LAguy

What is the Bangsue area like?

Finally found out where I'm going to be staying for the summer in Bangkok... I've been told it's in the Bangsue area.  All I can tell is it's near the northern end of the Metro...

I really don't understand addresses yet... I've been told it's Prachachuen Road,off Soi 4 in Bangsue... I tried putting it into Google Maps, and get all kinds of different results... so far that's been useless...

Does anyone know anything about the area - other than it's far from all the fun?  :unknw:

ARGHHHHHH!  (But, yeah, I think it's supposed to be near the MRT

Yes, this place you mention is close to the Bang Sue station which is the northern end-of-the-line of the MRT. 

Chatuchak mall and park are not too far from there, but...

what did they tell you is so attractive there, middle in nowhere?

BS is quite a large quarter, its one of BKK's 50 local district. Is this the result of some airb&B offer?

As above: its ''fairly'' near the Bang Sue combined TRAIn (SRT, long distance) and end of MRT-station, and in april/may the extension of that MRT (=metro, underground'' rot faay fah taay din'') will open, but you will need to change for just 1 stop then. Its a for TH standards midclass area, as nondescript and mixed as well over half of suburban BKK, There is a lareg TESCO hypermarket closeby, and also a recent renovated giant wet market named Prachachuen. Klong Prapa=watermians is a dead-str8 long watercanal running through it, but expect nothing out of that. I do not know of any specific gay spots in that area, but with the new MRT you can by then easily get to the many local ones in Nonthburi (sauna, massage). Sapan Kwai is also ''fairly'' nearby (maybe a 50/60 bt taxi or free/6,5 bt bus-nr 97).

For Thai the area is somewhat notorious due to its giant police-station, (name is Tao Poon, which is also the common name for that area) whose officers are often seen as somewhat overzealous in ticketing persdons for whatever flimsy reason. There is/was? also a/one of many/ ''antique  sat/sun ''railway'' markets just a little further along that road-which as such has the usual enormous jams most of day.

I"m volunteering for the summer, and am placed with a host family.  The family I'm going to be with lives there.

As long as there's a way to get to the boys several times a week, I'll be happy....

Prachachuen Soi is at the southern end of Prachachuen road, about 1 km from MRT Bang Sue. Somewhere around here:

13°48'33.1"N 100°32'04.2"E (when I insert link, it disappears)

There are some saunas north (see my blog), and Chatuchak and other markets east, and the giant construction site of new railway terminal east. It's not that bad.

Prachachuen Soi is at the southern end of Prachachuen road, about 1 km from MRT Bang Sue. Somewhere around here:

13°48'33.1"N 100°32'04.2"E (when I insert link, it disappears)

There are some saunas north (see my blog), and Chatuchak and other markets east, and the giant construction site of new railway terminal east. It's not that bad.

Thanks Christian... I feel a bit better... although I asked the agency if they could find me something a little closer to where I'm working for the summer - which hopefully is also closer to the bars and boys ;-)

I"m volunteering for the summer, and am placed with a host family.  The family I'm going to be with lives there.

As long as there's a way to get to the boys several times a week, I'll be happy....

Hi LAguy,

can I ask what sort of volunteering you're doing?

Hi LAguy,

can I ask what sort of volunteering you're doing?

If ya don't mind, we can talk about that privately... not sure the place I'm working with would be thrilled being discussed on here.  :p