Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

You guys ever use Airbnb ?

Featured Replies

Of course Airbnbs are cheaper ( some)  ...but...just the hassle of checking in 👨‍💼...and other stuff ,eg cleaning ,  makes it easier to just book hotels 🏨

I have had some great Airbnbs and some not so good ones 

I find in Manila Philippines 🇵🇭Airbnbs much cheaper than hotels whilst in Bangkok I find them relatively same price

 

I tend to prefer AirBnBs for long stays - like when I stayed in Da Nang for 4.5 months and also for my 2 months in Cebu.

Why?

It allows me to obtain that feeling of "living like a local".  Also, when I use the amenities of the AirBnBs that are in larger condo complexes - I can meet the actual people who live in such places and then I can ask them all of my gazillion questions about what life is like there.

This is how I found my current condo 4 years ago that I currently rent in Jomtien.  I got to know the locals, the security team, the juristic office personnel, neighbors, groundskeepers, etc - and together they gave that family feeling  - and that is exactly what I was looking for.

When I stay in a hotel - I don't obtain any of these feelings / sensations.

When I go into Bangkok - I tend to stay in hotels - because I am generally in BKK to enjoy the Silom gay ghetto area and I don't require to know what it would be like to live in BKK, as I am not a big city guy and I much prefer beach towns.

2 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

When I go into Bangkok - I tend to stay in hotels - because I am generally in BKK to enjoy the Silom gay ghetto area and I don't require to know what it would be like to live in BKK, as I am not a big city guy and I much prefer beach towns.

Silom gay ghetto? Lol

I live in Airbnb if I am in Bangkok for a week or more mainly because I want to save money. Money saved goes to tips for the boys. I don't need to pay more for hotel facilities.

For weekend stays with my guy, I stay at hotels as we enjoy the breakfast and facilities together.

I am in Chiang Mai for 10 days and have an Airbnb in Nimman. I like having the extra room and facilities. If I don't want to go out and just have a lazy day in then it is much more comfortable than being in a small hotel room. 

I have 4 nights in BKK at the end of the trip and will be in Siam Heritage in an Executive Room for £165, including taxes. It is not the cheapest I could have got, but the rooms are pretty big, it has a kitchen facility, it is for 4 days, and I have a packed itinerary, and it is close to the bars, so it works well. 

5 minutes ago, Milk78 said:

I am in Chiang Mai for 10 days and have an Airbnb in Nimman. I like having the extra room and facilities. If I don't want to go out and just have a lazy day in then it is much more comfortable than being in a small hotel room. 

I have 4 nights in BKK at the end of the trip and will be in Siam Heritage in an Executive Room for £165, including taxes. It is not the cheapest I could have got, but the rooms are pretty big, it has a kitchen facility, it is for 4 days, and I have a packed itinerary, and it is close to the bars, so it works well. 

That room in Siam Heritage is difficult to find. It was always booked when I tried to get it! Great room with kitchen.

12 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

I tend to prefer AirBnBs for long stays

Same here.  On recent trips that were for an extended period of time, I preferred using Airbnb.  I like more space than offered in a hotel room plus use of a kitchen.  I also like to feel more like a local than a guest.  I have used Airbnb in Central and South America as well.  Always been very happy with the accommodations.  Even though we were only in Pattaya for one week during the most recent trip to Thailand, Cam and I had an Airbnb there as well.  That is also what I have booked for the upcoming trip to Cambodia.  

Getting ready for my first visit next week in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ko Samui. All three I'm staying in Airbnb's always prefer it that way.  I know there are hotel review sites, but I do like the review system on Airbnb. It's pretty reliable.

I like Airbnbs for longer stays too. Especially with a washing machine. Although there are lots of serviced apartment places in Bangkok that also have those sorts of facilities. 

I stayed at an Airbnb in Bangkok once a few years ago when I was in town for a few weeks. It was well-located but it was a "no Airbnb" building so I always felt like a criminal when I was coming and going. I understand that if you do a stay of longer than a month you are basically legal and can just be added to the security system and so forth. But the places I've stayed in Europe and elsewhere in Asia were quite nice. I had a great apartment in Canberra for a week one time.

