reader

Hanoi urban rail project starts 20-day trial run

From Vietnam News

127847_9.jpg

HÀ NỘI — The long-delayed Cát Linh-Hà Đông urban rail project, the first metro in Hà Nội, entered a 20-day whole-system trial run on Saturday.

At 5am on Saturday morning, the first train left Cát Linh station. Another train also left Yên Nghĩa station in the outlying district of Hà Đông at about the same time.

Nine trains of the project’s total of 13 are to be used in the trial, with the wait for a train at any station set at about 6-7 minutes, which might be shortened to 2-3 minutes during rush hours, according to the Hà Nội Metro One Member Company Limited (HMC).

There will be about 287 train trips per day, the company said.

Each train has four carriages and a capacity of 900 people, with a designed speed of 80km/h and a speed during commercial runs of about 35km/h.

The company said it has mobilised all of its 700 officials and workers and employees to work on the line during the trial, with safety, technical maintenance and security sectors staffed around the clock..

The trains will run non-stop from 5am to 11pm on the 13km urban rail line, with each stop lasting for 30 seconds to pick up and drop off passengers just like it would during commercial runs.

6 hours ago, fedssocr said:

wow. that's a lotta car traffic sitting still. It's been over a decade since I was in Hanoi. It was mostly motorbikes then. I guess the growing middle class are buying cars like they do everywhere

my thoughts exactly when seeing that photo