Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Gourmet hints from all over
Cat's blood would be more than adequate to douse any such sparks. Your post (unsure if I regret this, or not) reminds me that, when dissecting a cat in advanced bio class in high school, I was appalled how appetizing its gastrocnemius muscle looked -- just like a chicken leg. Diligently maintain your ignorance of both SAW 5 and EscortSpeak. That may be your salvation when St. Peter totes up whether you deserve to enter the pearly gates.
-
New Version of MER
You mean this is not it?! I thought we had been blessed with the tech heads' nirvana -- a "seamless transition"!
-
Is it possible to elect a black President?
Agree. He has been saying publicly what others with some sense but less honor, Peggy Noonan etc., will only voice when they think the mike is off. As for raising the GOP, wonder if we will, irony of ironies, have W. and Cheney to thank for this in the end. The neocons having tested their theories to destruction, will this election finally clear the way for the Hagels, Lugars, etc. to come in from the cold and make the GOP a (comparatively) safe & sane partner in governance?
-
Favorite Gay Sites
http://andrehasablog.blogspot.com/ ...natch!
-
Is it possible to elect a black President?
Although one has to take Ed Rollins with several grains of salt, he knows the game, and had this pretty reasonable-sounding thing to say the other day: Former Reagan political adviser Ed Rollins likened today's landscape to that in 1980, when voters were angry at President Jimmy Carter and the Democrats and turned to Reagan in droves once they felt comfortable with the idea of him as president. "Barack has met the threshold," Rollins said. "Once Reagan met the threshold, people wanted to get rid of Carter and they did in a landslide. This is going to turn into a landslide." http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/53771.html
-
New Macbook laptops to be annonunced on Tuesday
I long thought that Apple charged a premium for little more than brand perception. Then I was put through upgrading my Dell machine to Vista. That drove me to look again, long and hard, at Apple's offerings. Which led me to conclude that today, Apple charges a premium for technology that works, works well, and works comparatively effortlessly. I am typing this on my MacBook Pro.
-
Connecticut becomes 3rd State to Allow Gay Marriages
A truly great day. May we live to see many more of them. Pardon my militancy. But this I believe.
-
Barney Frank talks back to O'Reilly
I love Barney Frank. As I've said here before. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/03/b...f_n_131569.html Some outtakes: O'REILLY: You're a coward. You blame everybody else. You're a coward. FRANK: Bill, here's the problem with going on your show. You start ranting. And the only way to respond is almost to look as boorish as you. ... O'REILLY: You can come in and make every excuse in the world. FRANK: I'm not making excuses. O'REILLY: .blame everybody else in the world and then call me boorish. FRANK: I'm not going to be bullied by your ranting. You can rant all you want, you're not going to shut me up! The problem was that we passed in 1994, in fact. O'REILLY: Now we're back to 1994. This is bull. FRANK: Yes. O'REILLY: This is why Americans don't trust the government. FRANK: No, this is why your stupidity gets in the way of rational discussion. ... O'REILLY: I know, it's all the conservatives, it's all the Republicans and not you. FRANK: Oh, come on. O'REILLY: None on you. That's a joke. FRANK: You won't have a rational discussion. O'REILLY: That's a joke. FRANK: The joke is to think I could have a rational discussion with you. ... etc.
-
What goes up and doesn't come down
The more you look into these things, the worse it gets: http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFi...n1/fracture.xml
-
Blame Candada
She seems unperturbed.
-
Blame Candada
Liberace was Canadian?!
-
Blame Candada
He meant to type: Blame Candidiasis. http://www.skincarenet.org/candidiasis.html
-
Survivor Season 17: Gabon
- Martha Stewart Likes Big Wieners
Good thing black's my color.- Bill Melendez RIP
- True Blood
Crossing wires with your Johnny Depp post, Depp is also slated to star as Barnabas Collins in a Tim Burton remake of "House of Dark Shadows."- Martha Stewart Likes Big Wieners
I bow to superior talent!- Martha Stewart Likes Big Wieners
I'm making a roux. ...with Thing 1 and Thing 2!- Chrysler gets into electric car race
Apropos of very little, the Edsel was almost named the Bullet LaVolta. Courtesy of poet Marianne Moore, whom Ford's marketing VP engaged to come up with a name. She also suggested Mongoose Civique and Utopian Turtletop. But finally the VP had to write her that the powers that be had settled on a name with "gaiety and zest -- the Edsel. You will, I know, share our thrill at this development."- Martha Stewart Likes Big Wieners
See you there! For a surefire way to tighten up the sag you mention, see the scene in Kenneth Anger's film "Scorpio Rising" where Hell's Angels are goosing each other with plastic skulls coated in yellow mustard. (...sort of the inverse of how chili works!) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4704748884284449320 P.S. Rhyming contraire with derrière -- clevèr!- Martha Stewart Likes Big Wieners
Consider me properly chastised.- Martha Stewart Likes Big Wieners
At the risk of being banned, I just can't resist... Martha Stewart Likes Big Wieners The always primp and proper Martha Stewart dedicated an entire episode of her daytime show this week to everything Hot Dog related. The Martha Stewart Show featured all kinds of hot dogs and toppings. They even had a special 15-foot hot dog created by Empire National in Brooklyn that was hand delivered to Martha's studio. And showing you can never be too proper, Ms. Stewart added, "For those of you who don't think length matters, I disagree – especially when it comes to wieners." How saucy, Martha! "There's just never enough bites in a hot dog," she added. http://perezhilton.com/2008-09-24-martha-s...kes-big-weiners- Chrysler gets into electric car race
Eh. Maybe all those neutrons, on top of all the genetic damage from centuries of inbreeding, would cancel each other out. Being from there, I can say that.- Chrysler gets into electric car race
Sure, an element of it is posturing by the car makers. But you can see the arguments that (1) centrally generated electric power from fossil fuels is easier to make cleaner (carbon scrubbing, etc.) than individual combustion engines, and (2) some electric power is already generated from non-fossil-burning means, and more will be in future. Of course, if most of that is from new fission reactors... The new animated TV commercial by nuclear services giant Areva creeps me out. http://energyexperts.areva.com/areva_us.html- My Dick is bigger than yours
Funny -- Nixon recounts that Brezhnev told him exactly the same thing about the Chinese, to wave him off from dealing with Mao. Part of RN's idea, I take it, was that had we been more involved, the Russian asset grab by crookedest oligarchs might have gone somewhat differently. At least some of them would have been our oligarchs! Based on an unscientific sample consisting of a dozen or so Russian emigrants to the U.S. whom I know, there are plenty of honest ones. Of course you're right, in that they are not to be found in that country any more. - Martha Stewart Likes Big Wieners