Guest SpermAholic

Bangkok Shutdown

I smiled as part of silom now is a walking street. And people are still doing their normal stuff, walking back from work, on the way to bts. Flock of tourists here and there, One would thought that they would avoid the area since allegedly someone said that it is very dangerous and bloodshed is upon us..... hmmmmm....

Wow.  That is real fast....

Hard to imagine making the trip THAT quickly.  Well done.

123km.    Need to depart at a time of day when there are no traffic jams in Pattaya & do ~140km/h.

When the driver is going @ 100km an hour to conserve both fuel & his 20 year old banger, then he stops once for LPG and another time for a pee, the journey usually takes longer.

Guest anonone

Seems to always take me about 90 minutes from leaving BKK parking until arrival in South Pattaya.  I haven't had a taxi driver stop for a long time...for a pee or LPG or whatever.  I thought we were usually going 100-120, and it is usually around 2300 hours...so not much traffic.

I am always anxious to arrive in Pattaya as quickly as possible...for some reason.  :spiteful:

Guest Tball73

I did have my friend meet me at airport. Should have gone with the curtain option!

BTW, just to share with those booking transfers online about Airport Transfers Thailand (www.airporttransfersthailand.com). They messed up my bookings for both transfers and sent us the oldest car I've ever seen, complete with mosquitoes flying around the back, for our return to swampy. Had to quit the car before it got out of Pattaya and get another (cheaper, clean and super-fast taxi) on our own.

They made good by refunding 1/2 the Paypal charges, but I'll never use them again.

Guest abang1961

Poor thing Tball73 for the bad experience.

I arrived late (after 7 pm) and the only choice was the express bus as Bell ended their day at 6 pm.

It was rather good as it was fast and it stopped at various locations along Sukhumvit Road.

Guest oriapplepie

Hi guys! New boy from Hong Kong here :) I'm going to start my Valentine's Day trip with my man tomorrow, oops, should be later today, it's 24/1 midnight now!

Our plan is to go to Ko Chang for 3 days, then Pattaya for the next 3 days, and then crazy shopping (and hopefully massaging) in Bangkok. I'm hoping to experiencing the legendary massage of HERO but is it accessible safely? Is Terminal 21 still one of the rally sites? We changed from the usual hotel nearby Lumpini Park to another nearby Chatuchak. Many thx in advance! 

Hi guys! New boy from Hong Kong here :) I'm going to start my Valentine's Day trip with my man tomorrow, oops, should be later today, it's 24/1 midnight now!

Our plan is to go to Ko Chang for 3 days, then Pattaya for the next 3 days, and then crazy shopping (and hopefully massaging) in Bangkok. I'm hoping to experiencing the legendary massage of HERO but is it accessible safely? Is Terminal 21 still one of the rally sites? We changed from the usual hotel nearby Lumpini Park to another nearby Chatuchak. Many thx in advance! 

just go and don't worry about anything, it's not mayhem  some Western media are picturing

I'm hoping to experiencing the legendary massage of HERO but is it accessible safely? Is Terminal 21 still one of the rally sites? We changed from the usual hotel nearby Lumpini Park to another nearby Chatuchak. Many thx in advance! 

Terminal 21 is indeed nearby one of the protest sites (Asoke intersection), but so far, going there hasn't been any problem. I live nearby and I've been going to Terminal 21 on an almost daily basis all throughout the protests. HERO is even less of a problem, because you'd access it from Nana BTS, where you don't even see any protesters.

Don't worry, but do keep yourself up to date. The police have announced to reclaim (some of) the protest sites and they've started today. More might follow.

Guest oriapplepie

Thank you guys! U guys r more helpful than checking BBC :) Is there Thai TV station with News in English? It is a pity that their 24 hrs news tv does not have news in English. I'm going to Pattaya tomorrow! See y'all later!

Thank you guys! U guys r more helpful than checking BBC :) Is there Thai TV station with News in English? It is a pity that their 24 hrs news tv does not have news in English. I'm going to Pattaya tomorrow! See y'all later!

Hope you report something about your findings, enjoy your trip

I am thinking of joining the Songkran festival on Khaosan Road, and gcircuit's events which are gonna be held in Central World and Imperial Queen's Park Hotel. And I wanna go to the boys town area (surawong, silom soi 4 and soi 2/1...) too. Will these areas  be safe during that time?

Well, in all honesty, nobody can tell you if these areas will be safe two months from now. I'd say keep following the news and ask again a couple of weeks before.

On a lighter note, gCircuit was fun last year! Chances are you'll have fun this year, too. :)

Guest abang1961

Could this week be the beginning of more tempestuous time?

Time to clear the money owed to the farmers..

The Yingluck's saga roll on from 27 Feb 2014...

2 consecutive bomb burst in the past days...

This time it went off at the quintessential shopping junction of downtown Bangkok..

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/396589/2-killed-22-injured-at-ratchaprasong

Where in Bangkok is safe? ..... Red-shirts are stepping up their ante...

Guest anonone

only rich people have problems with taxis, poor people are taking bus, usually mosquito free

Rich or poor, when your plane lands at BKK at 2300 hours, Bus is not an option.

I agree with you,   don't want to sound argumentative though but I'm pretty sure that quite a few backpacking types seen camping at night in airports world over are ones waiting for cheaper options in the morning.

Usually more money at disposal means shorter vacations so we don't want to waste precious holiday time waiting for transport to save few bucks but younger and older crowd may calculate quite differently.

And location matters too, its easy to splurge in Thailand  but if one is landing late  in say,  London , UK may be more inclined to wait for train / bus however long it may take in order to save 100 pounds if not more I was told.

Guest Garrison

I need to do some shopping in a store housed in Central World Plaza, Bangkok, before returning to Pattaya but am unsure about access to it given ongoing demonstrations.

Is it relatively easy to get to the Plaza from the Suvarnabhumi Airport by taxi?

And once finished with my quick shopping, is it possible to get from the Plaza to the Ekkamai Bus Station to catch a bus to Pattaya? Or would hiring a taxi to Pattaya be a more practical option in these troubled times in the City of Angels?

I would be most grateful for any information you can assist me with.

Garrison, if your shopping bags aren't that heavy, I'd consider using the BTS (Skytrain) to get to/fro Central World. That would be the Chidlom station of the Sukhumvit line. You could then proceed to Ekkamai station, also on Sukhumvit line, from where it's a short walk to the bus terminal.

From a traffic point of view, that's the most predictable way to travel. If you've got to carry heavy stuff, that's probably not an option, in this case allow plenty of time for the taxi journeys (Central World can be a problem, no protests in the vicinity of Ekkamai bus terminal).

Guest anonone

I agree with you,   don't want to sound argumentative though but I'm pretty sure that quite a few backpacking types seen camping at night in airports world over are ones waiting for cheaper options in the morning.

Usually more money at disposal means shorter vacations so we don't want to waste precious holiday time waiting for transport to save few bucks but younger and older crowd may calculate quite differently.

And location matters too, its easy to splurge in Thailand  but if one is landing late  in say,  London , UK may be more inclined to wait for train / bus however long it may take in order to save 100 pounds if not more I was told.

You are right about that.  I certainly am more protective of my time off of work to wait around overnight for a cheap bus to Pattaya.  Once retirement hits, things will change...for sure.

The taxi to Pattaya is one of the best travel values out there.