Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

returning to bangkok - tips to swap

Featured Replies

Speaking of currency, I returned to Bangkok after a 15 year hiatus.  With me I brought 17,000 baht from that earlier trip - mostly in nice crisp 1,000 baht notes.  To my surprise several places would not accept them as they did not have the recent security features.  I did manage to use most of them but I still have a couple of them,  Let's see what happens on my next trip - hopefully in a year or two!

check e-bay ,  1000 baht notes from first issue ( one with king and queen on reverse)  in good condition may be bought by collectors at substantial premium.

  • Replies 56
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ChristianPFC
    ChristianPFC

    For travel outside of Thailand in SEA, I now recommend Taiwan above everywhere else (if commercial sex scene is not important to you, even before Thailand).   Phuket and Koh Samui are expensive and

  • lilbob69
    lilbob69

    I had some Maylasian Ringgit left over from several years ago, probably around 3000B worth. I decided to cash it in whilst in Thailand. It was all larger denominations in good condition but I was only

  • True. At Super Rich Ratchadamri head office, scribbled notes get rejected. After experienced a few rejections, I only brings clean notes from my home country. If you accept lower exchange rate, you c

I mean I keep cash leftover from trips. I'm not investing in these currencies. But I should exchange it with friends traveling there, to de-clutter my life.

I used to keep it as well but than decided to cut on such a waste and with exception on universal currencies like USD and Euro I made a point of spending everything. Keeping few 20 $ / euro notes helps as in last day or two I may exchange only what I need to tidy  me over.

What I don't manage to spent I either drop in charity boxes in the airports or give to some random person , usually cleaner in the airport. This helps de-cluter   my desk

I once gave a horny old taxi driver my last few thousand baht after he dropped me off at the airport.

 

During the trip he was bemoaning the fact that the local girls had become so expensive.

 

The look on his face as I handed him the money was priceless. Worth every baht! Lol

Coincidentally, one nice advantage of having saved the baht for so many years was that they had appreciated.  I had bought them for about 44 baht for the dollar and spent them at 34 baht for the dollar!  Unfortunately I travel to India much more often and I have always lost by holding on to rupees.

I once gave a horny old taxi driver my last few thousand baht after he dropped me off at the airport.

 

During the trip he was bemoaning the fact that the local girls had become so expensive.

 

The look on his face as I handed him the money was priceless. Worth every baht! Lol

 

That was a nice gesture. Hope the old codger had some fun.

Holding onto leftover currencies generally works for me.

 

1   We have been in a low interest rate environment, so it is often better to keep money in Baht or Euros & spend it on the next trip rather than encounter an extra layer of charges converting it back.

 

2  In some cases, if I go to a major economy, but am unlikely to be going back there for several years, I just wait until the next overseas trip & change the money direct from one overseas currency to the other.  I would be incurring charges anyway, but it is better just to have charges for buying a foreign currency & then using any leftover to buy another, rather than buy-sell-buy. 

I think that subconsciously I bring back foreign currency so that I will feel attached to returning to that country again.  Also I do not want to pay the reverse exchange rate differential and I am lazy.  I still have Laos kip from 20 years ago!

 

No more 1000 baht with King and Queen on back, but some 500s?!

I think that subconsciously I bring back foreign currency so that I will feel attached to returning to that country again.  

 

I do the same. Call it wishful thinking, but I tend to bring back a variety of notes - maybe a couple of thousand baht, total - so I don't need to stop with luggage at the airport the next trip. I have a slimline wallet I keep with my passport.

Holding onto leftover currencies generally works for me.

 

1   We have been in a low interest rate environment, so it is often better to keep money in Baht or Euros & spend it on the next trip rather than encounter an extra layer of charges converting it back.

 

2  In some cases, if I go to a major economy, but am unlikely to be going back there for several years, I just wait until the next overseas trip & change the money direct from one overseas currency to the other.  I would be incurring charges anyway, but it is better just to have charges for buying a foreign currency & then using any leftover to buy another, rather than buy-sell-buy. 

 

The amounts we are discussing wouldn't even make sense if you are talking interest rates. The interest on $600 is what? Yeah if you have left overs and come back that is valid but interest rates? lol I don't think so.

