Jasper

Soi 4 Telephone bar manager got engaged to a British guy

Guest ryanasia

There is one born every minute!

No, simply people have it and some people don't. Normally people spend proportionately to their level of income in regards to their weddings. I doubt this guy will loose any sleep over this sort of amount.

It isn't more than an average wedding in the west in regards to cost. I set up weddings in Waikiki for the Japanese, this amounts wouldn't pay for the drinks at the reception.

Guest DThump

It isn't more than an average wedding in the west in regards to cost. I set up weddings in Waikiki for the Japanese, this amounts wouldn't pay for the drinks at the reception.

One big difference in Waikiki marrige is legally excepted.....Thailand does not recognize same sex marriges as being legal.

Guest ryanasia

One big difference in Waikiki marrige is legally excepted.....Thailand does not recognize same sex marriges as being legal.

Yes and ceremonies such as this one do us all the tremendous benefit of highlighting that discrepancy. If you think this ceremony is meaningless than all gay marriage ceremonies before our over lords agreed to grant us legal status must be meaningless as well?

Your point makes no sense. You are complaining that they had a meaningless ceremony because of their human rights being denied. This is the path forward to others doing the same thing. I will give you a hint though at the time I set up weddings in Waikiki gay marriage was also not allowed. 

So by your logic every marriage before the laws changed must have also had no meaning. This is part of the road map forward. Having this be a news story and younger Thais seeing some fairly successful people being able to get married isn't insignificant.

Guest Promsak

Thailand does not recognize same sex marriges as being legal.

Isn,t that why they're going to England to repeat the ceremony?

Please pay attention.

Many straight Thai couples have similar wedding ceremonies that are also not officially recognized. That's not what such a ceremony is for, plain and simple, so I don't see any reason why a gay couple shouldn't have one.

The only real difference is that a straight couple can go to their district office to register their marriage, which isn't a very festive affair by any standard. These two gentlemen will have to fly to England for that. I don't think it diminishes the meaning of the ceremony they've had in Thailand - to them, their families and their friends - in any way. More power to them for having "two weddings"!

Guest ryanasia

The issue some are having is the amount spent it seems. In a political climate where you can spend 1 million Baht just to secure a visa people consider it ostentatious that somebody would give that amount as a gift. Joking aside it is good for them to have what many consider a tacky display of wealth. Straight people do it all the time. 

This sort of thing is exactly what Thailand is trying to attract these days. Monied up farang that pay up front like that are nothing to be shunned. Some of the ridicule particularly over on TV is coming from guys who see this as a threat. The straight comments over there on the matter have been nothing less than priceless. 

The realization that Thailand would rather have some rich queer than some straight poverty level pensioner is pretty funny.

Guest ryanasia

I have to disagree, Ryan, compared with what I've read on here, most comments on TV (after modding, granted) are outright gracious. ;)

I guess we all pick our battles. I am guessing they cleaned that thread up a bit if this is the first time you saw it.

Guest ryanasia

I have to disagree, Ryan, compared with what I've read on here, most comments on TV (after modding, granted) are outright gracious. ;)

Okay here is the latest from TV. I can't believe that there is no moderation. The world doesn't need more gays and you say it is just hunky fucking dory over there?

post-10435-0-37348200-1492021083_thumb.png