reader

New Pattaya-Bangkok train in March

From Khaosod English

E13010583-10-696x464.jpg

BANGKOK — An air-conditioned passenger train will begin operating from the capital to Pattaya next month, state railway authorities said Monday.

Depending on popularity, the new rail service may be made permanent – or canceled altogether.

“We want there to be more of a tourism feel when people are on their way to Pattaya,” Oratai Suwannatas, tourism marketing executive at the State Railway of Thailand said. “We expect Thai tourists and also a large number of Chinese tourists to use the train.”

The train will start trial runs on a yet unannounced date in March. It will depart Bangkok at 6:30am and reach Pattaya at 9am. For the return trip, the train will depart Pattaya at 3:50pm and reach the capital at 6:50pm.

That makes for a journey a little slower than the average drive, but without the driving or hunting for a bus.

The train will have six stops: Si Racha town, North Pattaya, Pattaya Floating Market, Nong Nooch Tropical Botanical Garden, Wat Yan Sang Wararam and finally terminate at Ban Phlu Ta Luang in Sattahip district.

Oratai said that the diesel-run train is still in its planning stage and will have a trial period of six months. It will run only on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

Ticket prices for the of the air-conditioned trains have not been decided yet, but Oratai said that “the investment cost for trains is high.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2018/02/05/pattaya-bangkok-weekend-air-conditioned-train-run-march/

I'm finally beginning to see a potential explanation for the early start.

If they expect large numbers of Thai tourists to use the train, is that early start for cheap day trips from Bangkok to the seaside ?

It can make no sense for anyone staying for a while in a hotel, since you want to arrive after 14:00 to check in to the hotel & want to leave by early afternoon.

If they expect large numbers of Thai tourists to use the train, is that early start for cheap day trips from Bangkok to the seaside ?

Good news is Nong Nooch Gardens now may be visited by train

It does appear that the railroad authority is zeroing in on day trippers and one-night visitors who are traveling light (small backpack).  I'm not fond of early departures but I might be persuaded to try it just for the experience of the train ride itself--one I've never made.

The multiple stops, like Nogn Nooch, add attractive options. It may also help introduce first-time visitors to Pattaya.  And anything that keeps travelers from taking to the road can't be a bad thing.  Hope it succeeds.

I'm finally beginning to see a potential explanation for the early start.

It can make no sense for anyone staying for a while in a hotel, since you want to arrive after 14:00 to check in to the hotel & want to leave by early afternoon.

It might good for folks in Pattaya going for a night on the town in Bangkok. I might try it.