reader

Police Capt. Kills Fishball Seller in Hit-and-Run

From Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Police on Monday said results of an alcohol and drug test of a police officer who killed a fishball seller in a hit-and-run would take “weeks.”

Police Capt. and socialite Akarawin Taechaubol, or “Hiso Jimmy,” turned himself into investigators on Thursday after he struck the victim, 49-year-old Udom Saengkanya, and fled the scene. 

Khlong Tan police chief Col. Ruetee Pandum said by phone that an alcohol and drug test for Akarawin was undergoing. 

“We have to wait for the results. It will take weeks since we only filed on Thursday,” Ruetee said by phone Monday. “I don’t know how he settled with paying the family, but I heard he went to the funeral.”

Akarawin’s BMW crashed into Udom and killed him close to Phattanakarn Soi 17 at about 4am on Thursday. Akarawin fled the scene by hopping onto an Alphard driven by one of his men who happened to be trailing behind him. 

Akarawin turned himself into the police at 4pm the same day, and confessed to hitting Udom, police said. 

He was charged with reckless driving resulting in death, which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and fine of 200,000 baht, and fleeing the scene of an accident, which is punishable by six months in prison and a 20,000 baht fine. 

Akarawin was released on bail of 100,000 baht. No one else has been charged. 

Akarawin works as a sub-inspector at the strategic division of the Narcotics Suppression Bureau. He is also the heir to JC Kevin Development real estate company, worth 800 million baht.

The firm is best known for the Anantara Bangkok hotel, the Sathorn Heritage Residences condo, the Signor Sassi restaurant at Siam Paragon, and Zhen Dou Grand restaurant at Anantara Bangkok. 

According to Akarawin’s Instagram bio, he had the UK education and upbringing common to many super-elite Thais: he went to Winchester College for high school, University College London for his Bachelor’s and Imperial College London for his Master’s. 

On 10/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, vinapu said:

at least by going to his victims funeral and thus facing family directly he showed some courage and decency

Sorry vivapu, I think it an absolute disgrace that he turned up. How would your family feel if the person who murdered you and then ran from the crime scene turned up at your funeral?

This criminal policeman is a member of the "super elite" and the heir to a family fortune. Remember what happened to the Red Bull heir, Boss whatever his name is? More than 8 years ago around 5 in the morning he murdered a traffic policeman in cold blood by mowing him down on Sukhumvit driving around 100 mph and then dragging the body for a few hundred meters before escaping to his family compound. His family would not release him and the Ferrari to the police for about 8 hours. Even so, he still had alcohol and drugs in his system. He has succeeded in escaping justice for 8 long years, finally fleeing Thailand in his private jet in 2017. Even with an Interpol arrest warrant, he is still at large allegedly enjoying the high life in Dubai.

When the elite government announced earlier this year that all charges against him were being dropped, there was such an outcry on social media it was forced to do a U turn and reopen the case. Interpol is again involved. What's the betting that both he and now the murderer policeman get off scot free in the fullness of time. Money talks in Thailand.

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

Sorry vinapu, I think it an absolute disgrace that he turned up. How would your family feel if the person who murdered you and then ran from the crime scene turned up at your funeral?

Knowing my family I'd venture in the same circumstances they thought the same like me  , that he is my killer but has courage to face directly his sinister deed.

He is killer , not murderer.

But I agree wholeheartedly with rest of your statement although that  Boss guy will live his life  on the run and one day he may misstep and face justice. Money talks we we would like to believe that not 100% of the time.

From The Thai Enquirer

Opinion: A rich Thai socialite just killed a pedestrian in a hit-and-run; the legal double standards are shocking

Meet Akarawin “Jimmy” Taechaubol, a young, prominent Thai businessman, socialite, millionaire heir to the JC Kevin Development real estate empire, and police captain working as a sub-inspector at the strategic division of the Narcotics Suppression Bureau.

On the morning of October 22, Akarawin struck his friend’s BMW into 49-year-old Udom Saengkaya, a lukchin (fishball) vendor who was on his way home from work.

Udom died on the spot, with his body faced down on the ground, head bloodied, and limbs broken. 

Khlong Tan police chief Col. Ruetee Pandum, was asked [Ed: We have now bolded, struckthrough, underlined, and italicized the previous link so people won’t miss it] whether Akarawin will ever face a prison sentence, reportedly laughed nervously and responded, “that’s up to the court.”

These will most likely be the only charges against him. Almost a week later, and it’s almost as if the case has been dropped, with hardly anyone or news media talking about it.

This is not the first, the fifth, nor the last time Thailand will see this happen. The culture of impunity is so glaringly obvious, yet so normalized, ignored, and celebrated even, by mostly those holding onto power.

We’ve seen it happen before, most recently and notoriously with the Red Bull heir case: eight years later, and Vorayuth Yoovidhya still hasn’t been held accountable for killing Wichian Klanprasert. His case was almost dropped back in July, if not for public outrage.

Akarawin Taechaubol, no matter the intention, family background, or wealth, should face the same consequences and prosecution within the Thai justice system.

Akarawin’s story, like Vorayuth, are merely symptoms of a disease that is far more problematic — and that is the Thai judiciary system.

The privileged Thais, those in power, and people like Akarawin should not be put on a pedestal and made to feel that their lives are more important and worthy than others, merely because they have more in superficial and material gains.