traveller123

Cost of Schengen Visa

I am planning a visit from Thailand to Spain/UK/Belgium/France with my Thai partner in May 2017.

I am a UK national and my partner and I have a UK registered civil partnership.

As usual the good old UK will screw us for his UK tourist visa.

But my question is:

If I have read the Spanish visa requirements correctly there will be no charge for a visa for an EC nationals spouse or civil partner.

Has anyone experience of applying for a Schengen/Spanish visa in such circumstances?

You know I'm ashamed to admit that in all my years it has simply NEVER occurred to me to try to arrange to bring or meet or organise a Schengen Visa for a Thai guy that would enable us to holiday together elsewhere in Europe ! What a great idea for a mutually enjoyable holiday ! 

Sorry I can't answer your direct question but I hope you are both successful in your application and that it does work out free of charge for you.

You know I'm ashamed to admit that in all my years it has simply NEVER occurred to me to try to arrange to bring or meet or organise a Schengen Visa for a Thai guy that would enable us to holiday together elsewhere in Europe ! What a great idea for a mutually enjoyable holiday ! 

Sorry I can't answer your direct question but I hope you are both successful in your application and that it does work out free of charge for you.

Thanks.

My partner and I have just celebrated 8 years together.

He has had several UK visas and one Spanish visa four years ago obtained at the Consulate in Edinburgh but all of these were before our UK Civil Partnership.

Unfortunately the Spanish Embassy in Bangkok has a reputation for making life difficult, but I have to say the agency the Embassy uses to process applications are trying to be helpful.

We will submit the application on February 20th (I like to be organised)

Yes i've a Flipino BF who (then) had a permanent "right to reside" visa for living here in the UK, which is doubly annoying as he lived and worked here, full time, for years, paid taxes here the lot - but yet we STILL couldn't go to the likes of Spain or Amsterdam for even a weekend break - or crazily go over the Irish border to Southern Ireland for normal every day shopping ( the border is about 30 minutes drive from my home where we both live) - SO annoying !!

Same as you we had to PHYSICALLY go to the Spanish consulate in Edinburgh ( he rang and was told he MUST attend in person so over we went for the weekend) only for some cheeky arrogant SCOTTISH git at the door ( sorry SG but it's true) a) to talk to him like he was some piece of shit on arrival, grill him as to why he was there and tell him "you could have just posted this you know I don't know what you're doing here" - and this was the £6 an hour SECURITY guard on the front door !

I then ( who had held my tongue until that moment ) went to go in the door of the embassy waiting area with him ( as it was absolutely pissing down outside) only for same guard to stop me and say I'd just have to wait in the street as "I'd no business there" ( I should add this was at around 11am and the large waiting room was TOTALLY empty!) - well, as I WASN'T waiting for a visa and had nothing to lose by god he got it between the ears in true Irish / Scottish style and he was reminded that he wasn't talking to some poor visa seeking visitor begging for their goodwill and that he'd get his jaw realigned if he spoke to me like that again.

Meanwhile my BF had been called on in to see the visa issuing consul staff member, who I'm told was equally as cheeky and shitty to him behind closed doors and I just WISH I'd of been told that before we left the place as he'd of been getting a piece of Irish manners put in him too. Personally I'd of told them to stick their visa and their country but my BF being of a cooler mind stayed calm and was eventually handed his visa for a long weekend trip - he asked for a 3 entry visa ( as he's been given before by the Netherlands etc) only for that to be declined and him given a one entry visit visa - shower of cunts the lot of them ! I've since read that both the Consul there and their staff have a reputation for being total cunts to all who enter and their bad manners that reflect so badly on Spain are plastered all over various visa chat rooms all over the internet apparently.

Thankfully my BF is now a full British citizen so we won't have to go through all that nonsense anymore but I SO feel for anyone that does and all just simply to go on holiday !

Mind you after Brexit I'd better say nothing as give it a few months and we ALL might be needing our own Schengen application forms ! Well fuck it, if that's the case I think I'll just stay home ( or go to Thailand more) !

Best of luck.