reader

The best cock

THEY SHOULD BAN THIS CRUEL TYPE CRAP...

Totally agree, but unfortunately rural Thais have a totally different view of animals to most of us, 

I despair at the state of SOME of the dogs in our village (the majority although allowed to roam free are in good health).

There are several houses in the village with fighting cocks in the large basket  kept outside of houses.

I am the only foreigner in our village, the locals are very friendly but I do remember I am a guest in their country and although I forcefully tell my partner what I think about the treatment of animals I know expressing my views outside of our house would make me unpopular

Even if the Central Government banned cock fighting I am 100% sure it would continue in the villages

It's an unappealing practice based on our cultural norms.  But telling people, in their own country, who come from a very different culture they they are engaging in a cruel act is a bit presumptuous. It echoes of the kind of stuff you hear so often from the we-know-better NGO's representatives.

We come to Thailand as their guests, as Traveller123 says.  It doesn't mean we have to endorse all aspects of their way of life but neither does it mean that we should challenge their customs.

Mai pen rai.

But telling people, in their own country, who come from a very different culture they they are engaging in a cruel act is a bit presumptuous.

is it equally presumptuous to tell people in cultures practicing female genital mutilation that they are engaging in a cruel act? or is this also just we-know-better NGO interference?

or does it only become presumptuous if I am residing in that country when I make the comment - sorry, if I am a guest in that country and have therefore automatically relinquished all my rights to express an opinion?

bkkguy

does it only become presumptuous if I am residing in that country when I make the comment - sorry, if I am a guest in that country and have therefore automatically relinquished all my rights to express an opinion?

bkkguy

Great point, bkkguy.

I wish you Godspeed on your next trip to an Issan where you set the backward villagers straight, and again when you do the likewise in Africa and middle east where even more heinous practices exist.

It's fine to have convictions; it's admirable when you exhibit the courage of those convictions.

Relinquish nothing, as the second amendment advocates say.

I am an Australian living in Thailand - what is a "second amendment" and what has it got to do with this discussion?

however I do fully understand and support traveller123 having an opinion on cock fighting  and making a pragmatic decision about when and how to express that opinion, as I also fully support Thais in his village having an opinion and making a pragmatic decision about when and how to express that opinion

I also understand that cultures may decide to reject outside comments on their customs

what I don't understand is your presumably sarcastic "It's fine to have convictions; it's admirable when you exhibit the courage of those convictions" and your previous statement that as a guest we should not "challenge" local customs

and who said I thought the villagers were "backward" and needed to be set straight?

you are really showing your true colours here!

bkkguy

what I don't understand is your presumably sarcastic "It's fine to have convictions; it's admirable when you exhibit the courage of those convictions" and your previous statement that as a guest we should not "challenge" local customs

and who said I thought the villagers were "backward" and needed to be set straight?

You seem to overlook that I acknowledged that you made a great point in your original post: I didn't disagree with you on that.

Think I stated pretty clearly what I thought when I said it's admirable to have the courage of your convictions.  It's one thing to talk the talk, another altogether to walk the walk.

I did imply that those (you in this case) who believe that the villages must be backwards to enjoy cock fighting should have no problem then in confronting them.

I leave it to you to select your own favorite color because it would be presumptuous of me to do so.