Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Eight Days in Seoul

Featured Replies

  • Popular Post

Arrival in Seoul: A Historical Introduction
I touched down in Seoul, eager to dive into its rich tapestry of history and culture. My first stop was the majestic Gyeongbokgung Palace. Built in 1395 during the Joseon Dynasty, this grand palace was the main royal residence, a fact that Jinwoo, a local I met on Grindr, shared enthusiastically as we toured its sprawling grounds. Finding someone on Grindr was easy and the night before, just logging in, I had multiple messages. He was sexy, cute and around 30.  Afterward, we wandered through Bukchon Hanok Village, admiring the perfectly preserved traditional Korean houses. These hanoks date back to the Joseon period, giving a living history lesson on the architectural style and urban planning of old Korea.

Exploring Royal Legacies: Changdeokgung and Insadong
With Jinwoo as my guide, I spent the next day at Changdeokgung Palace, another estate known for its beautifully landscaped gardens and as a favored residence of many Joseon princes. Its Huwon (Secret Garden) is a masterpiece of Korean garden design and a recognized UNESCO World Heritage site, which was designed to work in harmony with the natural terrain. Later, we strolled through Insadong, a district famous for its art galleries housed in traditional-style buildings, antique shops, and tea houses. Each shop offered a piece of Korea’s artistic heritage, from delicate ceramics to intricate metalwork.

Modern Vibrancy and Historical Views: Myeongdong and Namsan Seoul Tower
Venturing out alone, I immersed myself in the bustling streets of Myeongdong, a stark contrast to the historical sites. This shopping haven presented an array of modern Korean fashion and beauty products alongside traditional street food vendors. That evening, Jinwoo and I reunited to visit the Namsan Seoul Tower, located on Namsan Mountain. It closes at 11 but we got there MUCH earlier to see the beautiful lights. The tower offered panoramic views of Seoul, beautifully lit against the night sky.

Relaxation and Romance by the River: Hangang Park with Hyun-sik
Midweek, I met Hyun-sik, another engaging Grindr sexy hunk who introduced himself with a passion for Seoul’s green spaces. Together, we explored Hangang Park, a vital recreational space for Seoulites developed during the massive urban planning initiatives of the late 20th century. He wanted to bicycle the river area but I said I was too old for that shit and passed. That evening, Hyun-sik led me to the Banpo Bridge to witness its famous Rainbow Fountain show. The bridge, built in 1982, features over 10,000 LED nozzles that create a spectacular multicolored water display, beautifully illustrating Seoul's blend of technology and aesthetics.

A Day of Contrasts: Gangnam's Modernity and Bongeunsa Temple's Tranquility
Hyun-sik showed me around Gangnam, an area synonymous with modern affluence and dynamic culture. As we navigated through its high-end boutiques and tech hubs. We ended our day at Bongeunsa Temple, established in the 8th century during the Shilla Dynasty. This Buddhist sanctuary offered a peaceful retreat from the buzzing cityscape, with Hyun-sik highlighting its historical significance as a center of Zen Buddhism in Korea. But, he was Christian and driving from the airport, I will assume that there are MANY there as there were so many crosses and mega churches, I felt like I was back in Alabama but with a bunch of Asians.

Reflective Farewell: Itaewon and Last Supper
My final day in Seoul brought me to Itaewon, a district known for its diverse international community and vibrant nightlife. Hyun-sik and I indulged in a variety of global cuisines, reflecting on my journey through Seoul's past and present. We shared a heartfelt farewell dinner, promising to remain connected across the water.

I stayed at the Grand Walkerhill Seoul which also had a casino and many restaurants. I loved the tea house and the buffets there. But, things were so much more expensive than I remembered.

Seoul has gifted me with profound historical insights, contrasted beautifully by its modern vibrancy. The friendships I've formed here with Jinwoo and Hyun-sik not only enhanced my experiences but deepened my appreciation for this multifaceted city. I invited both boys to visit Bangkok and both said they would come, (we will see). :)

 

1 hour ago, TotallyOz said:

But, he was Christian and driving from the airport, I will assume that there are MANY there as there were so many crosses and mega churches, I felt like I was back in Alabama but with a bunch of Asians

 

Yes! I had the exact same thought during my first visit: I'm back in the Bible belt! 

  • 1 month later...

TotallyOz, thx for the report.

I guess both guys were not mb, and spoke english. If that's correct, is that common is seoul?

BTW, the hotel u mentioned is very far from center, no?

10 hours ago, 12is12 said:

TotallyOz, thx for the report.

I guess both guys were not mb, and spoke english. If that's correct, is that common is seoul?

BTW, the hotel u mentioned is very far from center, no?

I stayed at that hotel, yes, not in centre, but I seem to remember that you could access subway.

I first went to Seoul around 2018 and went back there with a friend last year. We took the high -speed ferry from Japan and stayed a couple of days in Busan before catching the train up to Seoul.

Seoul was disappointing as it was flattened in the Korean war and I don't think the reconstruction has been done successfully. The other problem I found was that everyone stinks of garlic! I nearly threw up when I first got into a taxi.

Busan was equally disappointing, as there isn't much to see, apart from the Gamcheon Culture Village. Also, there is a huge fish market in the centre of town and you can smell it all over the city. I'd hate to think what it is like in summer.

As for the Korean guys, both cities are full of impossibly cute and handsome young men. OMG! 

 

 

  • Author
On 6/6/2024 at 4:56 AM, 12is12 said:

TotallyOz, thx for the report.

I guess both guys were not mb, and spoke english. If that's correct, is that common is seoul?

BTW, the hotel u mentioned is very far from center, no?

They did not ask for money but I did buy them gifts. :) There were offers from mb online as well and they were twinkier and cute but I was happy with what I found. 

The hotel is not easy for most and away from main part of the city, but fabulous.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.