Guest SpermAholic

Bangkok Shutdown

Guest SpermAholic

I figured I should start a seperate thread as I have seen some very good posts in other threads here that are not really related. Seeing as this is a real situation that is turning for the worse I figure we should use this thread for discussion as many people who are here or planning on visiting Thailand very soon might need this information.

To start it off I would like to say that the next 2 or 3 weeks will be very heated and noone knows what direction this will go but one thing is for real; Many more people will die very soon :(

Guest Tball73

I'm of a mind to cancel my trip during Chinese New Year. Was planning to visit Pattaya, but given the escalating situation, I don't even think that's safe anymore.

I'm of a mind to cancel my trip during Chinese New Year. Was planning to visit Pattaya, but given the escalating situation, I don't even think that's safe anymore.

hopefully firecat or travellerdave will respond as they are in PATTAYA  right now I believe

Guest SpermAholic

I live in Pattaya too full time and everything is ok and will be ok here. Getting out of Bkk is still fine from the airport but that could change depending on what happens next but that is the question that NOBODY knows.

I am hosting guys who want to get out of Bkk and all I ask is that you leave a deposit in my belly. lol

Guest Tball73

If the past were any indication, Thailand's Teflon economy will prevail and things will be back to normal by July :-)

Where things stand now, I don't feel confident about making the drive from the airport to Pattaya and back on the days I need to travel.

Pattaya remains peaceful and, as was just stated, there is nothing here that would make anyone feel unsafe.  The only difference is that baht buses are crammed and restaurants are doing a brisk business.  If Pattaya is your destination there is no reason to stay away.

Guest SpermAholic

Just got this email from my Embassy:

From January 22nd to March 23rd, 2014, the Thai Government has declared a 60-day State of Emergency in Bangkok and its surrounding areas. This gives the government the power to impose curfews, ban on political gatherings of more than 5 people, detain suspects without charge and restrict political demonstrations in Bangkok. Further clarification on possible measures and their enforcement should be provided in the course of the coming days. Canadians should remain vigilant at all times, avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings, follow the advice of local authorities and monitor local media.

All these people cuming to Pattaya and I can't get any loads in my mouth ! :(

Guest abang1961

Yes I cant change the dates of my cheap flights.

So I am adhering to the Thailand trip - Sat 25 Jan 2014.

I will leave the airport for Pattaya straight... probably hit the Boyztown area at about midnight...

Thanks SA for the weather updte.. it seems like Dongtan here I come.

Rehash an old MTV for the sake of old-timers like me (and perhaps some of you..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAK-clPtHg

Yes I cant change the dates of my cheap flights.

So I am adhering to the Thailand trip - Sat 25 Jan 2014.

I will leave the airport for Pattaya straight... probably hit the Boyztown area at about midnight...

enjoy your trip and don't forget to report a bit here 

Guest shyatfirst

enjoy your trip and don't forget to report a bit here 

I have my flight booked to arrive in Bangkok on 14 march. now with this state of emergency decree for 60 days my arrival will be near the end of it being in force. So all I am going to do it keep watching and seeing what goes on with it all. hopefully if the election goes ahead on Feb 2 then everything could return to normal. whatever can be called "normal" for Thailand. What a bloody mess the government has created for itself and Thailand. talk about dysfunctional on a grand scale .Dam by the time I get there all the massage boys will be worn out and not have any strength to "make me happy" hahaaha. Oh well looks like I will have to make a profile on the gayromeo site for emergency use only.

:yahoo:  :good:

Guest SpermAholic

To be honest, if the election DOES go ahead that will lead to some more very bad unrest and will not be "normal" by any means.

Hoepfully you will be fine but yes check the updates before you cum here.

Guest Tball73

I keep imagining the airport shutting down and getting stranded in Pattaya with no way to get back heheh. Anyways, will keep watch and see if things change in a hurry.

Tball73, I think that's quite understandable, although you try to see that potential outcome in a positive way. I already lived in Bangkok when the airport shutdowns of 2008 happened, and while the shutdowns didn't affect me personally, two stories still make me sad when I think about them: First, an elderly couple from Germany that got stranded in Bangkok on their way back home, missing their grandson's wedding in the process. Second, a group of young people (I think from Australia) that couldn't fly out of Bangkok, so they took a van to Phuket to fly out from there instead - sadly, they had a terrible accident on their way.