I always end up with a lot of coins leftover too. I definitely don't want them in my luggage. In the past I have left bowls full in my room for the cleaning lady, taken bags full to unsuspecting kid beggars (before realising they are part of a child slave labour ring)

 

What is your best way of getting rid of bundles of coins?

Spend them at 7/11 buying stuff you'll use at home ; e.g, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.

 

Or chocolate. Yum!

 

Or condoms for your next trip.

 

Or give them to the boys or the hotel staff.

 

Send them to Christian.

 

Plenty of ways to get rid of them.

I always end up with a lot of coins leftover too. I definitely don't want them in my luggage. In the past I have left bowls full in my room for the cleaning lady, taken bags full to unsuspecting kid beggars (before realising they are part of a child slave labour ring)

 

What is your best way of getting rid of bundles of coins?

first , try not  to accumulate too many bundles , easy to spent on small purchases like BTS, drinks or ice cream.

 

I personally like to have plenty of change on me if only in order to avoid waiting for proper change  in bars and to have handy money for small tips like in restaurants. So before I hit bars my first stop is usually change counter at Sala Daeng BTS 

 

If you stuck with bundles easy to spent in Swampy , not necessarily in overpriced duty frees but there's Family Mart  in the far right end with normal prices. As mentioned above I always give my remaining change to cleaning lady in airport I pass by or drop in charity box.

 

Once I saw somebody leaving several coins on the seat in the train at Swampy , I guess he had the some problem of what to do with spare change, nice problem to have 

I usually arrive back in Thailand with the 20,000 baht I withdrew at the end of my last trip. That'll keep me going for a few days.

Interesting point. Immigration law says that everyone entering Thailand on visa waiver or tourist visa (?) must have 20,000 THB or equivalent in other common currency on them. To my knowledge, this is only enforced in Sadao (where another Farang passenger on my van was sent back to Malaysia for lack of 20,000 THB in cash). But with my many tourist visas and visa free entries, I don't want to get stuck at immigration for lack of 20,000 THB, so I always take 20,000 THB in cash when I enter Thailand.

I always end up with a lot of coins leftover too.

 

What is your best way of getting rid of bundles of coins?

 

How does this happen? I always have a lot of 100 and 20 notes, and reasonable amount of coins.

 

Give them to me.

 

(I'm not trying to increase my count of posts, I'm way above the 100 to see the photo forum already, but when I copy/paste two quotes from different posters in one post, they get mixed up. Hence a separate post for every quote.)

Interesting point. Immigration law says that everyone entering Thailand on visa waiver or tourist visa (?) must have 20,000 THB or equivalent in other common currency on them. To my knowledge, this is only enforced in Sadao (where another Farang passenger on my van was sent back to Malaysia for lack of 20,000 THB in cash). But with my many tourist visas and visa free entries, I don't want to get stuck at immigration for lack of 20,000 THB, so I always take 20,000 THB in cash when I enter Thailand.

Really! I must have entered LOS 50 times or more, and I had never heard of this.

Really! I must have entered LOS 50 times or more, and I had never heard of this.

I heard  but in my 15 trips I was never asked about money on me , not than I'm not prepared

Interesting point. Immigration law says that everyone entering Thailand on visa waiver or tourist visa (?) must have 20,000 THB or equivalent in other common currency on them. To my knowledge, this is only enforced in Sadao (where another Farang passenger on my van was sent back to Malaysia for lack of 20,000 THB in cash). But with my many tourist visas and visa free entries, I don't want to get stuck at immigration for lack of 20,000 THB, so I always take 20,000 THB in cash when I enter Thailand.

Considering the ATM withdrawal charges, it can also make economic sense to bring cash as well.  

just take some money out 20,000 a pull and have some when you come. It isn't a difficult issue.

Really! I must have entered LOS 50 times or more, and I had never heard of this.

 

Could be a thing if you enter Thailand by land.  Many long-term stayers use (abuse?) the ordinary visa-exempt pass by crisscrossing the land borders for months on end and the Thai authorities ask them to show proof of income.

just take some money out 20,000 a pull and have some when you come. It isn't a difficult issue.

 

I have a friend from Singapore who runs a business in Thailand and she says a recently updated Thai bank statement/passbook showing the requisite amount or more would also be acceptable.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.