reader

Google and your location history

From CNBC

105393786-1534182669275screenshot2018-08

Here's what it looks like when you let Google store your location history. Even if you pause this setting though, the company will still store information about your your physical whereabouts.

Turning off location history doesn't stop Google from storing where you've been — here's how to limit the info it logs 

• Contrary to what a user might reasonably assume, pausing "Location History" on a Google account doesn't actually stop it from storing time-stamped location data.
  •  
  • Privacy conscious users should pause the "web and app activity" setting too.

Do you think you've stopped Google from storing information about your physical whereabouts? You might want to double check.

Contrary to what a user might reasonably assume, pausing "Location History" tracking on a Google account doesn't actually stop the search giant from storing time-stamped location data, as revealed by The Associated Press.

Google makes it very easy to pause your location history, which saves information about where you go, through its Activity Controls page. If you pause location history, Google says that "the places you go are no longer stored."

That message is misleading, however.

Unless your turn off "web & app activity" tracking as well, Google will still store precise, time-stamped location data.

For example, even after I paused my Location History, Google still logged my latitude and longitude information when I searched for something:

Even if a user turned off their location history, information stored through those location markers could still paint a clear picture about their physical whereabouts over time. For example, clicking on that location marker opened up a Google Maps display that showed exactly where I was when I made that search query.

While Google's Location History is turned off by default, the web and app activity tracking is turned on by default. Without checking their "my activity" page, a user might never know that Google apps and websites are storing their location information.

Continues at

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/13/how-to-stop-google-from-storing-your-location-history.html

Unless your turn off "web & app activity" tracking as well, Google will still store precise, time-stamped location data.

and reading all that above one wonders if even turning ' web& app activity " off does the trick or there's something else.

All totalitarian regimes  of today and of future are / will salivate at such an opportunity  and even democratic ones  will be tempted to use it and abuse in a name of say 'security', just stay tuned and wait 

Currently I live in a liberal democracy & if google maps shows records of me going around the bars in Sunee Plaza, that's no problem with me.    No laws broken.    Google maps does show me visiting Sunee Plaza etc.

Obviously circumstances may change, particularly when our opposition appear to be some kind of Nazis.   If they were elected, I can switch off the GPS, use fake GPS or leave the phone in the hotel when those days arrive.

More concerning would be the disappearance of cash & moves to completely electronic payment.   Then totalitarian governments could impose negative interest rates and all sorts of other horrors on the population.    Keep using your cash as long as it is available.

I recall an author of murder mysteries remarking that it was harder to write good mysteries these days because all the location data available to police, including fictional police detectives. 

but somehow humanity is carrying on and there are still unresolved murders and other crimes

Thanks for sharing this. Checked it out and it does seems to record some of my movements. Needless to say, ive deleted them and disable them completely lol. Sad to say it is necessary in my country to do this. And yes, it records with dates and time i was in arena, and how many times i went there lol. Its not perfect, it records me being in hotmale when im in dreamboys for example. Some places i went were not recorded too. Eitherway, no need for google to know where i go lol