I'm thinking that on my next to trip to Thailand I will try and stay for a couple of months so I may do Airbnb or some other short term rental

  • Author

Yes a washing machine is a necessity 

I'm now in a Airbnb in Makati , Manila , opposite a beautiful park 🏞️ 

Washing machine, balcony , gym , pool , security guards , 

I am unsure why they employ so many security guards particularly as this area ( Makati City) has so many farangs living here and is safe 

I must say though the Security guards👮‍♂️ are so friendly in this apartment building, far different from the Thai security guards ,these guys want to talk to you 

I just hate being called SIR everytime 

My Airbnb is 1400 pesos a night about 700 baht a night 🫩😊

 

 

  • Author

So many friendly people in my apartment building even an old farang I think German who lives in my building said "welcome to the Philippines" 

 

I would like to ask them why they choose Manila and not Bangkok to live but Manila is growing on me ! .

23 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

...I must say though the Security guards👮‍♂️ are so friendly in this apartment building, far different from the Thai security guards ,these guys want to talk to you 

I just hate being called SIR everytime...

Obviously these fine Gentlemen have not read this forum, else they'll soon form a different opinion.

  • Author
2 hours ago, BjornAgain said:

Obviously these fine Gentlemen have not read this forum, else they'll soon form a different opinion.

Exactly!

I prefer to call THEM Sir !!

And be dominated by their big ...batons 

  • Author

Unfortunately my first bad Airbnb in Makati Manila 

I should of done more research but it had a washing machine which I needed 

The reviews were ok ,no one mentioned the Air  conditioning is a wall one at level with the bed which means cold air blowing on you as you sleep, no one mentioned the rock hard bed 🛏️ 

The balcony has NO ☀️ sun for my clothes to dry

I stupidly booked for 3 nights 

Unfortunately with Airbnb it's a case of buying before seeing 😔

I will keep it for the next 2 nights ,use the washing machine and book a hotel 🛏️ 🏨 

Unfortunately I doubt Airbnb will give a refund , but putting a air conditioning unit in next to the bed 🙄and surely these hosts can put a mattress topper on 

Oh if you don't like it ...... LEAVE!! 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️

 

  • Active Members

I've seen a couple hotels in Thailand where the air conditioner is blowing directly toward the bed.  I believe the owners design it that way, to make it feel cold for anyone in bed, so hotel guests will adjust the thermostat, thereby saving on the electric bill for the hotel.

On 8/16/2026 at 1:16 PM, jason1975 said:

That room in Siam Heritage is difficult to find. It was always booked when I tried to get it! Great room with kitchen.

I must be lucky then - I have stayed in it three times!

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Well I had my first bad Airbnb experience after 11 years using and have just settled the dispute 

Last Thursday I received an message on the Airbnb app from the "bitch " host who apartment I stayed in a few days ( Manila Philippines )🇵🇭...she said she believes I burnt her sofa with the iron and sends me a picture 🖼️.of a iron stain 

Now I was shocked because I don't iron my clothes ... secondly it had been 6 days since I checked out , and of course she had customers in there since 

She accuses me of me "disrespectful" and not admitting it , and will report me to Airbnb she then says in a message " she will have me banned from the Phillipines"

I report this to Airbnb who I must say escalated my complaint and phoned me , a senior manager who was very nice and told me to block that host and they gave her the host  a warning ( so they tell me anyway) and I do not need to pay anything 

But guys this is the problem with Airbnb , the host can say anything unless you take pictures on  arrival & exit 

I'm also afraid of hidden internal cameras , I believe she the bitch host  watched me lick the Filipino pool boys ass 👅 🍑 

 

 

2 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

the host can say anything unless you take pictures on exit

Last year when I was staying in an AirBnB in Cebu (Mactan Newtown) there was an iron burn mark on the sofa covered up with a blanket.

On day 1, I immediately took a photo of it, as well as a video of the entire condo unit, and I wrote to the condo owner via the app to establish with her that I was not responsible for the iron burn mark.

She replied to me - thanks for bringing this to my attention and she confirmed to me that her cleaning lady had already brought it to her attention and that it was the result of a previous AirBnB customer.

The owner and I, we really hit it off and she helped me write my Gayguides trip report for Cebu when I had to compare, based on sqm. the comparison price per sqm. for rentals between Cebu, Da Nang, and Jomtien.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.