tamtam

Laos and Cambodia

I have heard many positive things about gay life in these 2 countries. The last time I visited, was back in 2009, and I would like to go back this year. So maybe some of tthe posters on this forum could give me some input about the current situation for gay travelers. Is there any area in Phnom Penh and Vientiane that is known to be gay and where the gay bars are situated? How about the hotel policy? When I was there in 2009, they didnt really approve of visiytors to your room, so I had to sneak them in. Are there gay friendly hotels in Vientiane and Phnom Penh?.And how do the guys connect? Do they use Grindr, Hornet and Gay Romeo or are there boy bars where they go to meet foreigners? Does anyone know the going rate for boys in these 2 countries?

In Thailand II mostly use tthe gay apps to pick up guys.And I must say that I miiss the old days where there was only Gay Romeo. Nowadays we are all on 3 or 4 apps at the same time, and it takes mush longer to get an answer from someone because your attention deals with so many different apps.

It is the same with me, I mght cchat with someone on Hornet and forget about the messages in the other apps until its too late and he might have logged off!

Phnom Penh

This has a number of gay hotels, which can be found on google.

I've also stayed at the Silver River Hotel, which was fine with my guests (for this hotel, I negotiated the room rate in advance by e-mail and negotiated no joiners fee as well).

The Blue Chilli bar is close to this, which is a good place for meeting people.

There are at least 3 gay saunas which can be found on google.  If I remember correctly, the "Love Spa" was clearly the best.

Vientiane

There are one or two gay bars which can be found on google.

On my most recent trip there, I had no need to check the guest policies of my hotel, as the only 2 willing boys in the bar had "issues" and with slow internet connections, there was not much on line. There are massage shops -google the gay ones and also keep an eye out for mixed shops with boys outside.

On my first trip, several years ago, I met a nice boy by the Nam Phu fountain and we went off on his motorcycle to a short time hotel in the suburbs.  On the more recent trip, that fountain was surrounded by upmarket out oor restaurants, so no more trade..

I think the main places of interest in these countries are Siem Reap (AngkorWat) and Luang Prabang, although the gay scene is quieter (particularly in Luang Prabang).

repeat some remark re Camb from not long ago; as this country is much poorer as TH and thus the use of those smarteyfones is much less. Those good old NOKIAS still reigns here! That makes most of those westey-style gadgets near worthless-or you are sure to hit someone with an OZzie friend or so well versed in ripping of barang-barang to be able to buy AND keep it alive (those fees are also much, much higer as in TH). One would expect the same for Laos-it also seems that any enterprising gay Laotian has already moved to BKK/PTY anyway. But thats just guesswork. I have since many years also planned a next trip to Camb later in the year, but what I saw/remember of reports in essence boils down to a gay massageshop with 2-3 well trained guys in PnPn and even less in SR. Which is less as a provincial Thai town can offer. Traditonially Camb/Khmer have never been well known for our kind of pleasures of the flesh.

I suspect a high percentage of the guys from Laos who are inclined to consider employment as hookers are already working in Thailand.  There are not many offering services in Laos, but quite a lot in Thailand.

I guess it's a lower percentage from Cambodia, considering there are more of them offering services in Cambodia and they seem much less common than Laos boys in Thailand.  Despite Cambodia having a much larger population.

I did hear it costs over $200 to apply for a Cambodian passport, so if that is correct it could be a factor.

So, just for fun I did a user search of PlanetRomeo for all of Laos there are 220 users 26 and under who have logged in in at least the last 3 months. For Cambodia it is 480 spread between PP, SR and Sihanoukville.

Clearly that's not a huge number of people. For Thailand that number is much larger probably by a few orders of magnitude.

I am headed to Laos and Cambodia at the end of the year. While I do hope to have a little fun while I am there, gay sex isn't my primary aim of these visits.

I am headed to Laos and Cambodia at the end of the year. While I do hope to have a little fun while I am there, gay sex isn't my primary aim of these visits.

Exactly the right attitude.   Both are outstanding countries to visits for the sights and the laid back developing country culture. 

Guest funbkk

I can't speak for Cambodia, but I've been to Laos 5 times in the past 12 years. Every time I met genuinely nice friendly gay guys who wanted no money. The gay bar(s) there seem to open and close rather frequently. You need to do some searching on recent sites. Gayromeo works well in Vientienne.

I have stayed in several different guest houses/hotels. I never had trouble bringing a guy back. Although, I did get dirty looks from the staff sometimes.

An important lesson I learned on my first visit is that the gay community is small and close knit. If you go with a guy, everyone will know about it. And if you try to be slutty (as I did on my first trip), you may very well be shunned by many who were quite friendly the night before. In subsequent trips, I always seemed to meet a nice guy within my first couple of days there, stuck with him when he was available, and had genuinely wonderful experiences.

If you go without having your heart set on having sex, have a friendly open attitude, you may very well meet a nice guy who is fun to spend time with.

Guest ryanasia

Funbkk is spot in with his assessment of Laos. There used to be a bar called GQ that has closed. So if you read about that online don't bother trying to find it. Soradith disco is a gay place but has been literally empty the past couple of times I tried to go there. Don Chan palace disco always draws a crowd and has some gay guys there. I have no idea where the gay nightlife in VTE is these days. 

There is a place in Luang Prabang called Lao Lao garden. The owner is gay and he may know of anything new up in that area. There were alot of cute twinks working there when I last visited. If the owner isn't around ask one of the boys working. I have been living in Laos for around 8 years so feel free to ask me anything you want. I have a guesthouse in the 4,000 islands in southern Laos. If you are in the area stop by we could have a drink. I will give the website here if there are no objections to it by the admin.

As far as Phnom Penh goes I stayed at a gay hotel called Manor House. It was pretty nice for it's price range and the owner of the place certainly could help you out with the latest details of the gay scene in the city. Utopia-asia has a lot of info on it's site just type .com behind that name to access it. Again I am unsure o this site's policy on hotlinks. 

I just returned from Laos, visiting Savannakhet, Thakhek, and finally Vientiane.

Weather-wise it has been the hottest week with daytime temperature almost reaching 40C. And the guys were equally hot!

Most hotels have acceptable Wi-Fi, and with so many guys using online dating sites.

I've engaged a few young men since they were students at Vientiane university, and now back in their hometowns. Weren't they horny!

Some enterprising guys were available quite cheaply. They were quickest to reply online and would appear at your door pronto!

If not for the excessive heat, I would have enjoyed myself in a more sedate manner.

how did you find the university boys to follow on FB? Just curious if you had some sort of system or just took a chance on anyone who looked cute. :-) I'll be in LP for a few days without a lot planned in December.

ETA: Actually just doing a search for Luang Prabang brought up plenty of cute gay guys. Thanks to the whole rainbow profile pic thing it makes identifying people easy.

How to get to know university students in Laos?

Narrow your search online whether on Gayromeo or other sites to members aged 18-25, get their Facebook and befriend their friends that you like. Each university student has many friends on Facebook.

Make favourable comments on their postings from time to time.

And when you finally decide to visit Laos, you would probably have several friends willing to meet you.

Guest lonelywombat

ryanasia 10 june, mentioned staying at Manor Inn in Phnom Penh. I have stayed there and found the local advise was great.

I asked about the restaurants and was given a map with hand drawn stars for the places I said I would like. 

They were the opposite direction to the river , extremely popular and would stay there again

Gayromeo works well in PP