Guest SpermAholic

Bangkok Shutdown

On Sukhumvit, it's mostly the Asoke intersection that is affected, because that's where one of the protest sites is located. Sometimes the protesters are on the move, so at some times other stretches of Sukhumvit Road are affected as well (Sukhumvit is a very long road, so "the area around Sukhumvit" is quite vague).

Guest Tball73

Thanks for the quick reply! Not thinking straight when I posted ... then again, when have I ever?! LOL. Was wondering about Terminal 21 ... might have to reconsider my choice of accommodation. When will this blasted protest ever end?

I go to Terminal 21 frequently, as it's very close to where I live. But yes, it's right at the Asoke protest site. Many protesters in fact use Terminal's food court and, uhm, other facilities to get through the day in relative comfort. ;)

So considering the recent attack at the Ratchaprasong site (outside Big C and also nearby Central World), it's worth keeping in mind that the same could happen in Asoke as well. Hopefully not, but there are less exposed shopping centers than Terminal 21, so use your best judgment.

No idea when it will all end, and how. Your guess is as good as anyone's!

Guest abang1961

Direct from Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/397560/bangkok-shutdown-shut-down

This tussle may be ending soon as the anti-government camp is losing steam.

It came as a surprise tonight that Suthep had decided to downscale the rally sites to just one at Lumpini.

The shutdown proved to be futile as the caretaker PM is still around.

I have no rights as an outsider to comment on Thai politics. but the latest and sudden change of heart by the opposition shows that they are in fact, not getting the intended results.  6 weeks ago, there was much  fanfare but now, the crowd frizzles off.  The Thais are getting impatient as both sides are lame-ducks. 

It would be anyone's guess when this ordeal is over..but nonethless, Thailand is still SAFE to visit..

Happy Songkran.. well-in-advance.

It's nice that the blocked roads will be opened to traffic again, yes, but as far as the political rift is concerned, this doesn't change anything much. Things will remain quite interesting, but the attention will shift to the NACC and the courts at least for a while.

Guest casteran

In Bangkok as I write this, while I have seen some protestors, roads are open. Seems like normal here. The taxi queue at airport last night was quite long so business is good here in a Thailand.

Guest oriapplepie

I'm back in HK now and BKK actually was quite ok when I was there 1 week after Valentine's Day. I had my fancy lovely sexy massage in HERO and the guy was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo gorgeous that I lost my manners and asked him for photos XD There were protests in Asok and Sala Daeng BTS stations but it was safe. Or I should thank God for the protection since lethal attacks happened after we took flight back to HK.