reader

Immigration card change?

They should get rid of that nonsense entirely. Not even Communist Vietnam has it.

Singapore still uses embarkation cards (I think that's what they call them) for foreigners entering the country.

They were using embarkation cards when I went to Australia in January 2013.  What was cool about Australia was that they stamped me in but didn't stamp me out on my exit.  I don't know if that was because I had an ETA which was valid for twelve months.

Malaysia has done away with it.  Instead, we have to scan our two index fingers on a fingerprint scanner which is also kinda cool.

These little formalities don't bother me - it's hard to explain but it's part of the excitement of "going somewhere" as I don't get to travel frequently.  My only problem with it is the unnecessary use of paper and the damage it does to our environment.  All that photocopying in duplicate and triplicate that is required at uni and by some Thai government departments...urgh!

Malaysia has done away with it.  Instead, we have to scan our two index fingers on a fingerprint scanner which is also kinda cool.

Immigration in Penang was very quick earlier this year.   No queue.   Processing me was speedy, despite the finger printing. 

Then my bag was there within approx 5 minutes of getting there.

Perhaps they have the same system USA and Canada has - when you are leaving you are not going through immigration / emigration at all, just through security and you are out.

Ah I see.  I didn't know that.

Perhaps they have the same system USA and Canada has - when you are leaving you are not going through immigration / emigration at all, just through security and you are out.

Australia have done away with the green card when leaving but still use the brown card for arriving. Passports are now scanned rather than stamped and holders of Australian passports (E passports) can now self scan both on exit and arrival and have their picture taken both times as well, makes for a quick pass through immigration. And yes you must still pass through immigration if not self scanning then at the counter with an official on both exit and arrival