Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

RA1

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RA1

  1. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Do you think possibly this story is a bit advanced for children? I know some "adults" that wouldn't "get it", sorry to say. Best regards, RA1
  2. At first I thought this was going to be similar to the story about the hitchhiking wizard. I was driving along and picked up this good looking hitchhiker. He kept saying, be careful, I am a wizard and after a while, sure enough I turned into a motel. (Short version as likely everyone has heard this.) Best regards, RA1
  3. Very sad indeed. And, I know of no way of knowing if the authorities have the correct person in custody or not. How can anyone in the public tell? Of course, the retainee is a previous felon and caught on video but is that conclusive? Good enough for me but then I don't know any of the "hidden" details. Lurker--- How can any of us know what to do in all of the various situations and what good is a paper trail if one is found dead? The best result is the arrest and legal sanction of the perp but how does that help the victim? It obviously might help the next victim but that might be scant consolation to the family and friends of the current one. I am not pointing fingers but merely trying to figure out what the deal is and how we can improve it. Best regards, RA1
  4. Lurker- I have to agree. Best regards, RA1
  5. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Yes, hardcore, softcore and in person all have their place. And, yes, it depends upon one's mood and situation at the moment. Best regards, RA1
  6. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    For once, we completely agree. I have enjoyed the biographies of both Albert and Ben, although I have to admit they read like very readable term papers. I have not read the SJ book and have no plans to do so at the moment. That may change. Best regards, RA1
  7. Low heat + patience is the key. A little milk + butter also is good. Best regards, RA1
  8. It depends. Yes, I think they can be dangerous if one puts too much stock into them and the "reading" has unfavorable portents. But, why do you ask? Best regards, RA1
  9. Ouija boards are dangerous, so, just be careful. Best regards, RA1
  10. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    This looks like the guy in LIT, Little Rock, AR who was chastised for annoying his neighbors and causing traffic jams for miles around during his Christmas lighting display. It is a strange situation. In the first place, I am all for allowing folks to do their own thing. But, I am also in favor of not annoying one's neighbors. Somewhere in between is a compromise for all or so I hope. Live and let live seems a good deal to me. Best regards, RA1
  11. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    I have read both of the biographies by Walter Isaacson of Benjamin Franklin and Albert Einstein. I thought them very good and I enjoyed them but they reminded me of a term paper. There was redundancy and all too many listed references. I consider many of those not necessary in a "modern" account of long dead illuminaries. Therefore I view his biography of Steve Jobs with a little caution. Not that I think he is insincere or covering up "negative" items, just that he might be a little too close to the subject and perhaps treating the subject all too "academically", so to speak. I have not read the book. After and when I do, I shall report on my feelings then, if anyone cares. In the meantime, let us just cruise along with our personal thoughts about life in general and deal with life as it exists and we know it today. Best regards, RA1
  12. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Is the Steve Jobs depicted on 60 Minutes yesterday anyone you would want to meet or have as a friend? He was portrayed as cheap, vindictive, hard to get along with and possessing several other negative qualities. Also, there is no doubt that he could sell ice to a native Alaskan but that just makes him a snake oil salesman, doesn't it? Also, how do you feel about money putting him to the head of a list to "buy" a liver? Of course, he isn't the first to do this, Mickey Mantle comes to mind as one, and I do not begrudge him another 1-2 years of life but I personally had an employee who got 20+ years of extended life with a transplanted liver, raised a child and had a successful marriage, all without benefit of having lots of money or public acclaim. He might have prevented another such from this benefit. Someone suggested in another post something about speaking ill of the dead. I have to suppose he means something akin to not kicking a dog when he is down because we all frequently speak ill of the dead. For instance and not comparing these folks to Steve Jobs but Hitler, Stalin and many, many other political as well as business folks, etc., etc. I guess what I am trying to say is that great products do not necessarily make a great man, do they? Best regards, RA1
  13. Are you the one on the left or right? I would say left. Best regards, RA1
  14. Is this not true of most any identifiable group? Blacks, whites, Irish, Ozzies, you name it, if pushed hard enough they all are "sensitive", aren't they (we)? Know any gay folks who take rather instant offense at remarks? Other than everyone on this and other MB's? Do you have a pill to cure human nature or shall you try psychoanalysis? Best regards, RA1
  15. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Rin Tin Tin? JK. I have heard of Tintin but don't know much about it. Best regards, RA1
