TotallyOz

Question about Tags for Posts

In another thread, it was suggested we use tags to highlight specific posts to make them easily searchable. We have two options:

Open - means users can create any tag name

Closed - admin sets the tags and members can select them

Ex: Pattaya, restaurants, trip reports - all three could be tags and admin can add and update any time.

Open leaves more user options but may be harder to find things if someone uses tag Pattaya Fun as opposed to just Pattaya. 

Thoughts?

Can admin somehow have a specific lists of tags ready and user can only chooses from the lists? If user have other tags that they believe should be included in the list, they can request in this suggestion thread. Tags is only useful if its popular words or name of bars etc, and maybe gay related like body type etc.

Yes, admin can add any tag if it is a closed system. So, in a thread like this, if someone requests a tag, we can add it. This limits the useless tags. But, I want this to be a community decision as you guys will be the ones using the tags. I'll accommodate what is requested.

A closed tag list may be better.   If it is open we may get about 6 variants of each tag, with only one spelt correctly.   Well, that's how it worked with a database at my former.  Maybe we have a better standard here.

I've always had mixed results searching for previous information prior to a trip.  Searching for Hua Hin was not possible as far as I could tell, due to a minimum of 4 characters.

16 hours ago, spoon said:

Can admin add tags to existing topics? At the very least, trip report topics which i think deserved to be tagged as trip report with location (pattaya, bangkok, etc) for easy search. An alternative to having a specific thread on trip report

If you report a post or let the admin know the specific URL, the answer is yes, that is easy to do.  The best way to ensure this is done is to hit report post and then make a request for the tag.