Guest ryanasia

Ask a former money boy anything

Some people have had more handles than Steve Coogan.

One in particular looks more like Beachlover/Snapshot every day.    I wonder how much further the latest incarnation has to run ?    

Wow, Ryan! Quite a rampage.

Was it something I said? Lol

"Go find some 和"

Oh, dear. Google translate!

This thread went off topic ages and pages ago.

And anyway, the title has the word "anything'" in it, so there is no specific topic.

"You are a guru here simply because nobody knows any better. "

Nobody? I think other members may object to that.

I will answer your question, even though it is off topic!

"When did you work in Japan? "

I moved to Japan when I was 13, went to high school and university in Tokyo and spent my entire working life there.

Oh, and sgdad, I wasn't "picking a fight with ryanasia" - I was merely replying to a post he made to me.

So, back to your "studies", sgdad. You're a student, remember? You don't have time to flood two boards with your crap.

(Why would a Singaporean choose to study in a place like Chiang Mai??)

(Why would a Singaporean choose to study in a place like Chiang Mai??)

one can learn everywhere.

last Dec from Jupiter  I offed Mekhin, former star of Tawan bar. When complemented him on his English I asked him where he learned it. Answer was " Tawan , Tawan university"  

last Dec from Jupiter  I offed Mekhin, former star of Tawan bar. When complemented him on his English I asked him where he learned it. Answer was " Tawan , Tawan university"  

Yes, it makes sense that what a Tawan star learns at "Tawan university" can be learned anywhere there are cocks and asses.

Guest ryanasia

Exactly, I acknowledged that I was making a broad generalisation and phrased my question tentatively.  Unlike you, I wasn't making emphatic statements about a distinct Asian point of view and dismissively labeling people (and their understanding of Asia) as Asian or un-Asian.

Anyway I know that you have a lot of free time now after being banned from SN and picking a fight with ryanasia and derailing this thread would give you something to do.

Ryanasia, sorry for that distraction.  Back to your post.  I think it's great that you managed to learn another language and immerse yourself in another culture as an adult (which I know is not easy to do) and you were probably on your own most of the time.   I'm doing something similar with Thai but I receive a lot of support and am in a structured programme.  My question for you is:  with your experience in Japan and Asia generally, why are you choosing to go back to the States and would you be making use of that experience when you're back home, say in a business or something?

I'm sure you've thought it through, done your homework, etc but do you think you'll be able to make the transition of living back in the West?  I ask because I have a very handsome Canadian friend who came to Thailand at 25 to work as a teacher and seven years later he's still here.  He tried to go back home twice but couldn't cope with the lifestyle there. So he's stuck here living in a cheap apartment and surviving on an English's teacher's wage.  I'm sure your situations are very different as you seem to have done well for yourself but I'm just curious about your thoughts on this.

My main gripe about Thailand these days is the state of the environment. I really like the abundant nature back home and it's pristine state. Also the current political climate in Thailand is simply not for me. Thailand is probably fun when you choose to come holiday here but the past year I have been more or less stuck here. So the thrill has worn off. It isn't necessarily Thailand's fault I am just ready to move on. Had marriage been a possibility a decade ago I probably wouldn't have moved to Thailand or built a business in Laos.

I love Japan and if there was an easy way to live there I would. I went to school there full time for two full years but at the end of studying you need to go to work or find something else to study. My tuition to study at language school was $3,000 a  year to put it in perspective. 

I loved Japan and I think it is my favorite country in the world other than the USA. I have used my Japanese for work in the USA setting up weddings in Waikiki. I have plans of doing an Airbnb for ec-ohuts and a canoe and biking business in the countryside. It is more straight forward to do in the USA than Thailand. Most of the perspectives on this forum are of older retirees. For them life is relatively easy but if you have a full life ahead of you and any ambition Thailand can be quite limited.

Have a website in development for my ideas and will share a peek when I am closer to getting it done. Should be up and running by next spring. 

June 16th and I am back home so not much of a wait for me now. 

L:OL at Ak47 suggesting I used google translate. I knew he would play that game. The Japanese he tested me with was like what I learned in my first two months of school. The expressions I used you wouldn't be able to type in English and get those words in Japanese.  頑張って、お上りさん。可愛い可愛いだね。笑

Guest ryanasia

Exactly, I acknowledged that I was making a broad generalisation and phrased my question tentatively.  Unlike you, I wasn't making emphatic statements about a distinct Asian point of view and dismissively labeling people (and their understanding of Asia) as Asian or un-Asian.

Anyway I know that you have a lot of free time now after being banned from SN and picking a fight with ryanasia and derailing this thread would give you something to do.

Ryanasia, sorry for that distraction.  Back to your post.  I think it's great that you managed to learn another language and immerse yourself in another culture as an adult (which I know is not easy to do) and you were probably on your own most of the time.   I'm doing something similar with Thai but I receive a lot of support and am in a structured programme.  My question for you is:  with your experience in Japan and Asia generally, why are you choosing to go back to the States and would you be making use of that experience when you're back home, say in a business or something?

I'm sure you've thought it through, done your homework, etc but do you think you'll be able to make the transition of living back in the West?  I ask because I have a very handsome Canadian friend who came to Thailand at 25 to work as a teacher and seven years later he's still here.  He tried to go back home twice but couldn't cope with the lifestyle there. So he's stuck here living in a cheap apartment and surviving on an English's teacher's wage.  I'm sure your situations are very different as you seem to have done well for yourself but I'm just curious about your thoughts on this.

My main gripe about Thailand these days is the state of the environment. I really like the abundant nature back home and it's pristine state. Also the current political climate in Thailand is simply not for me. Thailand is probably fun when you choose to come holiday here but the past year I have been more or less stuck here. So the thrill has worn off. It isn't necessarily Thailand's fault I am just ready to move on. Had marriage been a possibility a decade ago I probably wouldn't have moved to Thailand or built a business in Laos.

I love Japan and if there was an easy way to live there I would. I went to school there full time for two full years but at the end of studying you need to go to work or find something else to study. My tuition to study at language school was $3,000 a  year to put it in perspective. 

I loved Japan and I think it is my favorite country in the world other than the USA. I have used my Japanese for work in the USA setting up weddings in Waikiki. I have plans of doing an Airbnb for ec-ohuts and a canoe and biking business in the countryside. It is more straight forward to do in the USA than Thailand. Most of the perspectives on this forum are of older retirees. For them life is relatively easy but if you have a full life ahead of you and any ambition Thailand can be quite limited.

Have a website in development for my ideas and will share a peek when I am closer to getting it done. Should be up and running by next spring. 

June 16th and I am back home so not much of a wait for me now. 

L:OL at Ak47 suggesting I used google translate. I knew he would play that game. The Japanese he tested me with was like what I learned in my first two months of school. The expressions I used you wouldn't be able to type in English and get those words in Japanese.  頑張って、お上りさん。可愛い可愛いだね。笑

This thread meanders all over and the personal attacks are about to have some more members suspended.  If you can't be civil you don't belong on this Board and you will be permanently banned.

Topic Closed!