  16. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    I did not know of Dennis Ritchie and have not so far bought or used any products of Steve Jobs. However, in capitalist USA I have to think both those who can sell a product and those who can invent same are very much to be applauded; perhaps not to the extent of their egos but, still applauded. I do know that they are both human beings and have the attributes and negatives of all of us. I have to think that Thomas Edison who had plenty of faults of his own was not in the same league as these guys but far above. But, things were very different then and now. It could be similar to comparing Babe Ruth to Mark McGuire. They both set records for home runs but in some ways they are not similar at all. Times change. As far as I am concerned we can all honor every one of these folks for what they accomplished but not elevate them to "sainthood" or anything similar. Best regards, RA1
  17. RA1 replied to Lucky's topic in Politics
    Just curious, but how did he manage to stop you? Was he in uniform and you recognized that he was indeed one of PSP's finest? Around here the cops just ignore you if you are only going about 10 MPH over the speed limit and if you are "camped" in the passing lane, they just go around you, much to the annoyance of law abiding motorists. Generally, if you pull in front of them as you describe they just ignore it. Once, while departing from the terminal area of the airport, I mistakenly thought the 4 lane street I was entering had a "joining" lane but it did not at that very point. I accidentally pulled in front of a patrol car which followed me about 1/2 mile and pulled me over. After fussing at me for a few minutes and smelling my breath and, no doubt, observing me for possible drug use, they let me go. I did not endanger them or their car, more or less like what I assume you did. Between and among civilians hereabouts, if there is a "nuisance" traffic situation such as pulling right in front of someone, the various cars involved just pull off the road and "duke" it out. For the young and headstrong, a fairly satisfactory method of relieving tension. Otherwise, most who are not readily identifiable as cops are reluctant to interfere with others. After all, we have a "carry" law here. Best regards, RA1
  18. I "complained" about the time settings because there is no such thing as 0600PM. Also, I would prefer the time to be in military time, used most everywhere except the US to avoid confusion. No such setting for either in the "drop down" menu. Apparently the program requires a 4 digit display for the time and it would be simple enough for 2 PM to be displayed as 1400 rather than 0200PM which is silly and confusing. However, no doubt I will stumble through and manage. Best regards, RA1
  19. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Care to share how you managed to lose 130 pounds? It would be an inspriation to several of us and especially if you mention how you plan to keep it off, not an easy task. I know of many of the foibles of the human race personally and therefore am not making any kind of fun of your situation, merely asking a question. Thanks for your reply and consideration. Best regards, RA1
  20. I wouldn't know, having never been one myself. Best regards, RA1
  21. Translating Portuguese definitely could be useful to various posters on this board. Is this the same device that is used in the advert with the boy mentioning to a villager that his grandfather was from there? Best regards, RA1
  22. I am very much a dog lover but here is my usual "negative" post. I wonder what went on to train the dog to do that stuff? Virtually none of it is "natural" for a dog. I have no reason to suggest the trainer in this case did anything harmful but harmful things are used to train dogs and other animals to do "un-natural" things. Otherwise, without a doubt, it is cute. Best regards, RA1
  23. Let us not forget ZAP Mail which cost FEDEX over 300 million which was more money 25 yeara ago than it is now. In retrospective a very flawed idea that depended upon "controlling" the sale and use of fax machines (which were new then) and a legal precept that faxes would not be viewed as "binding". Of course, fax machines became very available and faxes became at least evidence of intent. I have heard many Europeans and others call Coors Colorado Cool-Aid because it is so mild in taste so no wonder folks wouldn't buy the same product described as "water". Best regards, RA1 I realize Kool-Aid is the brand name but continuing the "C"s seemed to make sense.
  24. Perhaps I am influenced by a memory that has something but not much to do with Al Davis. I went to the 1981 Super Bowl XV, held in MSY, New Orleans. The Philadelphia Eagles were a 3.5 point favorite and the town was loaded with Eagle fans. After all, it is a long way from OAK, Oakland, CA to MSY. I really did not have a favorite team. I was working as the pilot who flew 8 people to the game. But, after observing the obnoxious PHL fans, one walking around Bourbon Street wearing long johns with the rear flap half open and his entire body painted green, I decided to support the Raiders. Much to my delight, the Raiders won and handily so with Jim Plunkett, the quarterback, being named MVP. Just a personal memory. Best regards, RA1
  25. Do you mean personally or technologically? SJ likely provided a lot of impact on many folks lives to include my own, but only indirectly. I have never owned or used any of his "products". Ditto, AD had no "real" impact on my personal life, only indirectly. I enjoyed his personality and the resulting "sports" games. No doubt I also enjoy some of the technology of SJ. However, both indirectly, as mentioned previously. I enjoy and appreciate your point of view but it is not necessarily mine in this case. Best regards, RA1

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.