Guest bidreamer

English or Tinglish?

Guest bidreamer

The thread about the language schools reminded me something that I sometimes wonder about - how to talk to your thai boy or bf? Some people seem to be of opinion that not speaking proper English is kind of degrading or condescending towards your partner. On the other hand, if speaking tinglish makes the conversation easier, then why not? I for one seem to have fallen into the habit of speaking the same kind of English to my bf that he himself uses, although it can be rather amusing at times. The problem is, I catch myself talking this way also to people who speak perfect english -embarrasing!

I do try to sometimes point out the correct way or a better word, such as that 'after' is not really the same as 'later'. Or suggest him some correct ways instead of his usual "What time now?". For that, the bf tried out the alternatives, thought it over and stated, "What time now better!"

But sometimes there is a real problem, like when he went to see a doctor for a persistent cought and when asked on Line, what did the doctor say, the answer came: "Have long time cancer"! I was shocked, but then it transpired that he meant "If not treated for a long time, can have cancer..."

Generally, if speaking to a Thai who speaks some English, I believe in using correct English, since people learn by listening and imitating.  That's how children do it and it's how I try to work when aiming to improve the grasp of a foreign language.   So using Tinglish is doing them no favours.

However, if you go into a bar and ask for the bill, instead of asking for the check bin, you are not going to get very far. So some adaptation is required.

For me the important thing is being able to communicate with my friends the best I can.

There are some Thais whose English is fluent/conversational, but not many; there are some who, being relatively new to the game, have virtually no English at all, and then there are those in the middle with a varying smattering of English.

So I will adapt to whoever I am talking to, mostly its Tinglish. I certainly dont see that as being condescending it is just a practical compromise to communication.

I had a ladyboy GF for a while who was a deaf-mute and we still managed a degree of communication, made-up sign language, emoticons on the phone, etc. etc..

The ability, at whatever level, to communicate with my barfines makes a big difference to my enjoyment of the experience (although if the sex is great all is forgiven of course).

I try and keep in mind that poor though their English may be, it is still better than my Thai!

Guest abang1961

When I was young and schooling then, I took "summer" courses in French and Japanese.

Besides practising the language in class, I made the best resolution, i.e. to find men of these nationality.

So there was a phase in my mid-teens where I "talent-scouted" these men at the local beaches and swimming pools.

You may have started to roll your eyes..that I've started early.. early enough yes but NOT all the young and naive.

Besides the normal Bonjour. Merci beaucoup, Konnichiwa and Kawaii, I exchanged lots of saliva and other body fluids to improve my proficiency of the language and had a better understanding of the people and the country.

So besides going to school for proper lessons, encourage your boy/man to communicate (in more than 1 way) with English-speaking farangs.  Tell them to use the knowledge they'd learnt with their clients regularly. Remember, practice makes perfect - the same with sex, the more sex one has, the better his skills!

Some people seem to be of opinion that not speaking proper English is kind of degrading or condescending towards your partner. 

Hi bidreamer,

your post contains numerous English errors. 

Guest bidreamer

Hi McGarty,

I was sort of waiting for that comment! Yes I am sure it does, as you probably guessed it is not my mother language. I was rather careful not to claim that my own english is perfect, the point being instead whether or not it is a good idea to scrap it down to an even more basic level. Judging from other comments, I managed to get that point across even with that faulty english...