres. Obama's not being present at 150 th anniversary. The tidbits of info I posted were just clues to what happened on Nov. 19 (1863).

NYTimes Nov 20, 1863

The second article is an editorial from the Patriot & Union, Nov. 1863.

post-9743-0-79307700-1384902103_thumb.jpg

post-9743-0-04767200-1384902252_thumb.jpg