This incident really did cause a lot of distress and grief to many people, and won't be forgotten anytime soon.

As far as this year is concerned, I'd say all bets are off. We really have to wait and see.

Guest SpermAholic

They are now talking about turning the "Emergency decree" (Bkk) into an "Executive decree" (all of Thailand). This would envoke curfews and stope people from gathering with more then 5 at a time during curfew hours.

I'm actually thinking of leaving now for a few months as this will not get any better even if the elections do go ahead.

Guest SpermAholic

Been here 13 years strait, why would I over-react? I know exactly how things develope here and so far on this and other forums I have called every move spot on.

I'm not saying it is "D" day but not a bad time to be gone either.

Trust me again, after the EC gets the word on wether or not the election can be postponed or not will not be a good decicion for either side.

Fact is that the King has already ruled the elections will be on Feb. 2nd however Suthep is going against his ruling and all of the Government, Police and Military rulings as well.

NOT GOOD !

Guest Tball73

It'll be disappointing for my boy, but given the situation I'm canceling flights and hotels to be on the safe side. Was really looking forward to the trip :-(

It'll be disappointing for my boy, but given the situation I'm canceling flights and hotels to be on the safe side. Was really looking forward to the trip :-(

no win situation - if it turns you were right, many people will suffer. If it turns you overreacted, you will suffer.

Go with your guts and hope for the best

Guest SpermAholic

With almost every country in the world now advising a "no travel" warning to Thailand and several including the Philipines and China issuing a "Black Alert" and warning their citizens to prepare for an evacuation..........it is just NOT a good idea to plan a vacation here right now.

I am in Pattaya and every day now I would have no idea that there anything going on unless I read the news or here all my Thai friends talking about it and also seeing more and more Bangkok license plates around. I could also say the same about 90% of the rest of Thailand HOWEVER as they say, things can change minute by minute here.

I would say that foreigners are safe here as long as they keep their noses out of the Political unrest and stay away from any rally sites.

Yestarday the "Constitution Court" ruled that the election CAN be delayed only if the EC (Election Commitee) and the Priminister as the King for a new Royal Decree stating that the election should be postponed.

Priminister Yingluk has said that she will ask for the Royal Decree as long as Suthep agrees to end the demonstration. All this will do is postpone the inevitable........more riots and rallies as Suthep has also said that he will cause more unrest at every polling station during the election.

What this all means is that Thailand is now divided no matter how you look at it and the situation will only get worse.

If a tourist wanted to plan a 2 week vacation right now and could fly into Phuket or Chiang Mai and avoid landing in Bangkok then I'm sure you would be fine but the bottom line is: stay away from Bangkok right now no matter what as you could be stuck here if they decide to take over the airport AGAIN.

The problem is that the Supreme Protest Leader (I love that title bestowed on Khun Suthep by the Bangkok Post) doesn't just want to postpone the election and implement reforms before said election, but also insists that the caretaker government must resign with immediate effect. That's probably still something they're not willing to do, so it remains interesting to see whether or not a compromise can be worked out.

I certainly hope so and I think the Constitution Court did a really good job (not that my opinion matters) with their ruling, given the precarious situation a mere week before the scheduled election.

Guest SpermAholic

I agree in many ways except that I dont think that the Constitution court did any job at all. Like the reports say "it is back in your hands".

Yingluck and the EC were hoping to bring forth a more direct ruling that would be carved in stone but by just "passing the buck" back it showed that they don't have a damn clue what to do.

Now thqt it is back in the hands of the PM and the EC, the PDRC (Suthep) will again disagree on the ruling saying that the PM and EC is corrupt and that it should be an independent commitee that makes the ruling.

This is the exact reason that more protests/rioting will take place 110%

Guest Tball73

no win situation - if it turns you were right, many people will suffer. If it turns you overreacted, you will suffer.

Go with your guts and hope for the best

You're right. Its no win for me, and no win for Thais. Unless both sides decide they can negotiate, this will eventually escalate to violence. The country cannot afford to suffer the economic price the stalemate exacts for much longer.